It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
(female)

ruthsnowd HB User
Question Hysterectomy as an option don't know what to do?!

Hi I am new to this site so forgive me if I don't know the correct way to post etc.

I have a dilemma and I need some general advice as I just don't know whats for the best!

I am nearly 27 years old and I have two wonderful children my daughter is five and my son is 15 months old. I have always since I was a teenager even before I had children suffered with heavy periods.

My daughter was a reasonable 7lb 12oz and her delivery and after birth was all fine and "normal" my periods returned to the usual once a month and were heavier but nothing too major.

However, I had my son in April 2009 he was 7 days late and I had a normal vaginal delivery he was 9lb 11oz!! He came out ok without any intervention etc.

I seemed to heal quicker than my first and felt better within weeks of having him my post birth was ok usual clots etc but it cleared up and normal flow returned. I went back on th Pill a combined pill called Mercilon, then my troubled began.......

I started bleeding twice a month, sometimes just spotting or light bleeds then gradually heavier and heavier. At first I was advised it was my body getting used to the Pill after being off it so long due to pregnancy and it would take 3 months or so to settle down.

Well it didn't I started having small clots and threads come away when I was bleeding and it was quite smelly (sorry to be so graphic!) and I had to wear several night time pads in the day.

Eventually after taking tablets and several trips to my GP i had an inspection via swobs and camera but evrything was fine! My placenta had come clean away and nothing was left over from the birth my womb and uterus and ovaries were all normal.

My bleeding seemed to settle for about two months, then I noticed in between bleeds spotting again and feeling constantly tired and my hair was falling out when I brushed and washed it far more than usual.

I had blood tests for anaemia and thyroid all normal. However, one particular hormone was very low and according to my GP if I was 2o years older I could possibly be menopausal.

I have now been bleeding for 16 days solid very heavily, GP reckons it will just go by itself. He suggested due to my extreme bleeding and problems since my son I could have a Merina Coil fitted or a HYETERECTOMY!!

My hubby doesn;t want any more kids and I know deep down we probably won't have any more thats even if I could carry another after all my trauma. Even though I hate the constant bleeding etc I just think a massive operation etc is all a bit final and I 'd feel like my role as a woman was cut off!

Do you think I'm insane? Any suggestions or help or knowledge would be gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Hysterectomy as an option don't know what to do?!

Why are you seeing a GP? I'd go see a gyno and get a full work up first.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
(female)

ruthsnowd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Why are you seeing a GP? I'd go see a gyno and get a full work up first.
Thanks for that could you be a bit more specific what do you mean by a full work up? Thanks

Old 07-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Various tests that gynos do - vaginal ultrasound, pap smear, etc. Why would you agree to a hysterectomy suggested by an GP when a gyno is more well versed in gyno issues?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #5
(female)

urstruely HB User

Well i my self am 29 and due to go in for a Full Hysterectomy on july the 28th i am scared to death about having this done at such a young age. But i already have 2 wonderful boys that are 9&4.. While been prego with the now 4 yr old i was in a bad car wreck and while they was doing a ultra sound they found a large mass on the right ovari.. Well i didnt find this out till my last doc apt right before they said they was taking the baby 8 weeks early. Come to find out i had ovarian cancer and didnt know it till 9 months after having my son. I kept hurting and bleeding like crazy and told my OB/GYN that i wanted every test poss done.. So I had to have every thing on the right side took out 3 days before X-mas in 05.. Things got better after that and me doin every thing that comes with having cancer. Till last year i started hurting and bleeding like crazy so now time to have every thing took out. So i would say you need to go see a GYN and let them run every test they can on you now before its to late sweet heart. Good luck and keep us up to date on what you find out of deside what to do

Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
(female)

ww1989 HB User

Hello,
I am a mother of two children. I also suffered from heavy periods and bad cramps. So in 2005, I had a hysterectomy. It was the best choice for me. The doctor left my ovaries, so I don't need any hormone replacement therapy (no hot flashes yet). My recovery time was a piece of cake. Although I had 6 wks off from work, I really could've gone back after 2.

I know they gynocologists have lots of options now. The hysterectomy was a wonderful choice for that I don't regret.

Last edited by ww1989; 07-21-2010 at 09:27 PM.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
(female)

jennyeve HB User

Glad i found this. I too have been researching options for what to do for my very heavy periods with large clotting. I get my periods regularly, they just seem to be getting heavier and heavier and last 7-10 days.

They suggested NovaSure, but not so sure about that. We don't plan to have any more children so I was thinking along the lines of a hysterectomy.

Would love to hear from more ladies.

Closed Thread