It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

ar1642 HB User
can't stop bleeding

I had regular periods for many years until three months ago. I started bleeding heavily two weeks after my period ended. My doctor put me on the pill to regulate my cycle, but it hasn't worked. By my log, I have had bleeding or spotting for 45 out of the past 90 days. My longest break has been seven days.

I've had two transvaginal ultrasounds and a D and C. My doctor suspected a polyp, but found nothing. The only thing they've found is a small ovarian cyst that my doctors (I've been to two) say is not the cause of the bleeding. My doctor said the D and C would at least stop the bleeding for a few months, but ten days later it has started again.

Now she says it might be a hormonal imbalance and prescribed an antibiotic? I'm losing my mind here. I never thought I would be praying for menopause at 35 but this bleeding has to stop.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: can't stop bleeding

Yes I have....and I wound up doing both antibiotics, and then hormones trying to get the bleeding to stop, Then, I had Novasure an ablation which literally scars the inside of the uterus so you dont bleed...however, 2 weeks later, I started bleeding again. I was told that I had a fibroid, and because of it, that small litttle area caused the ablation (novasure) not to take in that tiny little spot....and so I had the fibroid removed- after 5 biospies- and then had another ablation...and gues what? Im still bleeding.

now, after every single test you can imagine and feeling like a lab rat- Im seriously considering a Hysterectomy. Why not? At least then, i wont bleed anymore; however its a long recovery and I dont have the luxury of missing 4-6 weeeks of work. On top of all this, I have MS, and surgery isnt really recommended for MS patients unless its required (this is considered elective). SO, yes, Ive been where you are.

The one thing which slowed down the bleeding was Progesterone (Provera) however I had terrible side effects- so I didnt stay on it more then 4 months..

Good luck to you,
N

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

AR,

Have any other things been checked ? Such as your thyroid, cervix, pituitary etc..

If these other causes of irregular bleeding have been checked out and are normal, then perhaps doing a few blood tests to check for hormone imbalances may be a good idea (unless they already checked this before putting you on the pill).

Also, if you are bleeding that much, be sure that your iron levels are still normal, especially if you start to feel very fatigued.

If your doctor saw nothing in your uterus when he did the D & C then it time to check other causes for the bleeding.

I hope you get an answer soon.

Estria

Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Oh and I am very confused as to how an antibiotic can fix a hormone imbalance. Antibiotics are used to fight off bacterial infections (pelvic infections, urinary tract infections or whatever).

Estria

Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Estria, obviously you are right. I was prescribed some antibiotics because my doctor was fairly sure that an infection was causing me to bleed to begin with. I was having a period for 28 days and not stopping. In some cases, some cervical infections, which are not STD related, can actually cause the uterus to continuously shed lining, and thus- bleed.

Fact or Fiction, it was tried and explained to me that way....it did nothing (which I didnt really expect it to), but at the point I was at, I was willing to try anything! remember, I had already had the NovaSure, and there was no way the doctor could be positive that the surgery hadnt caused me an infection either. I then went on Estrogen, and after that didnt work, Provera (progesterone). I found the progesterone to work better then anything, it actually slowed things down a bit, and Im told they usually prescribe doses of Progesterone to treat Fibroids.....but since we have ruled out fibroids and since my body wasnt reacting well to being on Provera after a few weeks (headaches, body aches and increased MS symtoms) Im now hormone and antibiotic free. And tired of bleeding!

I honestly dont know if antibiotics are capable of doing much...but that was the reasoning behind it.
Nikki

Closed Thread