It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

jrose1358 HB User
Question Hysteroscopy and D&C Scheduled - Getting cold feet!

OK. Certified wimp here! Long story short - I went in for an endometrial biopsy because of a thickened uterine lining. 52 and not in menopause yet - no other symptoms apart from some occasional spotting which is mostly just annoying. The biopsy was not successful - insufficient sample. Went to Gyno for a repeat and they suggested Hysteroscopy with D&C which I thought was a good idea at the time and scheduled it for May 25th. The gyno felt that the hysteroscopy would give him a good view inside and the D&C might solve my spotting issues plus he feels this is the gold standard in terms of diagnosis of pre-cancers. Now I am researching those procedures and the risks involved and am wondering if this is too aggressive. If the biopsy had been successful, I probably would have gotten a negative result and would be happily on my way by now.
What do you guys think? I am mostly afraid of the D&C. Afraid that he will puncture my uterus or scrape too much and I will have even worse spotting/bleeding/cramping issues. I don't want to end up with problems that I didn't have before. I am considering asking him to just do the hysteroscopy with biopsy and skip the whole D&C thing. Any positive D&C experiences out there? Advice? Words of Wisdom? Whaaaah!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Hysteroscopy and D&C Scheduled - Getting cold feet!

I've had d&c and hysteroscopy done 4 times. It's no big deal at all. They make it a big production at the hospital because you have to be sedated and stuff but it's honestly no big deal. You probably shouldn't take much stock in the stuff you read online about surgeries because honestly the people who complain are the ones who will have had bad experiences while those who have been alright are less likely to post.

I've had the procedure done that many times because I have a problem with recurring uterine polyps. My gyno and I have been through this so many times, we actually joke about it in the pre-op room now. For me, the hardest part of the whole thing is getting the IV. Other than that, once they get the IV in, I'm fine. The recovery takes very little time, there's no more pain or bleeding than you'd get with a heavy period. It's honestly not a big deal at all. I wouldn't get all worked up over it.

If you have any specific questions about the procedure, just ask. I know all there is to know about it. But this week I'm on vacation in Hawaii so if I don't respond right away, it's because I'm somewhere on a beach at the moment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Thank you for your reply Kszan. That makes me feel better. Wow. 4 times! I guess maybe I can do it once although I feel like running away to the beach with you. Enjoy Hawaii and thank you for taking the time to post.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
(female)

yef HB User

OK, I was in the same boat you are now in. I was a wreck. I am a 48 years old post-menopausal woman that experienced vaginal bleeding. I also had an inconclusive biopsy and then scheduled for a hysteroscopy and D+C. I got myself so worked up that I needed a tranquilizer (or at least, my husband and daughter needed me to take tranquilizers as I was so much on edge! ) Long story short, the anticipation was the WORST part, both waiting for the procedures and then waiting for the results. The procedure itself was the easiest part!! Thankfully, my result was negative and the bleeding has stopped (at least for now, but hopefully for long term as well). Try, try, try to relax as it is the gold standard, at least from what I read, to have both the hysteroscopy and D+C. Please let me know how you do.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yef View Post
OK, I was in the same boat you are now in. I was a wreck. I am a 48 years old post-menopausal woman that experienced vaginal bleeding. I also had an inconclusive biopsy and then scheduled for a hysteroscopy and D+C. I got myself so worked up that I needed a tranquilizer (or at least, my husband and daughter needed me to take tranquilizers as I was so much on edge! ) Long story short, the anticipation was the WORST part, both waiting for the procedures and then waiting for the results. The procedure itself was the easiest part!! Thankfully, my result was negative and the bleeding has stopped (at least for now, but hopefully for long term as well). Try, try, try to relax as it is the gold standard, at least from what I read, to have both the hysteroscopy and D+C. Please let me know how you do.
Thank you Yef! You have been a godsend to me on this site. I don't know why I get so worked up. I guess I have a vivid imagination and internet horror stories don't help. It really helps to hear stories of people who have been in the same situation and have come out OK. How are you doing now? Are you all back to normal? No after-effects of the D&C? Thank you and I will keep you posted. Blessings - jrose

Old 05-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

The d&c part didn't have any ill effects from what I am aware of. I had my first one when I was in my early 30s and onward, so my gyne told me specifically that she did the lightest scraping possible to ensure that the uterine lining stays as fluffy and viable as possible. I'm nowhere near menopause yet (at least I hope not, I'm only 36 now). We talked about it at length because I told her how worried I was about ruining my uterine lining in case I ever want to have any kids. She has always kept that in mind for me which is why she always did the lightest scraping possible.

