It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
(female)

seeyahome HB User
Angry Post-Op Surprise, Total vag hysterect

I recently had a total vaginal hysterectomy, perineoplasty with mesh for rectocele, and vaginal suspension. I was assurred I would have a PCA for pain control for the first 8 hours or so post-op; I had a general anesthesia. I woke up in the recovery room with significant pain, and was given fentanyl through my IV, with good control; however, about 1-1/2 hours later I was switched to 5-10 mg percocet by mouth every 6 hours prn...

The pain was a 5-7/10, lower back, lower abdomen, peri area; it got as low as 2-3/10 very briefly. That was a very long, painful night.

Would like feedback from anyone who might have had a different experience with pain control post-op with this type of surgery. I was expecting a better-managed acute phase, post-op. The nurses told me this particular MD never uses PCAs, so I'm wondering if it's just a peculiarity with this MD or if it's common not to use IV pain management for this surgery. post-op.

I learned a big lesson: if I ever need to have surgery again, I will ask the surgeon specifically how he/she plans to manage the post-op pain! I never thought I'd have to ask!

The following user gives a hug of support to seeyahome:
ajpa (02-24-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
(female)

melindar930 HB Usermelindar930 HB User
Re: Post-Op Surprise, Total vag hysterect

I recently had a LAVH (laparascopic vaginal hyster), rectocele and cystocele repair and removal of right ovary). When I really came to in my room after the surgery they had me on morphine. Morphine wears off very quickly so I was in pain within a short amount of time. They did give me one dose of percoset through my IV but then switched me to alternating percoset and motrin every 4 hours by mouth. I could get 2mg of morphine in my IV every 8 hours, which hardly did anything because of it's short half life. They cut me off of that the next morning after my surgery.

I was crying I was in so much pain. They called the doctor and she authorized some more morphine. Come to find out the pain was mainly from the gas they blow you up with during the surgery. I have no idea why they can't give you something to control the pain for the first 8 hours while that gas works its way out. I plan to tell her at my follow up that I was not prepared for that kind of post op pain and really suggest that she tell her patients how it will be or manage their pain better.

The following user gives a hug of support to melindar930:
seeyahome (03-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
(female)

seeyahome HB User

I'm sorry that happened to you. I just don't understand what causes MDs to think it's okay not to control pain, especially when it's acute, short-lived, and the patient is not likely to be on pain meds for long duration of time. I sometimes think it's because they're not comfortable with the meds, and they don't have confidence in their knowledge of pain management.

Good luck to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to seeyahome:
melindar930 (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
(female)

melindar930 HB Usermelindar930 HB User

Same to you! I certainly hope neither of us has to go through any type of surgery again. Hope you are healing well.

The Following User Says Thank You to melindar930 For This Useful Post:
seeyahome (03-07-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
(male)

bcrews74 HB User

If anyone has gas build up and pain for more than 2 days, DEMAND a Gastro-Intestinal doctor look at you. If we had not done that my mom coulda died from procrastinating doctors. Large Intestine almost split from pressure. Found 3/4 gallon of fluid build up in post surgery cavity.

Closed Thread