It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
(female)

debsav63 HB User
I'm a newb-have a ? about post-op complications

In December 2009, I had a complete hysterectomy. Since one of my ovaries was huge from a mass (NON-cancerous!), I had a vertical incision. Surgery was Tues. morning and I went home Thurs. morning. One week visit with surgeon went fine. I told him of my concerns of a "pop" a few different times when I'd sneeze. He said he wasn't worried about it, that everything looked good. I was feeling great!

Two weeks post-op, I felt like crap. I had horrible pain across my upper abdomen. It felt like an intestinal flu or something. I called my surgeon and he said it was normal. I didn't think so, but put my faith in the guy.

Exactly 3 weeks to the day of having my surgery, I was having emergency surgery to fix a hernia where the inner incision didn't hold, my bowel protruded and about a foot of my bowel had to be removed because it had died off. It was a different surgeon for this operation and the recovery was horrible. I woke up with what looked like two testicles hanging out of my pubic area - turns out they were some sort of drainage bulbs! I had several 'stay' sutures, so my tummy looked like an old-fashioned TV antenna patterned all over it. They were soooo tight and I was soooo miserable. I had to wear a tight binder for two months afterward.

There have been times since that second operation where I get soooo sick. I have horrible pain in my abdomen and vomiting that lasts for 3-4 hours. I don't know what's causing it. The doctor's don't know what's causing it. I even spent another 3 nights in the hospital in February because of it. No CT's were done, no x-rays were done, I was just loaded up with Toradol (which didn't help!) and left to myself. Since that time, I've sort of figured out that different foods will cause these 'spells', and I avoid them. It's a trial-and-error type of thing now with everything I eat.

I was/am still overweight. Is that what caused this in the first place? Should my first surgeon have caught this problem before it got so bad? Is this medical malpractice?

I also have diabetes, asthma/COPD, and spondylolysthesis. I was denied for disability.

Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
(female)

sharonjules HB User
Re: I'm a newb-have a ? about post-op complications

Has anyone looked at your gallbladder?

Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
(female)

debsav63 HB User

Yes, my gall bladder was removed in 2003. I remember very well what that pain felt like! Oy!

This feels like either my stomach or the upper part of my intestines are spasming. The pain tightens up, then loosens. Tightens up again, then loosens. It's really weird. Hubby thinks that food is getting lodged somewhere in my digestive tract when I eat the wrong thing, such as carrots, steak, etc.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
(female)

sharonjules HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsav63 View Post
Yes, my gall bladder was removed in 2003. I remember very well what that pain felt like! Oy!

This feels like either my stomach or the upper part of my intestines are spasming. The pain tightens up, then loosens. Tightens up again, then loosens. It's really weird. Hubby thinks that food is getting lodged somewhere in my digestive tract when I eat the wrong thing, such as carrots, steak, etc.
If you are still overweight my first suggestion is to start exercising,change your eating habits,etc,etc. Its all about portion control. I'm sure your diabetes would improve,your COPD would improve and your GI symptoms would as well.Most people who are overweight experience GERD and that could be causing some upper GI/esophageal spasms.In answer to your question re: your weight being the primary cause of most of your problems, I would have to say that your weight has everything to do with it. How old are you and where did the COPD come from? Certainly you don't smoke or live with 2nd hand smoke? Weight Watchers is the best program for weight loss. Good luck!!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
(female)

debsav63 HB User

I'm 47 and yes, I'm a smoker. Been trying to quit, but it's not easy to do. Don't lecture me...I've heard it all already.

Closed Thread