It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

honeyhush4 HB User
Total hysterectomy one week ago

I had an abdominal hysterectomy one week ago. I am 51 and now am on an estrogen patch. I am feeling very depressed. I have children, so its not that I am sad about that. How long till I get back to normal?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Total hysterectomy one week ago

Were you menopausal already? I am sure there are some hormone changes. I have had lots of different surgeries and I am down afterwards too just from the anethesia and the drain on the body. Give it a little time. However, I am having a hysterectomy next month and even though my kids are grown and I certainly am not having more children, I was kind of sad too knowing body parts are coming out. Maybe it made me feel old? I had to refocus and think about the possibility I will feel better not having pain anymore.
Pretty soon you will bounce back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
(female)

honeyhush4 HB User

Hey, I hope you are right. I am still feeling depressed. I am hoping it will pass. I am usually really in control and on top of things. I know my family is not sure what to make of the change in me. I feel sad, not myself at all.

K

Old 06-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
(female)

honeyhush4 HB User

Hey, I hope you are right. I am still feeling depressed. I am hoping it will pass. I am usually really in control and on top of things. I know my family is not sure what to make of the change in me. I feel sad, not myself at all. I was not menopausal. No problems. I do have a vivelle patch on.

K

Old 06-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I hope you are resting, maybe curling up with a good book, a stupid reality show, a puzzle? (my plans after my surgery) You are recovering from surgery and it does take a toll on the body. Mention your symptoms to your dr. Taking out ovaries will affect hormones, (moods too) so perhaps the dr might prescribe something.
Really, it will get better.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
(female)

39inJC HB User

I think any major surgery can cause depression anyway. Any time there is anesthesia involved, plus meds like Percocet or Lortab can make you really, really down. I cried for 2 solid months after my hysterectomy last year...and yes, it really does get better.

Please talk to your doctor about something for your depression. It took some adjusting, but now I'm on 2 different kinds of medications, and they've done wonders for me.

Please take care, and take it easy. And talk to your doctor on your next visit!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

Give yourself some time. It's major surgery you've been through.
I had my abdominal hysterectomy in 2006 so I know the experience.
You'll see, in time you'll be feeling better. Just take this little amount of time
to REALLY pamper yourself. Read, rest, watch good movies, journal, listen to music...
take care of yourself.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

You've just had major surgery. What you are feeling is pretty normal, even without the hormones. I assume your doctor took your ovaries, right? It is also possible that the hormones are causing your emotions. When do you go back for your first check up? How did your doctor do the surgery?

Take it easy! You only get one chance to heal!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
(female)

dunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB Userdunerkat58 HB User

I had a total hysterectomy in 2002. I suffered from severe endometriosis, so I immediately felt better physically after the surgery. I have had other major surgeries and also felt some depression/sadness afterwards.

The advice given previously is great. I have had several major surgeries and had these types of feelings afterwards also. I think that all the pain we endure leading up to surgery takes its toll, so it takes awhile to recover. Take care!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
(female)

Jen Q HB User
Wink Re: Total hysterectomy one week ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyhush4 View Post
I had an abdominal hysterectomy one week ago. I am 51 and now am on an estrogen patch. I am feeling very depressed. I have children, so its not that I am sad about that. How long till I get back to normal?
Hi, I had a total on 6/24, and I hope you are feeling pretty good by now. I am so glad I did the surgery and that my doctor put me on the patch. I feel great compared to before... other than a little insomnia now and again.

I came back to work last week and it was hard, I get tired easier. But its only been 3 months after a major surgery. Depression is normal after any surgery, especially after this type. Hopefully it was related to your hormones or lack of, and the patch helped. Hope you are better now.

Last edited by Jen Q; 09-01-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added more to post

Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
(female)

newfgirl HB User

I had a hysterectomy on Aug. 26 and was feeling pretty down for a about week after as well. I am taking estradiol 1mg pills and find that it is helping. I`m 38, have two kids also and wasn`t planning on having anymore. I think with a major surgery like that and the initial recovery it`s normal to feel sad and depressed for awhile. I`m still off work and still recovering and I feel very confused about the hormone replacement as I`ve heard and read a alot about it both good and bad. It`s hard to know what to do. Talk to your family and doctor if you continue to feel down and continue to seek support from other women who know what you`re going through. Good luck with it.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
(female)

Jersey Goseng HB User

oh, just give it time, try to do some deep breathing and visualizations of pleasant sceneries, romantic moments and the like, they really help while the hours away...

actually, i'm thankful i found your post. i'm due for one myself in a couple of weeks, so really anxious too. i'd be very greatful if you can share what you went through. i'm 3 years younger. Doc says I'm high risk because of my anemia.

i'm very much interested to hear about experiences with hysterectomy. I'm particularly worried about prolapse, which they say happens within 10-20 years after the procedure.

Closed Thread