It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
(female)

PHiggins6206 HB User
Abnormal PAP smears

I am 45 yrs old. I had my first abnormal PAP smear last year. I had a colposcopy followed by a LEEP in 12/09. I had my first PAP since having the LEEP and I was told the results were that atypical cells were found. So next I had a vaginal ultrasound which found a thickened endometrium. I just had a D&C a few days ago and am awaiting the pathology results.
I received my pre and post operative diagnosis and I am trying to make sense of them. Here's what I have so far:

1. atypical glandular cells;
2. atypical squamous cells; (HSIL)
3. atypical endocervical cells;
4. thckened endometrium on ultrasound

what does all this really mean? Do I have some type of certical cancer? am I looking at getting a hysterectomy? Any help is greatly appreciated. this waiting is really wearing me down.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-09-2010 at 12:01 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to PHiggins6206:
mimi5859 (03-15-2011)
Old 09-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: Abnormal PAP smears

PHiggins

Your pre and post operative results are typically the same. What you are reading are the results of past pathology.

You really need to await the pathology report from the D&C. This report should really only take one week to be sent back to the doctor.
Once you get this report, you probably should consult a gyn oncologist. This type of doctor really handles multiple abnormal gyn pathology results.
I notice that you live in Framingham, did you have your surgery at Metro West? You might want to look into seeing a gyn oncologist doctor at the Brigham or St Elizabeth's. I have had good luck at St Elizabeth's. I also think that Newton Wellsley has a special gyn oncology clinic.
Let me know how you are doing.

Last edited by shisslak; 09-08-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

PHiggins6206 HB User

okay, first, thank you for your post. I had given some thought already to finding a gyno oncologist, so your information really helps.
I received the path report today, so here goes:

1. Endocervical Curettings: Endocervical mucosa with squamous metaplasia and active cervicitis associated with repair changes in glandular epithelium (no dysplasia identified);

2. Endometrial Curettings: Late secretory endometrium with stromal breakdown and focal weakly proliferative features (no atypical/complex hyperplasia is seen).

Old 09-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User

PHiggins,

I think that report is considered a negative report--it mentions that there is no atypical/complex hyperplasia. I am not familiar with squamous metaplasia, but it does mention some inflammation (active cervicitis) without any dysplasia. The dysplasia is what you do not want because that is considered the pre-cancer tissue.

Have you spoken with your doctor about the report and was it explained to you? Are they going to treat your active cervicitis?
Let me how you are doing.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

sharonjules HB User

Your path report is negative!!!

Closed Thread