It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Experiences with Hysterectomies???

Due to a history of cervical dysplagia (tho no evidence for over 6 years since cone surgery) and the placement of a golf ball size fibroid, my Doc wants me to have a hysterectomy. I am 36 and done with kids. the fibroid caused heavy bleeding (one day a month I cannot leave the house) and difficulty emptying bladder. My mother and her mother both had this surgery due to the same issue in their 30s.

I am scared big time. Only been under GA once and I found it terrifying even tho there were no complications. He said it is up to me and there is no hurry. My husband really wants me to have it.

Can I just hear some honest experiences with this surgery or any possible advice?

Also (stupid questions coming) can I have a chin implant or boob lift at the same time ya think?? Kinda like a consolation prize...

Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
(female)

trexy66 HB User
Re: Experiences with Hysterectomies???

I was 32 when I had my hysterectomy because of fibroids and heavy bleeding.I am so happy I had the surgery.I had no complications except of course discomfort for a few weeks.It was really nice never having a period again and I do have my overies so I did not go into menopause.I think it was the best decision I ever made.I hope this helps ease some of your fears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
(female)

magicweaver HB User

Yes, GA can be frightening. But hey, you don't want to be awake for this kind of surgery. If the doctor is going to leave the ovaries you will think this is the best thing since sliced bread. No more periods! The surgery itself is not so bad. I was up and about the next day. A lot depends on how you handle pain. You will definitely be sore for a while. Your ovaries will still be doing their thing, meaning you won't be thrown into istant menopause. I had my hysterectomy at 28. What a relief!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Yep, ovaries will be left - thank god. Tho they do have cysts every so often.

Thank you so much for your replies!!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB UserSunsetnan HB User

Will you be having a vaginal hysterectomy or an abdominal? Your recovery will be different depending how it is removed. I had a large cyst on one ovary- one that could have turned into cancer if left to grow. It was so large that an abdominal incision was the only way to remove it. I also had 4 fibroids in my uterus that gave me heavy bleeding, and it was removed as well. The surgeon also performed an appendectomy and a ureteral suspension while he was there. No boob job or chin implant, sorry! You really don't want to add to your pain.

I had a catheter for awhile and was in a lot of pain. There is no getting around it, when they slice you from right to left. I had my pain medication button to push, but it only made me go to sleep until I woke up in pain and pushed it again. But I got through it and am here to tell the tale!

Certainly don't miss periods, but since I have an ovary left, I still have PMS- mood swings, bloating, etc... associated with a menstrual cycle.

My sister, who had other problems, had a vaginal hysterectomy and she did very well. She had both ovaries removed and went through the symptoms of menopause for several years before they went away.

Consider your options carefully, because you can't undo it. I still wish I had chosen to have a myomectomy (removing the fibroids only) and had one more kid (I still had one ovary left). I was a bit rushed in making my decision because of an insurance issue.
Best wishes for a quick recovery,

Last edited by Sunsetnan; 10-10-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Thank you! He said it would start laproscopically with the 3 small incisions to "loosen" everything up and then finish vaginally. I too may have to rush due to insurance before the end of the year. How terrible IS that anyway??!! These coprorations dictate our bodies and lives!!

Closed Thread