I remember reading about the possibility of perforation of the uterine wall, but when I asked my doc about that, she said that it is very very rare that it happens. You're more likely to have a reaction from the anesthesia than you are of having any complications of the procedure.

Really, the d&c only becomes a problem when you have a heavy-handed doctor who scrapes too hard. Make sure you tell your doc ahead of time of your concerns because I'm sure they will be addressed during the procedure.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
The d&c part didn't have any ill effects from what I am aware of. I had my first one when I was in my early 30s and onward, so my gyne told me specifically that she did the lightest scraping possible to ensure that the uterine lining stays as fluffy and viable as possible. I'm nowhere near menopause yet (at least I hope not, I'm only 36 now). We talked about it at length because I told her how worried I was about ruining my uterine lining in case I ever want to have any kids. She has always kept that in mind for me which is why she always did the lightest scraping possible.

I remember reading about the possibility of perforation of the uterine wall, but when I asked my doc about that, she said that it is very very rare that it happens. You're more likely to have a reaction from the anesthesia than you are of having any complications of the procedure.

Really, the d&c only becomes a problem when you have a heavy-handed doctor who scrapes too hard. Make sure you tell your doc ahead of time of your concerns because I'm sure they will be addressed during the procedure.
Thank you Kszan. I do have a very good doctor. He is wonderful but he is a man with huge hands . I think that is a great idea to remind him to be gentle although he has been around the block hundreds of times and this is actually his specialty. I don't think I would be as worried about a woman doctor being gentle. I guess this is my biggest fear. I'm worried less about the results than I am about this. I think I will start a list with all my concerns so that I will feel I will be well cared for during the procedure. Thanks!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
(female)

cmmr HB User

I had a D&C about two months ago. It went very smoothly. Of course, be sure you know your doctor and you get it done at a very reputable place. Ask about medication "before" you go and tell them about your anxiety. I was very nervous and they gave me something for it before surgery. I was very comfortable afterwards and "healed" within several days. Get this done if your doctor says you need it. I am getting a total hysterectomy now (three months later) due to heavy bleeding and migraines. I believe in my doctor and know she will take good care of me (that is the most important aspect to this). Understand your surgery and your medication. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmr View Post
I had a D&C about two months ago. It went very smoothly. Of course, be sure you know your doctor and you get it done at a very reputable place. Ask about medication "before" you go and tell them about your anxiety. I was very nervous and they gave me something for it before surgery. I was very comfortable afterwards and "healed" within several days. Get this done if your doctor says you need it. I am getting a total hysterectomy now (three months later) due to heavy bleeding and migraines. I believe in my doctor and know she will take good care of me (that is the most important aspect to this). Understand your surgery and your medication. Best of luck to you!
Thank you for your thoughtful reply cmmr. I haven't had a Gyno since we moved here so I am new to this doctor and found him on recommendation from several close friends after an absolutely horrible experience with a previous one that I tried. I liked him immediately, he has been around a long time, and he was very kind, concerned and thorough. I feel very comfortable with him even though I don't really 'know' him. He is kind of a big bear of a man though. All my previous Gyno's in other cities have been female so this is new. Somehow I feel a need to tell him to be gentle. Ha Ha. I will also be at the women's hospital so they specialize in only female surgeries so I feel good about that too. I'm thinking all will be well if I just make my concerns and anxieties known ahead of time. I really appreciate all your support. Good luck with your upcoming hysterectomy. Please let me know how it went. Hugs and blessings - jrose

