It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

nannie8 HB User
Chronic itchy clitoral/vulva area, help!

Hi all,

I have had an issue with itching for almost 8 months now. I had an abdominal hysterectomy over a year ago and I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention it. I still have my ovaries and therefore no hormone issues that I know of and I am not even in periomenopause yet. I'm 44 years old.

Anyway, about 8 or 9 months ago I started having a horrible itch in the clitoral area and inside of my upper labia. It gets so bad sometimes at night that I can't help but scratch the heck out of it, but I try not to. I have tried cortisone creams and that really hasn't done much good. I went to my gynecologist and she did a vulvar biopsy (on the outside of the labia, not where the itch is, but I understand they don't do biopsies of the sensitive tissue around the clitoris). The results were negative for the biopsy. I went back to her last week and she said I had a discharge in my vagina, so she sent out to have cultures done and those tests came back negative for any infections; no yeast or vaginitis or anything. I have not had sexual intercourse for some time, so I know it isn't that. I use perfume free, dye free detergents to wash my clothes and pure soap that has no additives or irritants.

I don't know what to do at this point. The doc said to discontinue with the yeast medication she had given me since there was no infection. I'm waiting for her office to call back, but if there is nothing there, then what can be causing this maddening itch?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Chronic itchy clitoral/vulva area, help!

Treat the area for yeast infection and you most likely will get relief. That is a difficult area to keep free of yeast.

Even tho tests do not show yeast infections I can tell when there is yeast due to the discomfort/itching that takes place before it will show up in a test.

Nystatin Cream is great, it is a prescription.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

SweetPea143 HB User

Hi,

i am also battling a chronic itch. But my itchy is mostly internally, around the opening of my vagina and occasionally on the external vulva and sometimes on my anus itches too . I have been suffering from this itchy/burning sensation for almost 9 months now. I've tested negative for everything too and i use unscented stuff too. Also, ive tried numorous anti-fungal and antibiotic meds...almost everything OTC and prescription you can think of... Eventhough, ive tested negative for everything i honestly think this is yeast that im suffering from. Is it possible to have strains of yeast that are resistant and undetectable?? I want to try the nystatin cream...have any of you tried boric acid supossitories? I want to try those too...thanks for reading.

Last edited by SweetPea143; 03-07-2010 at 10:10 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPea143 For This Useful Post:
ozl54 (09-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
(female)

pegbusymom HB User

Hi there. I know this may sound crazy but for me: I had to go from Nylon underware to all cotton, and no baths. It seems like this Yeast stuff thrives in warmth or anything that maintains that warmth.
I also used over the counter yeast cream. This helped some but in the end, I ended up with a perscription pill call Fluconazole which is a perscription from a doctor for yeast and yeast related infections.
I hope this helps. Have a good night!

Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
(female)

SweetPea143 HB User

Thank you for your insight pegbusymom. I really appreciate it. I know what perscription you are talking about. That is actually the only med. that really seemed to help me so I am taking it every 3 days for a month and I think I am actually finding some relief from it. How long and how much did you take Fluconazole for? I really hope taking this med this long will do the trick for me!....

Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
(female)

pegbusymom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea143 View Post
Thank you for your insight pegbusymom. I really appreciate it. I know what perscription you are talking about. That is actually the only med. that really seemed to help me so I am taking it every 3 days for a month and I think I am actually finding some relief from it. How long and how much did you take Fluconazole for? I really hope taking this med this long will do the trick for me!....
I took 100mg tablets every day for 1 month and, my doctor made this refillable on a "as needed" basis as he said this is not an antibiotic that, our systems can become immune to over time. (Antibiotics can make our systems immune to them if taken for too long and, sometimes one antibiotic is resistant to whatever infection so one brand/type of antibiotic does not always seem to be effective. The Fluconazole is not something our bodies become resistant to/immune to as a rule and, this is not addictive so my doctor was okay with making this refullable on a, "as needed" basis for 1 year.
When I have gotten these yeast related issues/problems Fluconazole has really worked.
I am glad to hear/see you are starting to see some results with this!
Have a great day! pegbusymom

Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
(female)

