It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: transvaginal ultrasound & endometrial biopsy

Hello,

Pap smears are excruciating for me as well so I completely understand how you feel. The reason for mine being so painful is that my cervix is retroverted (faces up rather than directly at the physician when they are looking) so it is much more difficult to perform the pap. I have to say that when a gyne does it (raher than my GP), it is much less painful but nevertheless. I have found that if I place my hands under the small of my back so that my pelvis rotates downwards, it makes the pap a lot less painful because the cervix becomes more visible (this is a trick a doctor gave me once and it works!).

I would urge you to have the ultrasound done. If you are nervous about it being invasive then ask for an external ultrasound instead of a transvaginal one. The external ultrasound is completely noninvasive and all they do is to put some vaseline on your tummy and run a wand across it. That's it ! It does not hurt AT ALL.

For the transvaginal one, they do insert the wand into your vagina but there is no saline solution involved as was previously described (this is called a hysteroscopy and it is used for certain procedures where they have to inflate the uterus in order to see better .. the uterus is folded in on itself when at rest .. the transvaginal ultrasound only involves the wand in the vagina .. that's it!). But even if you consider this too invasive then ask for the external ultrasound.

As I mentioned before, by having the ultrasound, you may be preventing a future problem from occurring. I completely understand your attitude and I too have that opinion about physicians .. that they tend to poo poo procedures, saying that they are minor or not painful or non invasive when we consider them to be the exact opposite. HOWEVER, you should not let this prevent you from getting the appropriate health care that you deserve. In my case, I have decided to take charge and I know EXACTLY what is going to be done to me and why. I also have to be in agreement with the procedure and with its necessity. It is a lot of reading and work but well worth my health. Medical procedures are sometimes necessary and I agree that they should be the least invasive possible.

An external ultrasound will still give your physician the information she requires and it is completely non invasive (there is also no radiation like other scans .. it uses sound waves). Don't let your stupid doctor (underplaying the "discomfort" of an endo biopsy is really stupid in my opinion ... look at how it compromised your trust) prevent you from getting the correct health care. If you don't like her, dump her ! You are the boss.

Take care of yourself.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by estria View Post
For the transvaginal one, they do insert the wand into your vagina but there is no saline solution involved as was previously described (this is called a hysteroscopy and it is used for certain procedures where they have to inflate the uterus in order to see better .. the uterus is folded in on itself when at rest .. the transvaginal ultrasound only involves the wand in the vagina .. that's it!).
No, the saline ultrasound is called a sonohysterogram. That's when they fill the uterus with water to expand it to allow for better viewing of it. It still uses sound waves to view the uterus the way a regular ultrasound does, just with water in the uterus.

The hystroscopy is the procedure that is done with a hysteroscope, which is a type of telescope that they use to view the inside of the uterus to remove polyps. It's like looking at something under a magnifying glass or a microscope.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oops, you are right Kszan, my bad.

All this to say that a regular transvaginal ultrasound does not involve filling up the uterus with water so mycatsmom does not need to worry about this as she would not have to go through this other procedure. I have a feeling that when she heard this, it scared her off from going in for the ultrasound when what she was scheduled for was a much simpler test.

Estria

Old 02-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Yeah, I have to agree here. I have my own GYN problems and sometimes feel like they should just "take everything out" and be done with it so I dont have to go back.....but in the end, I go back and do whatever they tell me because too many women in my family have died from undiagnosed Cancers of female parts.

The transvaginal Ultrasound is aboslutely nothing. It takes ten minutes and its over, and its EXACTLY like most of the posters said. A wand like thing, covered in a sheathe (like a condom) which is inserted into you- by the way, they cover you with a sheet and you actually can insert it yourself....then the tech wiggles it around and you can see on the screen exactly what the wand is seeing and they click a mouse and snap a picture. NO PAIN and NO BIG DEAL. iVe also had the saline one- which does cause alittle cramping, I have had 7 biopsies in the past 4 years and every single one of them hurt. Whoever says they dont, is lying.....at least your doctor didnt lie and say it wouldnt, right? Im at the point now where Ive had ablation, a tubal and 3 removals of cysts and now Im seriously considering the whole hysterectomy- nothing they have done so far has alliviated my pain or bleeding....even the ablation, which they SWORE would make a differnce! At this point, everything they have done so far has been inconclusive- therefore I think I can solve the whole dilemma by removing the anatomy in question!

