It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

OldNewbie HB User
10 days of spotting, followed by AF

I am about to turn 43 and over the last 2 years have had increasingly erratic cycles. I went off a low-dose BC about 2 years ago as I felt my system was hormonally confused. After about 6 months my system evened out some. However, in the last year the erratic cycles have only become worse.

This cycle has done me in. Started on day 17 with cramps on my left side and the start of spotting Ė now after 10 days of spotting I seem to be starting a full on period complete with wicked cramps. More typically, I have had on and off spotting for days 21-28 then my period over the last 6 months.

My GYN has suggested I try Mirena as a means to cut down the spotting and am trying to get it approved through my insurance for non-BC use so I donít have to pay the $500 out of pocket cost. However, I am really looking for women who may have experienced similar symptoms; what treatments you tried or discussed with your Dr. My doctor has also mentioned ablation but I wanted to try the non-surgical approach first. I have a hard time believing that there is nothing that can be done to help with this condition. It just doesnít seem right that my body is spotting/bleeding about 14 days out of 28 each month. I am really tired of dealing with this and itís starting to affect my relationship too.

Bz

Last edited by OldNewbie; 04-26-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
(female)

HB1971 HB User
Re: 10 days of spotting, followed by AF

i had mirena inserted 8 days ago... i have very minor brown spotting, only when i go to the bathroom and wipe i see a little bit brown on the toilet paper... sorry for the description..... other than that my biggest issue is cramping... i feel cramps like period cramps, maybe a little more than that, they come and go or sometimes they last for hours or half of the day.... i keep taking pain killers.... i don't have really sharp pain though... say for example 5 or 6 sometimes on a 10 scale...

i also never was able to feel the strings

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
(female)

SammiH HB User
Re: 10 days of spotting, followed by AF

Hi, we are similar age and I too started having strange patterns with bleeding over a year ago. My doctor tried me on various BC pills to try to regulate my periods and lighten the flow, however they had worse effect (had period continuously for 6 months on one lot!). We also tried taking the pill continuously to stop the periods, but this had the opposite effect - I had ongoing breakthrough bleeding!
The periods were extremely heavy and interfered with normal daily living, so doctor suggested Mirena. Personally, I could not see the point as I am done with having kids and I didn't fancy having a foreign object inside of me. I decided to have an endometrial ablation instead. Doctor did not come up with any other non-surgical solutions.
I had this done end of March and have just had my first period which only lasted 3 days, was very light and I was down to panty liners by the last day. The results have differed for many women though- suggest you read threads on it to see. For me, I think it has been a good result. For women where ablation was not successful, the next step could be partial hysterectomy.
I think it all depends on how you view the mirena - there are various experiences of these too, so I would suggest you read up on other people's experiences before you decide what to do. If you still want kids, then ablation etc is not for you, so mirena may be good.
Best wishes with whatever you decide - you are right that you should not have to put up with this.

Closed Thread