SweetPea143 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegbusymom View Post
I took 100mg tablets every day for 1 month and, my doctor made this refillable on a "as needed" basis as he said this is not an antibiotic that, our systems can become immune to over time. (Antibiotics can make our systems immune to them if taken for too long and, sometimes one antibiotic is resistant to whatever infection so one brand/type of antibiotic does not always seem to be effective. The Fluconazole is not something our bodies become resistant to/immune to as a rule and, this is not addictive so my doctor was okay with making this refullable on a, "as needed" basis for 1 year.
When I have gotten these yeast related issues/problems Fluconazole has really worked.
I am glad to hear/see you are starting to see some results with this!
Have a great day! pegbusymom
Hi pegbusymom,
Thanks so much!...I know you can become resistant to antibiotics but I read you can become resistant to Fluconazole too (and any anti-yeast med at that). In fact, that's suprising that you GYN put you on it daily and even gave you a refill option because I read that this medication is not usually recomended to take on a long term basis--> 1. because the yeast can become resistant to the med and 2. this type of med can negatively affect your liver over a long period of time. But to me, it does make since that a strong oral medication like Fluconazole will help a chronic yeast infection because what if the yeast is in the tissues/ under the skin surface, if this is the case creams will not work, you would have to need something stronger. When I first took Diflucan months ago it did nothing but I only took a single dose. But the second course of Fluconazole I took was 3 pills per day for 3 days and I got quick relief with an increase of discharge but was not cured....It was from this time on that I was convinced that yeast is my problem although my cultures do not prove it. Like I said, I am taking Fluconazole 100mg 1 pill every 3 days for 4 weeks...I have about 4 more pills left and eventhough I feel slight relief I still feel the same symptoms and still occasionally see some strange yellow, thick, sticky "yeast-smelling" discharge. I'm thinking maybe I need to take it more frequently like at least daily like you did? I'm also thinking, maybe I should try a anti-yeast diet as well...Did you try anything else while taking the daily pills? Like a diet? cream? Anything?....Also, how could you tell the Fluconazole was working for you? Did you get an increase of discharge (indicating the yeast was comming out)??.......

Old 03-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
(female)

pegbusymom HB User

Hi SweetPea! Yes I did get an increase of discharge, this did clear up so it was clear. I could tell it was working because, the itching was not so intense for me.
I have not used a Yeast Free diet but, one of my friends has and swears by this. Things or foods that she gave up were: All breads; starchy foods like potatoes; fungi like mushrooms; Cheeses; anything with vinegar in it; sugar and foods that contained sugar.
She has been on this diet for about 2 years. Prior to this she had monthly vaginal yeast infections, and has not had one in about 18 months now. So for my friend the yeast free diet was the answer.
Foods she now eats are things like: Yogurt that is not sweetened with sugar or high fructose corn syrup; Oatmeal; Brown Rice; Dark green vegetables; meat; fresh fruit; oils and most nuts and seeds. My friend told me yogurt that has not been sweetened with sugar or high fructose corn syrup is also good to eat on a regular basis. Not just for the calcium, and probiotic properties this has and offers but because this has been proven to
slightly increase the natural yeast fighting agents.
I myself eat yogurt on a daily basis and have noticed some difference. But I love yogurt so, it is not uncommon for me to eat 3-4, 6-8 oz container's a day!
I also have stage 3 Osteoporosis so I am getting the following benefits from my yogurt: Calcium; Probiotic; and natural yeast fighting agents.
Have you tried yogurt that has no sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it? You may want to over-indulge in yogurt on a daily basis that has no sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it and, see if this helps at all. (Just an idea/suggestion)
The yogurt may take a bit, for you to notice any difference as is with pretty much anything else.
I hope this was helpful. pegbusymom

Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
(female)

SweetPea143 HB User

Quote:
Hi SweetPea! Yes I did get an increase of discharge, this did clear up so it was clear. I could tell it was working because, the itching was not so intense for me.
I have not used a Yeast Free diet but, one of my friends has and swears by this. Things or foods that she gave up were: All breads; starchy foods like potatoes; fungi like mushrooms; Cheeses; anything with vinegar in it; sugar and foods that contained sugar.
She has been on this diet for about 2 years. Prior to this she had monthly vaginal yeast infections, and has not had one in about 18 months now. So for my friend the yeast free diet was the answer.
Foods she now eats are things like: Yogurt that is not sweetened with sugar or high fructose corn syrup; Oatmeal; Brown Rice; Dark green vegetables; meat; fresh fruit; oils and most nuts and seeds. My friend told me yogurt that has not been sweetened with sugar or high fructose corn syrup is also good to eat on a regular basis. Not just for the calcium, and probiotic properties this has and offers but because this has been proven to
slightly increase the natural yeast fighting agents.
I myself eat yogurt on a daily basis and have noticed some difference. But I love yogurt so, it is not uncommon for me to eat 3-4, 6-8 oz container's a day!
I also have stage 3 Osteoporosis so I am getting the following benefits from my yogurt: Calcium; Probiotic; and natural yeast fighting agents.
Have you tried yogurt that has no sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it? You may want to over-indulge in yogurt on a daily basis that has no sugar or high fructose corn syrup in it and, see if this helps at all. (Just an idea/suggestion)
The yogurt may take a bit, for you to notice any difference as is with pretty much anything else.
I hope this was helpful. pegbusymom

