It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

CQRCCL HB User
Hysterectomy coming up soon...Should I keep my Ovaries?

Hi everyone

I have had fibroids for a few years now. Went for an ultrasound today and found that I have Many fibroids. My tummy has became so large I have to wear loose clothes. A couple of friends asked me if I was expecting again? I'm at my ideal weight and workout 6 days a week. Also I have constant cramping. As of now my periods are normal but I'm sure that will change very soon as my sister and mother had the same issues with fibriods and both had a hysterctomy.

I'm 45 with a great family and done with childbirth.

Any women out there removed their ovaries at my age or younger?
Advantages?? Disadvantages??
I understand I would have to take a hormone pill for a couple of years.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Hysterectomy coming up soon...Should I keep my Ovaries?

I was 46 when I had my total (LAVH) hyst. I kept my ovaries. I figured I might as well benefit from my own hormones for as long as I could. Besides, I know how i react to my hormones; synthetic or bioidentical hormones would be an adjustment I wasn't ready for.

I'm now 2 years post hyst and my ovaries still work (as far as I can tell). I still cycle, though I don't always have symptoms. My breast still swell or I become moody, but that isn't every month.

Good luck with your hyst! How will your doctor be performing the hyst?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

I was 46 when I had my (abdominal) hysterectomy due to fibroids.
My gynecologist removed one ovary (that had a cyst on it) and left the other.
I'm glad that he did that. I did not need any replacement hormone, and had no further
problems at all. Best wishes!!

Sue

Old 06-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
(female)

39inJC HB User

I'm 39 and had my LAVH a year ago in April, but they didn't take my ovaries at the time. I wanted them to just get it all over with at once, but the doctor told me insurance refuses to pay unless there is something actually wrong with the ovaries.

I wish I didn't have them, no matter how my hormones react. I've done multiple rounds of Lupron Depot, and I've already experienced the "joys" of menopause through that, so losing my ovaries didn't seem like a huge deal.

If you want to keep them, just talk to your doctor. I doubt he/she will not take them if they're not medically ready to come out.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
(female)

CQRCCL HB User

Thank you all for your replys.

My grandmother died of Ovarian Cancer when she was in her late 70's and her daughter (my aunt) died of Uterine Cancer in her late 50's.

I would not mind removing my Ovaries as that would be one less cancer to think about in the future. Ovarian Cancer is such a silent killer most women when they start to have symptoms the cancer is already advanced.

My sister at 45 kept her ovaries and now is sorry she did. Another Aunt removed her ovaries in her mid 40's and refused to take any hormone pills at the time. She is now in her mid 60's and is fine.

My gyno said if I was closer to 50 it would be a no brainer and remove them.
She believes removing the ovaries now and taking hormone pills for just a couple of years might be the way to go in my case.

No surgery date set yet but will be sometime within the next 8 weeks. My dad who is currently battling Advanced Prostate and Brain Cancer along with blood clots needs radiation and I need to drive him to his appointments. I must schedule my surgery around his radiation schedule. Please keep my dad in your prayers everyone....

Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Since you have some family history of cancers (including ovarian) has your doctor done the blood test (BRACA? I think). I know it isn't horribly accurate by itself, but combine with an ultrasound can help you and your doctor make more informed decisions about your ovaries.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
(female)

Bella7000 HB User

Hi, I had a total hysterectomy seven years ago, and were taking premarin .45mg daily. I stop using them because of the secondary symptoms. I was experimenting depression. It was very bad. I have 45 years and have 4 children. They deserve a mother who has her emotions well. So, if you have the opportunity to keep your ovaries so you can hold the time to use premarin that will be great.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Hi I am 12 days post op. I have my appendix removed and a total hysterectomy done. I am 57. I have had side pain for a few years no diagnosis. In March I developed a cyst on my rt ovary. Dr immediately ordered a ca125, negative but he said he didn't trust the test that much. He suggested removing everything to eliminate any future surgeries and to rule out the female organs were the source of my pain. He said he would leave the ovaries if that is what I wanted. My first bargaining was to also have the appendix removed. I had some time to think about it and was thinking of getting it all done, since I am 8 years post menopausal. Then I saw a story on the news of a woman who had a cyst and her ca125 was negative and she opted to have the ovaries remain. Her biopsy came back positive for cancer so she had to go back in to surgery for a total hysterectomy. That made my decision a lot easier. I honestly can't imagine my sweats getting any worse anyway.
I was offered a hormone patch but I turned it down. My mom and great aunt had breast cancer and I am not active enough to not worry about blood clots. So far, I feel fine. I didn't have mood swings anyway, just the sweats. The dr did tell me the ovaries have some production until around age 65. Oh well.
Oh and the cyst was gone. I did have some fibroids. (I thought they had shrunk after menopause and they didn't show on the ct and ultrasounds) Dr said that could have been the cause of my pain.
So, just another experience to add to your decision making. Good luck. You should be ok to tend to your dad, I wish him well. Just don't lift anything. Also, did your dr recommend taking iron prior? Mine did and even though I didn't lose much blood during surgery, my blood tests indicate I am anemic so the fatigue I feel makes sense.

Closed Thread