It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
(male)

Realfather HB User
Emergency - fibroid treatment question

My wife has long periods, heavy flow abdomina pain. Recently the pain is became unbearable and she went for a scan this is the result "there is a normal size non-gravid anteverted utereus containing a fundally sited subserous fibroid mass measuring 3.8 by 3.5cm. Both ovaries and urinary bladder are grossly normal. Conslusion small uterine fibroid in an other wise normal non-gravid abdominopelvic scan" what is the best treament option for she is 26yrs old and we want children please help.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Emergency

Hi fibroids have been said to be caused by problems with hormones. It would be interesting to know things like estrogen levels, progesterone levels prolactin levels and other hormones the doctor might be willing to test for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
(male)

Realfather HB User
Re: Emergency - fibroid treatment question

The doctor said he will operate the fibroid and apendis at the same time i don't know what to do her pain is increasing.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I wouldn't want to have the doctor remove my appendix unless it is actually inflammed. I would be trying a heating pad and if that made it feel worse an ice bag. If that didn't help I would use a combination treatment of heat 3 min ice 30 seconds repeated 3-4 times. Heat to the feet might also be tried perhaps at the same time as the others, the feet must not be allowed to be cold. To avoid headache a cool cloth can be put to the head. Of course you are in charge of whatever decisions are made at all times. I would be interested to know what is tried and how it goes.

Last edited by sjb; 12-20-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
(male)

Realfather HB User

Thank you. I will try it. If she go for the operation will she be able to get pregnat and deliver without probloms in future? Is there any nutural cure?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I had my appendix removed at the same time as my hysterectomy. I had fibroids and since I am way done having kids had everything taken out. I was sick and tired of wondering if I had appendicitis or it was the fibroids so I asked to take it out. It is one useless organ. I had fibroids prior to having kids but mine were smaller.
I don't see why you can't have children down the road as there is no involvement on the other female parts.
In the meantime, do make sure her iron levels are good as excessive bleeding can cause anemia.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Hi there! Post-op complications for the removal of the appendix according to the nih and other sources include: fertility complications, infection, injury to surrounding organs, adhesions up to 95 years later, paralytic ileus, bowel may become swollen due to fluid and gas, some say years later a rare complication might be bowel obstruction with strangulation. An appendix should only come out if there is something obviously wrong with it in my opinion and because of these reasons I would be begging the doctor to leave that part of me alone unless it is bad.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
(male)

Realfather HB User

Thanks for your help. We have decided she would not go for surgery maybe after having children.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi You are welcome! Now for the pregnancy part. I suspect if the fibroid blocks the inside cavity a bit it might be a bit more difficult. A relative of mine put pillows underneath her during relations (I don't know if she had a fibroid but she got pregnant once and miscarried and later got pregnant again and carried and had a premature birth but the child lived and is now in her teens). It is said most women with fibroids can carry a pregnancy successfully to term. Also some women according to some sources have apparently helped their fibroids by juicing vegetables such as carrots. It is important not to allow constipation in my opinion nor diarrhea. I would use the vege juices in between meals. If a person is overweight in my opinion it would be important to reduce weight.

Last edited by sjb; 12-23-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #10
(male)

Realfather HB User

Thank you very much, your post is always helpful and encouraging. If you still find any information, pls do post it. Thank you

Old 12-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Hi you are welcome! If you want to I have posted to others in various places for other women that you may look at. I can't repost it for everyone but I want you to know that it is there for you. Have a really nice weekend!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #12
(female)

CrystalBeachMom HB User

I also have fibroids, had heavy periods and cramps. I had hydro ablation therapy, HTA. Basically, they Jacuzzi the uterus. Can't recommend it enough!!! No down time. Periods so much lighter and "normal" cramps have decreased as well.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I have read that pregnancy is unlikely after ablation therapy.

Closed Thread