It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
(female)

tasplin HB User
Novasure endometrial ablation- failed; options

I have gone through two Novasure ablation procedures since March 2010 - both failed DURING the procedure. The first time the alarms went off on the machine causing the doc to stop the procedure. The machine was returned to the manufacturer and a malfunction was found. Essentially, the doc couldn't get the "fan" array to expand in my uterus. The second time around, the array supposedly expanded but not past some minimum required to move forward. Now I'm 0 for 2 with Novasure and the doc says perhaps my uterus is too short or abnormally shaped. Now my options are hydro thermablation (hot water), resectoscopic ablation, or hysterectomy. Not to big on going all out with a hysterectomy. Has anyone run into an aborted Novasure procedure? I like my doctor, but wondering if my anatomy is just so unique; should she have known of this potential abnormality; should I get a second opinion? Okay with the idea of the hot water ablation but REALLY stressed about a third no go.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
(female)

girl808 HB User
Re: Novasure endometrial ablation- failed; options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasplin View Post
I have gone through two Novasure ablation procedures since March 2010 - both failed DURING the procedure. The first time the alarms went off on the machine causing the doc to stop the procedure. The machine was returned to the manufacturer and a malfunction was found. Essentially, the doc couldn't get the "fan" array to expand in my uterus. The second time around, the array supposedly expanded but not past some minimum required to move forward. Now I'm 0 for 2 with Novasure and the doc says perhaps my uterus is too short or abnormally shaped. Now my options are hydro thermablation (hot water), resectoscopic ablation, or hysterectomy. Not to big on going all out with a hysterectomy. Has anyone run into an aborted Novasure procedure? I like my doctor, but wondering if my anatomy is just so unique; should she have known of this potential abnormality; should I get a second opinion? Okay with the idea of the hot water ablation but REALLY stressed about a third no go.

What kind of tests did your doctor do before the Novasure? It says on it's website that it only works on a uterus that is between 4 and 10 cm long. You should have had an ultrasound done before she even did the procedure to make sure your uterus was the right size. Novasure is the one ablation technique that has limitations on the uterine size.

I had one done 3 weeks ago this coming Tuesday-I had a 7 week period after going off the pill with HUGE clots. My doctor did a GREAT job-I haven't had any cramping or bleeding that others talk about. Just a minimal discharge. He did an endometrial biopsy and I had the abdo and transvaginal ultrasound.

Last edited by girl808; 05-23-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

befuddled2010 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasplin View Post
I also had the Novasure procedure this past March. Here it is the end of June and I've had 6 horrible periods! There has been no less bleeding or frequency than before and the cramps and fatigue are far worse. I wouldn't rec. the procedure. It's advertised as a quick 90 second in office procedure and my reality was at the surgery center. Oh, and they let me know when I got there that the doc was part owner of the surgery center. Fabulous waste of time and money that I didn't have to begin with. When I called them on my first period I was told it was probably just my last hoorah! Well....I'm still waiting for it to end. Good luck if you procede further. It must work for some people or they couldn't continue doing it.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
(female)

Twins Mommy HB User

I had my NovaSure procedure done 1 week ago today. My male gyn found out during the pre-surgery in office bioposy that my uterus was tipped back it he couldn't navigate my cervix into my uterus. So he said no problem instead of an office procedure the ablation would be done under light sediation. Thank god! I was concerned at first at having never been put under but I can't imagine having this done any other way! I cramped for about 4 days & have had an ongoing very light pink discharge after the cramping stopped. Today all I have is the discharge. I went back to work the next day with no issues.

There are options if god didn't design your insides just right.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

joyelyn17 HB User

I just went yesterday for my Novasure ablation. Unfortunately, the tool did not fan out for me either, but my doctor had a back up plan and used the "Rollerball" ablation method. I had a general anethestic and when I came out of it (45 mins total) they came me one Percocet for pain. Last night was a breeze with minimal bleeding and NO cramping. Today I am coming out of the 'fog' of the anethesia and have only had to take an Excedrine for a headache. Absolutely NO CRAMPING. Maybe the Rollerball was a blessing in disguise. Ask your doc about this method. It is older, not as fancy and doesn't have a slick marketing campaign, but it works.
My doc also said the method with the "hot water" causes scalding and he will not do it.
Good Luck to you.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
(female)

Donbon HB User

I had the Novasure over 18 months ago after all other options (coil, medication) failed as I have DVT history. I am now bleeding every month...sometimes twice a month. began as brown spotting now is red blood peppered with tiny clots and pain, What next for me anyne????

Old 10-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I heard in school that burns can develop cancer years later where the burn was. I don't like the idea. I know someone whose periods seem to have less pain and bleeding anyway perhaps from various health measures she took.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
(female)

basbury HB User

Hi what can I say, this procedure did not work for me. Leaving me in such pain, feeling sick and on pain killers. I have been told by my doctor that I will need a hysterectomy!!! wish they did that in the first place.

The following user gives a hug of support to basbury:
sjb (12-28-2010)
Closed Thread