It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

Sewuptheholes HB User
Da VInci Complications?

I had a da Vinci robotic hysterectomy and the surgeon did not sew up three holes. He said according to the manual he didn't have to sew them up. My small intestine strangulated in one of the holes. I needed life saving emergency surgery at another hospital about seventy hours later. Recovery has been slow. A nurse said this happens frequently. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN? Please contact me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #2
(female)

Ohiobiss79 HB User
Re: Da VInci Complications?

I have not had this happen, But I am waiting for my surgery using the Da Vinci robot. I have been wondering what to expect with the surgery. Reading this has made me nervous and scared. I am also having a second surgery to remove some endometriosis. So I am having 2 surgeries at the same time. So it is scary. If you can tell me your story I would appreciate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

Sewuptheholes HB User

Request that your surgeon sew up all the robotic holes. Get it in writing. The Da Vinci manufacturer claims this is not necessary but not doing it led to major complications in my case.

Good luck with your surgery.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
(female)

Terry45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewuptheholes View Post
I had a da Vinci robotic hysterectomy and the surgeon did not sew up three holes. He said according to the manual he didn't have to sew them up. My small intestine strangulated in one of the holes. I needed life saving emergency surgery at another hospital about seventy hours later. Recovery has been slow. A nurse said this happens frequently. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN? Please contact me.
I am so sorry to hear this. I had the LSH but not with the robot. I can't believe he did no sew you up. That is crazy! I had my lsh on Feb 4th and it is slow going but no complications as of yet. I had endo taken out of areas also. I can't believe this happens frequently. I had a friend in Alabama I spoke with a month ago and she had hers done with the robot. She said it was awesome and has had no problem. I think your doctor did not know what he was doing. I asked my doc about the robot and he said he could perform the same procedure by his own hands and not enough study has been done to warrant him doing it that way. I was fine to procede with that. Keep in touch. I am still working to adjust to the hormone pills at low dose but the underarm body odor is terrible even right out of the shower.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
(female)

Care1019 HB User

I had a Da Vinci procedure 2 weeks ago. All of my very small incisions were bandaged with a waterproof pressure bandage but were not stitched. One of the bandages did not hold and did cause a bleeding problem. The doctor decided to stitch that one, in my room, as I was being discharged. The others were fine and have not given me any trouble. This procedure was amazing. I had a total hysterectomy and today I feel great. The biggest problem is how to stay off my feet and do nothing. Trust your doctor. I hope everything goes well.

Closed Thread