Go back to the doctor, get the ultrasound done. See what it shows and make decisions from there. Chances are it will be normal and your journey will end here....but in case it does show something- do you really want to risk your health and live with something that might have been curable if it was detected earlier?
Do it. Dont overthink it, just do it!
N

Old 02-27-2010, 04:36 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello ladies,

Not all ultrasounds to look at the female parts involve inserting the wand into you. The external ultrasound does NOT insert anything into the vagina. I spend almost two years having external ultrasounds to look at my uterus and ovaries and at no point in time was anything inserted into my vagina. I have also had a transvaginal ultrasound and for this procedure they do insert the wand into the vagina. Two different types of ultrasounds which look at the same thing but from different angles.

If "mycatsmom" is afraid of having an invasive procedure, the external is the best way to go as they only run the wand over your tummy, that's it, that's all !

MSNik, I am sorry to hear about all of the trouble you are going through and the fact that you are STILL having bleeding even after endometrial ablation. I guess this means that the lining grew back ? I have also heard that after the ablation they can no longer perform the biopsy because of all the scar tissue. I am not convinced that this is the panacea that they claim it is. As for the cysts, this is awful too. I lost my left ovary and tube to a very large cyst last year and I know how unnerving these things can be. Hang in there and keep beeing vigilant. It is indeed a pain having to book your doctor into your schedule so many times during the year and I was starting to get "doctorophobia" for a while there. In the end though I am happy that I did not stop going because the anxiety of not knowing would have been much much worse than any test I went through. The test is over at some point while the anxiety is ongoing. I still have a problem (side effect from the surgery) which is slowly going away with treatment but at least I don't have to see my doctor every other month, thank goodness.

Best wishes for great health and peace of mind !

Estria

Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 AM   #21
(female)

mycatsmom HB User

Thank you all very much for your messages. After reading them all carefully, I realized I was just behaving childishly because i was feeling sorry for myself. So I called & rescheduled the ultrasound. In all likelihood there's nothing seriously wrong but it'd be stupid to NOT have the test done.

So thanks again to all of you who wrote.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #22
(female)

grandmallie HB User

I had both of these about 3 weeks ago,. I am 50 yrs old and peri-menopausal.my period has been normal all my life and a month after I turn the big 50 it starts wacking out
I got it the 14th of august and it kept going and going and going, I was away for the weekend and was doubled over in pain and had to take a vicoden I was so bad, well i hadn't bled for a few days so I said phew thats over, well I got a huge suprise when I woke up on sunday morning and stood up, It looked like someone had murdered me
so the tuesday after I went to my GP, I dont have obgyn.well all was well until he wanted to do a endometrial biopsy, OMG I was crying my eyes out,it hurt so bad, then over for a stat ultrasound and a transvaginal unltrasound, I was uncomfortable to say the least and then I had to go home and drink a gallon of water, so the outcome was one big fibroid!!!
the follow up was a week later, slightly anemic so on iron pills and fiber pills.
now I have to wait another week to go to the OBGYN.
now of course,the young doctor I saw at Family Practice says well your options are Hysterectomy, first and formost.
I am waiting to talk with them. I had a horrible day 2 days ago, I have been bleeding nonstop except for a week in between periods, light at first and now heavy,I had to leave work and come home and take a percoset the pain was so intense.
now im flowing heavy again.
so for about a month and a half I have been in a living hell.
I know many of you have gone through years of this and my heart goes out to you.
I cannot afford to stay out of work 2 months, I have no disability or sick time to take. I work in a dental office.
please someone out there give me some hope

Closed Thread