It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

lovamastiff HB User
TVH with cystocele and rectocele repair

i had my uterus and one overy removed 10 yrs. ago i was 28. i have three kids. if you have had all the kids you want then this is the best thing i ever did. sometimes i wish i could have another child but as for sex its even better cause you dont have to worry about birth controll or a period. it will take about a full year to completely heal but i was up giving the kids a bath the day after. it will be about a month before you can go back to work. i hope this helped. good luck

Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
(female)

topsyturbie1234 HB User
Re: TVH with cystocele and rectocele repair

i'm scared too. My Dr. told me I have cystocele and rectocele and wants to take my uterus but leave both ovaries. im scheduled to have it on Aug 2nd and a friend of mine is begging me to not do it she wants me to go a naturalist Dr. who told her im probably vitamin D defecient and that with a big change in my diet and some exercise i could and should be able to restore my muscles myself and bring my badder back where it belongs shes asking me to give her ninety days to see if it wiil work and then if it dont i can reschedule the surgery i dont know what to do at this point i dont want to cut if i can avoid it but if i do the surgery and not give this a try first then ill always have that ? in the back of my mind WHAT IF any feed back would be appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
(female)

Vallen07 HB User

I am new on here and am now 3 weeks post op. This is my second surgery and it went very well. I had my uterus removed, colpopexy, rectocele repair. I am an RN and met a wonderful urogyn in the OR over 5 years ago while doing clinical rotation. He was the first surgeon in the US to perform surgery for cystocele repair with mesh. He is extremely meticulous and has had great success. After watching him in the OR, I went to see him for surgery and he was very conservative and insistant on saving my uterus even though it had prolapsed. He repaired the cystocele and uterine prolapsed but unfortunately I did not take it easy over the past 5 years and my job as an ER nurse requires pulling people out of cars sometimes and i am on my feet 12 hours straight. I developed a rectocele and my cervix dropped and my vagina was "slipping down" . He suggested pulling it all back up and doing the colpopexy and rectocele repair and I suggested my uterus coming out because I have 5 kids and am done with all that. He is very conservative and did not want to but my latest ultrasound showed fibroids developing so he agreed. I had the surgery June 28th and had min pain. I had no complications and never took one narcotic for the pain because i did not want constipation and have it disrupt the rectocele repair. He ended up not using the mesh for the rectocele repair but used my own tissue. I had the mesh for the cystocele and have not had any problems with erosion for the past 5 years and have not had any problems with any discomfort with sex. I would highly recommend a urogynocologist who is trained esp in this procedure to proform the surgery. There are a lot of butchers out there who are not experienced with this technique. The office is on the website and you can probably call the office and ask for recommendation for your area as he has taught this proceedure all across the United States. His name is Dr Vincent Lucente for the Female Pelvic Institute. I am so happy to have the surgery behind me and able to have normal bowel movements without pain and be able to empty completely out.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
(female)

Vallen07 HB User

what area are you from? Is this a urogynocologist? in reference to topsyturvy1234

Last edited by Vallen07; 07-23-2010 at 07:54 PM.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
(female)

kimberly d HB User

Oh My, I had a rectocele repair done about 5 months ago with the mesh and I'm still experiencing pain in my seat area~~ I'm wondering if I'll ever be the same. I went to the gyn. today and she said that something was wrong with the mesh on the lft. side--and so they would have to go back in and do more surgery.I just want to be pain free and able to have sex again!!! It is definitely painful after rec. repair---and I just bet the reason my seat hurts is because I'm just not healed completely... I'd love to hear any comments.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
(female)

notthesameinAK HB User

I had the exact same surgery except had overies removed; wish I hadn't. Wish I'd kept ovaries and REALLY wish I'd slowed down before making surgery decision. I'd been married a year and a half; intimacy was perfect before surgery and my sex life is now almost non-existant. PAIN at end of vagina where its stitched shut and tied up prevents almost all positions. The cystocele and rectocele are back, so what did I gain? Nothing... just lost: uterus, cervix, ovaries, possibility of giving new husband a child, most sex, all orgasms, self-image, even my mental health has suffered severely. If only I could go back and choose differently. If I'd have refused to move heavy freight I'd have lost my job... but lost it anyway along with my femininity... think long and hard before you do this and don't let ANYONE rush your decision!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
(female)

notthesameinAK HB User

To shejak08: as I read along I see you're making a lot better decisions than I did... so, can I get information on this speciality doc, and do you know what their success rate might be? I was told that to try and do surgery the 2nd time could leave me with so little vagina that I won't be able to have sex at ALL. I need another choice. I'd travel anywhere to get the right care this time around.

Last edited by notthesameinAK; 08-12-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: was not clear in original post

Old 08-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
(female)

Vallen07 HB User

i went to the Female Pelvic institute which is on the website..Dr Lucente is one of the pioneeers with these surgeries..I traveled from Phila up to Allentown to stay with him..I had a great surgery with min pain and he was careful to preserve the length of the vagina by leaving in the cervix and pulling it back to make it snug...so thankful I met him. I would call or email them and ask for a reputable dr. He teaches all over the United States and I would trust a referral from him.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
(female)

notthesameinAK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen07 View Post
i went to the Female Pelvic institute which is on the website..Dr Lucente is one of the pioneeers with these surgeries..I traveled from Phila up to Allentown to stay with him..I had a great surgery with min pain and he was careful to preserve the length of the vagina by leaving in the cervix and pulling it back to make it snug...so thankful I met him. I would call or email them and ask for a reputable dr. He teaches all over the United States and I would trust a referral from him.
Thank you for your reply! I was not told there were surgical options other than hysterectomy, and was told recovery is so much "easier", going through vagina instead of abdomen. I'd pay anything to have my former vagina but most of it is gone now. I want corrective surgery somehow without cutting it all up again. I will inquire where you suggested, and again, THANK YOU.

Closed Thread