It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

Jersey Goseng HB User
abdominal post-hysterectomy care

it's the beginning of my third week post-op. After months of agonizing, it finally had to be done coz my anemia was getting worst...on one hand i feel relieved that i don't have to deal anymore with my really heavy bleeding and the falling hemoglobin that follows it, on the other hand i worry about prolapse, especially since i live an active life.

Just a few things about the op itself - whole mass removed totalled almost a kilo (!!!!). Two ovaries were left intact. the op lasted about 1.5 hours but they put me on GA (general anesthesia) so i felt very little pain, even after, when they gave me drip painkillers for about 2 days, i think, later shifting to oral painkillers on day3.

Day 1 post op - no pain but largely asleep.
i made a specific request prior to the op : no blood transfusion. i was lucky to have very skilled doctors who were able to minimize the blood loss so even if i only had hgl of 11, didnt need a transfusion coz it remained at that level even after the op. (just to explain though - I did two IV iron infusions prior to the ops, as prescribed by my hematologist, to raise my hgl which was only 9 few days pre-op.)

Day 2 - was able to get up with some help.

Day 3 - could sit on a chair for a few minutes several times a day but easily gets tired. (had to get up because GA causes minor lung infections, which I had on Night2. (I'm not a fan of meds for sore throats - luckily I had this African Sea Coconut Lung Tonic which helped control the coughs).

Week 2 - my incisions have partially healed and the doc hopes it will fully by week3. However, now i have a minor infection similar to vaginitis. I'm due to see the doc in a couple of days.

What i worry about now is vaginal prolapse which i read happens to about 10% of women who have had hyster. My doctor advises me to wear abdominal binders till 6 months for support. I wonder if this really helps and if other women are likewise advised by their docs ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread