It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User
Daughter facing surgery for fibroids

My daughter (38) just met with a surgeon re: removal of some rather large fibroids. She was hoping to have them removed laparoscopically, but he said he didn't think it would be possible because of size and location. She is having an MRI next week, which will determine type of procedure....as he said there's still a slim chance he could do the lap procedure.

Because of her age, she's leaning towards having her uterus removed (has accepted the fact that she will not have children). This kid has suffered for years with heaving bleeding, tons of pressure, bowel and back problems. She really should have looked into surgery a couple of years ago but didn't....as I knew the longer she waited, the less chance she had of having minimally invasive surgery.

I had a laparotomy in my mid 30's because of an ovarian cyst and endometriosis and had a huge incision....at least 10" vertically. For those of you who have had an abdominal myomectomy, could you please share your experience...i.e., size of cut, days in hospital, recovery time? I realize everyone's situation is different...but would love to get some input.

This would be my daughter's very first major surgery. She's anxious.....and I am, too!

Thanks so much,
Linda

Old 07-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User
Re: Daughter facing surgery for fibroids

She could go on medication to try and shrink the fibroids before the surgery. Has she gotten a second opinion? I would definately get a second opinion and see about trying to shrink before surgery. I have had great success with shrinking mine with progesterone cream, but it is a slow process. It took me over a year but one of mine is completely gone and the other is so small the ultrasound tech. had a hard time finding it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

Hi, Linda,
I'm so sorry that your daughter has to deal with this before she can even have children (if that was ever a desire). I am here to say that I had an abdominal hysterectomy three years ago (at age 46) and have been feeling absolutely great ever since. I had no idea how debilitating the fibroids and heavy bleeding was until I was made better.

Sue

Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

My incision is halfway between my belly button and pubic line. I was in the hospital for four days, I believe. Three weeks later I made Thanksgiving dinner. On a scale of 1-10
pain wise, at worst it was a 4. I took Percodan at the hospital and didn't need to take
anything more than Advil once I got home.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Thanks for your replies....

Obviously, we have lots of questions before moving forward and I suggested my daughter get a second opinion, too. However, this surgeon is the best of the best here in Pittsburgh and she feels comfortable with him.

She has pretty much decided on a hysterectomy...besides the fibroids, she has been tested regularly for dysplasia and just wants to eliminate the "source" of so many problems

I mentioned her trying a dug to shrink the fibroids so that there could be a possibility of having the lap procedure. Lots of questions for the surgeon...but she'll go with the safest procedure for her situation. The surgeon said that her uterus is as large as a 16 week pregnancy.

She's talking about adopting, which is always an option.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to read and write.
Linda

Old 07-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

I wish her, and you ,well, Linda. It's not an easy decision. I'm really sorry for her pain.
Please have her email me if she needs any additional support. I truly do feel great.

Sue

Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Thanks so much Sue.....we truly appreciate it!!

Linda

Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
(female)

auntloralie HB User

My 20 yr old daughter just had surgery for an enormous (27lbs) ovarian cyst. I never heard it referred to as a fybroid so i don't know if there is a difference. She had a 12 inch incision vertically. She was in the hospital for 4 days, no complcations. She did have to have one ovary removed. She is still in a little pain 8 days later and resting on the couch. She will have stiches removed Thursday which will be 10 days after surgery. They say the recovery for this is 4-6 weeks. My daughter will probably be closer to the 4 week side since she's so young.

Good luck to your daughter and to you

Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Wow....27 lbs? That's like carrying 6-8 babies!

There's a difference between ovarian cysts and fibroids, which grow inside the uterus.

Much good luck to your daughter!

Linda

Closed Thread