Hi Pegbusymom,

Thank you so much for all of this great info! I do think changing my diet will help a lot considering I usually eat a lot of starch and I read from numerous sources that this feeds the yeast right away (only making the infection worst). So recently I started experimenting. The last two days, I avoided bread (all starch) and surgars and amazingly I feel slight relief (but I dont know if this is from the diet or med). I am going to continue to experiment, especially with avoiding bread and sugar. It's really difficult for me to do a really strict anti-yeast diet because I am a college student who lives on campus so all I really eat is campus cafeteria food (so I never make my own food and I never know what ingredients they use). Sometimes I have very limited options of food to choose from, especially if I follow this diet but I am going to try my best. I especially want to watch what I eat while taking the Fluconazole because I'm thinking maybe my theory of "starving" then "killing" the yeast is key. By the way, I do eat yogurt and take probiotics but I usually eat flavored yogurt (strawberry or vanilla). I think plain yogurt is discusting! But I am willing to suck it up and try eating it. By the way, do you happen to know if most salad dressing is made with vinegar? I love ceasar but I'm pretty sure it's made with vinegar....Thank you again and I will let you know how things turn out.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
(female)

SweetPea143 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie8 View Post
Hi all,

I have had an issue with itching for almost 8 months now. I had an abdominal hysterectomy over a year ago and I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention it. I still have my ovaries and therefore no hormone issues that I know of and I am not even in periomenopause yet. I'm 44 years old.

Anyway, about 8 or 9 months ago I started having a horrible itch in the clitoral area and inside of my upper labia. It gets so bad sometimes at night that I can't help but scratch the heck out of it, but I try not to. I have tried cortisone creams and that really hasn't done much good. I went to my gynecologist and she did a vulvar biopsy (on the outside of the labia, not where the itch is, but I understand they don't do biopsies of the sensitive tissue around the clitoris). The results were negative for the biopsy. I went back to her last week and she said I had a discharge in my vagina, so she sent out to have cultures done and those tests came back negative for any infections; no yeast or vaginitis or anything. I have not had sexual intercourse for some time, so I know it isn't that. I use perfume free, dye free detergents to wash my clothes and pure soap that has no additives or irritants.

I don't know what to do at this point. The doc said to discontinue with the yeast medication she had given me since there was no infection. I'm waiting for her office to call back, but if there is nothing there, then what can be causing this maddening itch?

Thanks for reading.

Hi Nannie8,
I was wondering, do you see any discharge? Or it was just that Dr. that said they saw some?...And do you have a smell? I ask because I've read that if your discharge is abnormal (thick, yellowish or white cottage cheese-like etc.) than this could be yeast....also, if the discharge has a "bread" or "beer" smell it is yeast...unlike bacteria that is usually fishy...Also, I believe I am battling yeast but my cultures are always negative too. I've learned that cultures dont always detect everything. In fact, I read somewhere that cultures only pick up a positive result 40% of the time! So perhaps you are dealing with an underlying yeast infection like me?...Maybe yeast is under the skin surface or in the tissue...I think thats the case with me...just a thought....keep me posted on what your Doc says.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
(female)

SweetPea143 HB User

I forgot to add that in addition to the constant itch I have occasionally abnormal discharge that is yellowish, thick, sticky and is itchy....it has a "beer-like" smell and sometimes I'll have like a white film of discharge too that smells the same way. This is another reason why I am convinced that this is yeast I'm dealing with!...I am confident that this had nothing to do with my skin because the itch seems to shift around and my skin looks normal (even my Derm. said so)...

Old 03-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
(female)

pegbusymom HB User

Hi Sweet Pea unfortunately Ceasar dressing is made with vinegar and, some of the other's such as Ranch, French ect have sugar in them...sorry Have a nice weekend...
Pegbusymom

Old 03-28-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
(female)

SweetPea143 HB User

Quote:
Hi Sweet Pea unfortunately Ceasar dressing is made with vinegar and, some of the other's such as Ranch, French ect have sugar in them...sorry Have a nice weekend...
Pegbusymom
Thanks, I thought so. This diet is really hard. I really don't think I can continue with this ...

Closed Thread