It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
(female)

fluppy HB User
Lower Back Pain

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board, but I have faith that there is someone out there that might be able to help me. I had a hysterectomy back in Oct.2010 and recovered very well. I was up walking and I didn't even bleed, not even once. The worst thing I got after the surgery was waking up in all that pain. I was packed and had a cath in, believe me that was pure agony. They said it was were the packing was pushing up against the cath, I don't know I just know it was very painful. Now, my problem is lately I have developed this lower back pain that just kills me. I was already taking methadone, quite a large dose I must admit, I also am taking neurotin for pain and robaxin as well, none of these things work, my back still aches so badly. It hurts while sitting, standing and laying. I am my ends, I don't know what to do...I haven't even mentioned the uncontrolable bowels and bladder...Has anyone else developed this kind of pain after having a hysterectomy???Please help, if you can, please help.....

Old 03-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
(female)

safron HB User
Re: Lower Back Pain

Not sure if this will help you, but I had a hysterectomy in 2003 and a few months after returning to work I had severe back pain and by the end of one year I had to have a discectomy (back surgery for a ruptured disc). The reason is that your abdominal muscles are your main support for your back and if your abs are shot from a surgery like a hysterectomy, then you are mainly using your back for everything and it will give out before long. It is essential to strengthen your core after this kind of surgery. Hopefully it won't be too late for your back. Don't just go to the gym and do mad crunches, start off easy and build up strength slowly with alternative ab building exercises that aren't bad for your back like crunches, talk to a trainer or physical therapist if you can. Maybe your surgeon can send you to physical therapy for exercises to strengthen core and for your back to help with a bulging disc before it ruptures. also research proper ergonomics for sitting and working (on computers or bending or lifting). Hopefully this helps. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
(female)

NikkyA HB User
Re: Lower Back Pain

Hi Fluppy
I had a hysterectomy in Aug 2010. Had a lot of lower abdomen and lower back pain. Took the op quite bad. Colon problems can definitely cause lower back pain - i've delt with it a lot. Since Des 2010 I have struggled with constand lower ab and back pain, bloating and colon swelling. Went from GP to entrologist-wants me to go for colonoscopy and gastroscopy but medical aid refuses to pay. Went to nereopath who diagnosed me with a yeast infection. Put me on a candida diet and herb medication. Today I went for my two week follow up. A lot better but still a lot of sensitivity in colon. Dr says it looks much better-candida is gone but still have some bad bacteria. Still going on with candida diet and will go for follow up 13 April 2011. I'm positive that the herb medication will heal me. I still wonder though: Surely the colon must get used to a new lying space after hysterectomy. Especially if you have colon problems even before the hysterectomy. I've heard of women that say they took a whole year to recover completely after a hysterectomy.
I can't comment on uncontrolable bowels and bladder but the lower back pain - I know the feeling. I wish you good luck and hope you'll get better soon. Please let me know how it goes.

Closed Thread