Last edited by jrose1358; 05-12-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
(female)

yef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose1358 View Post
Thank you Yef! You have been a godsend to me on this site. I don't know why I get so worked up. I guess I have a vivid imagination and internet horror stories don't help. It really helps to hear stories of people who have been in the same situation and have come out OK. How are you doing now? Are you all back to normal? No after-effects of the D&C? Thank you and I will keep you posted. Blessings - jrose
I am doing fine now
Just went for my 6 week post-op appt and all seems to be okay, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a long-term resolution.
I personally did not have any negative side effects from the procedure. I did bleed, then spot on and off for 10 days after the procedures. I was told this was normal and could continue for a few weeks thereafter.
One thing I would suggest IF you have a tendency, like me, to get nauseated from the anesthesia. I asked the anesthesiologist to be PROACTIVE and pre-treat me with anti-nausea medications. I didn't want to get nauseous and then try to have the meds "catch-up". It worked like a charm, first time I wasn't nauseous!
Good luck to you and keep us updated!

PS - the anti-anxiety medication (Xanax) I was given worked great. First time I ever used this type of medication and I am glad I took it as it really eased my anxiety.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:46 AM   #11
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
I am doing fine now
Just went for my 6 week post-op appt and all seems to be okay, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a long-term resolution.
I personally did not have any negative side effects from the procedure. I did bleed, then spot on and off for 10 days after the procedures. I was told this was normal and could continue for a few weeks thereafter.
One thing I would suggest IF you have a tendency, like me, to get nauseated from the anesthesia. I asked the anesthesiologist to be PROACTIVE and pre-treat me with anti-nausea medications. I didn't want to get nauseous and then try to have the meds "catch-up". It worked like a charm, first time I wasn't nauseous!
Good luck to you and keep us updated!

PS - the anti-anxiety medication (Xanax) I was given worked great. First time I ever used this type of medication and I am glad I took it as it really eased my anxiety.
Thanks yef. I do get nauseated from anesthesia, even the twilight kind so I will ask them for anti-nausea meds beforehand. I decided I am going to go in and talk to my doc today about all my anxieties and I think I will feel better. How far ahead of the procedure did you start taking the Xanax?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
(female)

yef HB User

Quote:
Thanks yef. I do get nauseated from anesthesia, even the twilight kind so I will ask them for anti-nausea meds beforehand. I decided I am going to go in and talk to my doc today about all my anxieties and I think I will feel better. How far ahead of the procedure did you start taking the Xanax?
I took a xanax a few days before the procedure (again, I was letting my thoughts spin out of control ... lots of "what ifs"

Then I took another one the night before the procedure.

My best to you. Please keep us posted.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Quote:
I took a xanax a few days before the procedure (again, I was letting my thoughts spin out of control ... lots of "what ifs"

Then I took another one the night before the procedure.

My best to you. Please keep us posted.
Thank you yef. I think I am "spinning" a bit here. Forgot that the doc isn't there on Fridays so I will go in on Monday and chat. I'll ask him about Xanax too and will definitely keep you posted. Thanks for all your support

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

OK - I just talked with my surgeon's nurse and she was very reassuring. She assured me that I would be in the best of hands and that he would be the only one she would want doing surgery on her. She walked me through the procedures again. The D&C will be done with suction, not with sharp cutting tools. I don't know if that is better or not but somehow that makes me feel better. She told me she has been his nurse for over 20 years and can't remember anyone ever having major complications. Although she did remind me that it was surgery and there were risks. I know that. I'm just glad I called because it does make me feel tons better. And thank you guys too for all your information and encouraging words- my procedures are next Tuesday, May 25th and I can walk in there much more confidently! Blessings and I will post after it is all over!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
(female)

yef HB User

Quote:
OK. Certified wimp here! Long story short - I went in for an endometrial biopsy because of a thickened uterine lining. 52 and not in menopause yet - no other symptoms apart from some occasional spotting which is mostly just annoying. The biopsy was not successful - insufficient sample. Went to Gyno for a repeat and they suggested Hysteroscopy with D&C which I thought was a good idea at the time and scheduled it for May 25th.
Hi JRose:

Just checking in with you to see how your procedures went today. You have been in my thoughts and prayers that all goes smoothly. Whenever you are up to it, drop us a line and let us know how you are doing!

Closed Thread