It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

giabelsi HB User
How long to recover from a hysterectomy

Two weeks ago I had a partial hysterectomy. It was performed abdominaly. My doctor asked me if I needed more than the prescribed 4 weeks off work. I told him no. But honestly I dont think that i will be ready for work. I am still in pain and can't really do a lot physically. I still cant sit or stand for long periods of time. Once I go back to work there is no turning back. I have to stay.
Does anyone else have experience with how long recovery takes?

The following user gives a hug of support to giabelsi:
sshaw62 (02-26-2011)
Old 07-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User
Re: How long to recover from a hysterectomy

I had a complete hysto 3 years ago and mine was done laproscopocally(?) and i was only off work a week and a half. I was still sore when i went back to work but when i needed a break i just sat down for a few minutes and then i was fine. You will be sore but the more you can move around after a few weeks the better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I know women who have gone back to work at 3 weeks and those that took 6 weeks...6 being the most standard. Can you not just go week-to-week and just let the doctor release you for work when you feel like it?

Old 07-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
(female)

giabelsi HB User

Unfortunately when i go back the only way out is to file another FMLA claim. It takes time to see if metlife approves it. If it comes back 10 days later, and I've been off work, I lose my job. The days I was not there are considered 'no show'. Metlife makes it pretty difficult. They still havent approved me for FMLA or STDpay even though I started the paperwork on 6-21 The situation is just stressful.
No potty breaks unless it's break time. No accomodations of any sort will be made by my employer. I am apprehensive.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
(female)

giabelsi HB User

I do feel better hearing that you were back on the job so quickly. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #6
(female)

NikkyA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by giabelsi View Post
Two weeks ago I had a partial hysterectomy. It was performed abdominaly. My doctor asked me if I needed more than the prescribed 4 weeks off work. I told him no. But honestly I dont think that i will be ready for work. I am still in pain and can't really do a lot physically. I still cant sit or stand for long periods of time. Once I go back to work there is no turning back. I have to stay.
Does anyone else have experience with how long recovery takes?
Hi Giabelsi. I had also had a partial abdominal hysterectomy on 25 August 2010. I went back to work after 6 weeks with great difficulty. I am 41 years old and have no children. I also never had any operation with some kind of insicion. The hysterectomy was a huge shock for my body. It is now 4 and a half months later and I have still not recovered completely. I am still very sensitive around the wound as well as around the inside where the stitches were. I had to buy a bigger pants size as I could not and still can't bear any pressure around my abs. I also still experience swelling above and below the wound. The swelling goes down after a good nights rest and as soon as I get up and going it starts again. I also suffer from back pain as my stomach muscles are still weak and I use my back instead. Most people says the recory time is around 6 - 8 weeks, but I beg to differ. I also spoke to someone who had a hysterectomy at 7 years ago at the age of 33 after two children. She said it took her one year to fully recover and had the same symptoms as myself. It looks like everyones body has a different approach and the bottom line is that it takes time to heal. I hope you get better soon. Would like to hear how you are doing now. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

hi i had full hysterectomy 18 months ago,i was 49 at the time,i had 12 weeks off from work,and found it wery hard when i went back to work as my job can be quite phisical,and my blood was still low, i started feeling better phisicaly at about 1 year post op but my stomach is still big!! doctors are now putting my stomach issues down to gastric problems, hold on there is a light at the end of the tunnel. shirley

Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
(female)

cestlavie HB User

Six weeks is the norm for an abdominal hysterectomy-partial or otherwise. I had a radical abdominal hysterectomy and didn't even start to feel like myself until the 5th week. I got an 8 week leave and took an extra week on top of that. See if you can get a couple more weeks. 4 weeks isn't enough time to recover from an abdominal surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to cestlavie For This Useful Post:
NikkyA (01-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi a friend of mine had one and nearly died from it because she nearly bled to death. I think if I remember correctly some of the bleeding was inside.The nurse had tried to get ahold of the doctor for help but there was no reply until nearly too late. Fortunately she made it to tell us. Because there has been 2 weeks, chances are the healing has been enough to avoid this problem but if there is any question a health professional probably should be called. In the years past undone or busted stitching was something others have discussed. Infection could also be a potential to find out about. A temperature maybe aught to be taken at least once a day also. An ordinary laparoscopy may take 6-8 weeks before feeling completely healed up. It can be a similar length of time for healing for a broken toe. Hope this is useful. :smile:

Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I had a total hysterectomy in July. I was told it takes a year to fully recover. That shocked me as it was done lapiscopic and vaginally. The surgeon said at 3 months I was 80% healed but it is a long recovery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mel52 For This Useful Post:
NikkyA (01-23-2011), sjb (01-24-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #11
(female)

NikkyA HB User

Since my post I have been to the doctor. I have severe inflammation in my colon. Had problems with my colon before hysterectomy. Don't know why I didn't realise this sooner. I'm on medication now and have to go for a colonoscopy as soon as I'm better. Just shows that if your body tells you something is wrong, rather get a professional opinion. Apart from my colon problems I also agree - to recover from a hysterectomy takes time and patience.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkyA View Post
Since my post I have been to the doctor. I have severe inflammation in my colon. Had problems with my colon before hysterectomy. Don't know why I didn't realise this sooner. I'm on medication now and have to go for a colonoscopy as soon as I'm better. Just shows that if your body tells you something is wrong, rather get a professional opinion. Apart from my colon problems I also agree - to recover from a hysterectomy takes time and patience.
hi just like u i had problems with my stomach befor hys,thought it was to do with the fibroids!!!but after the opp my stomach has not got better,i am waiting for colonosopy,and barium swallow test,they think i have gastroparesis and nerve damage thats effecting heart beat and blood pressure,think we need to visit the digestive stomach board lol shirley

Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

wow see you on the stomach boards. I was doing great after the hysterectomy. I had my appendix out too in case that what was causing my pain. I did have fibroids and felt so good after the surgery I only took tylenol. Well the side pain is back. I have had colonsocpy, endoscopy, c t scan and ultrasound. All normal.

Closed Thread