It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

lmp1031 HB User
Unhappy Atypical Cells (AGC) after hysterectomy - any ideas

Well, long story short... 42 years old - I had a lavh just about 1 year ago due to abnormal paps and a fairly large uterine fibroid, pain, bleeding, etc. I have had several abnormal paps and the colpo and leep in the past all due the hpv virus which hasn't effected me physically for almost 15 years. They removed my cervix and uterus, tubes, vaginally. I felt relieved that I did not have to worry about Uterine or cervical cancers - the parts aren't there!

Just recently, I went for my first full gyn visit after the hyst. and the doc found a growth on my vaginal wall which felt extremely crampy when she pressed on it. Sex is also crampy! I am not bleeding nor do I have symptoms of any other problem. Anyway, she put the silveroxide solution on it and said if it didn't go away - we would remove it (yikes). Turns out that my pap smear also came back abnormal with a positive AGC and hpv was low. I now have light cramps almost all of the time thinking about this and reading threads about positive paps with AGC. The next step is to perform an excision of granulation tissue - the doc is going to remove it and have it biopsied. I think this will hurt!

Can anyone help me deal with this emotionally? Could I still get cervical cancer without a cervix? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I am scratching my head wondering - why the abnormal pap? and whether I got the hysterectomy for nothing - I am still getting abnormal paps and now have to have a removal of a growth which may not even be the reason for the abnormalcy! Has anyone experienced this with a hysterectomy? I am confused and concerned.

Last edited by lmp1031; 05-26-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Atypical Cells (AGC) after hysterectomy - any ideas

Hmmm, very interesting! Have you asked for copies of your pathology reports? If not, I strongly suggest you do. Who did your hyst? a gyn or a gyn/onc? Did you ever see a gyn/onc?

Has your doctor ever run an HPV/dna test?

HPV can cause cellular damage, not just on the cervix, but also on the vulva and in the vagina. Some strains of HPV attack glandular cells, others attack squamous cells.

I understood that the glandular cells (in the vagina, etc) were in the cervix. If the cervix is removed, then where are those glandular cells coming from? Then again, glandular cells produce mucous. What produces the natural vaginal secretions in the vaginal wall?

Now I'm confused!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

lmp1031 HB User
Re: Atypical Cells (AGC) after hysterectomy - any ideas

Thank you for posting to my request...

Well, unlike many people on this site, my news turned out to be good. It was excess scar tissue from my hysterectomy (about 11 months ago) that apparently is very common to show up as Atypical. She removed it and I need a repeat pap in 6 months. I was so scared while having to wait for an appointment and then on top of it all, waiting for the test results. I will post after I get my 6 month check up.

My heart breaks for those who do not get good news! Hang in there...

Closed Thread