It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
daVinci procedure

I am waiting for a date for surgery. I have been dealing with debilitating periods for years now. Heavy bleeding, so much so that I cannot go take a walk or much of anything else. I have to be in the bathroom every ten minutes to change tampon. The blood clot size is unreal. I am always tired and drained no matter how much sleep I get.

The pms I suffer is crazy. For at least two weeks prior, I get very anxious, forgetful, spacey, bitchy, you name it. When I get my period, I take three Advil every three hours! Finally got some pain meds.

Doc said for months that they worry more about break-through bleeding and if I felt I couldn’t deal with it any longer we would look into it. So I’d had enough. Got an ultrasound that showed lime-sized fibroids – a couple of them, and an enlarged uterus.

Still deciding - if my ovaries are healthy, keep them or remove them. If removed, I won’t have the debilitating pms (believe me – it is bad). Going into surgical menopause is not going to be a picnic, but I am 50. Doc said medical thinking is under 45 – keep ovaries, over 45 take them out. Also the ovaries descrease and cease to function after menapause. He also said if I don't get them out and need to in the future, it would be more difficult since the uterus will already be out. I told him I wanted to fix the problem I had now and not get new ones.

I’ll let you know when my surgery is. Should get a call today.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 03-18-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: daVinci procedure

Surgery date is Tuesday, April 26. Leaning more towards having ovaries taken out. I have a friend that had a hysterectomy and left her ovaries. Now five years later she is having bad pains from cysts. So another surgery.

I'll keep this post going with updates throughout.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User

hi, i'm having a hysterectomy day after tomorrow. i'm having my uterus and cervix taking out and leaving my ovaries in. good luck in what ever you choose. keep us updated.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Can I ask how old you are? What made you decide to keep ovaries? I am hormone imbalanced anyway so I figured it may help. I'm tired of being scatter-brained and anxious and etc.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User

I'm 39 and had prolong periods and heavy bleeding. I also have fibroids and an enlarged uterus. my doctor said to keep the ovaries so i don't go into menopause since there isn't anything wrong with them. I'm having the bikini cut surgery, I am not able to have the vaginal hysterectomy because my uterus is pushing on my bladder. he said i'll be in the hospital a few days and have to be out of work for 6 weeks. I hope all goes well with you, keep us updated. I'll update you in a few days, I go in at 7 tomorrow morning, good luck to you!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Update:

Surgery is now Wednesday, May 4

Still on the fence about ovaries. What gets me is the increased mortality rate.

Although I am not 100 % sure my ovaries are okay either.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl, hope you are doing well!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User

Hi, I'm 12 days post op, feeling really good. keep wanting to do things I can't because I forget I just had surgery, My pain is pretty much gone now. Surgery went great, no problems or complications. Best decision I have made. Just make sure you take it easy afterwards, you don't want any complications. My stomach is a little swollen still, but is steadily going down, good luck to you. keep me posted.

The following user gives a hug of support to hollygirl05:
sawbuck44 (04-15-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I had a total last July. I knew I had a fibroid but didn't know I had benign tumors in my ovaries until they were biopsied. For me this was the easiest surgery I have ever had, and I have had my share.

The following user gives a hug of support to Mel52:
sawbuck44 (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Met with doctor today. The surgery is a sub-hysterectomy - taking out uterus and ovaries, and leaving the cervix. I will be in the hospital overnight. Out for 4 weeks and he said if I needed 6 he'd write it up, but he didn't think I would.

When I told him I'd read that taking ovaries increases mortality, he said "from what?" I said cardiovascular. He said, 10 years ago they thought that but other studies have disproven it. I will not go on HRT right away until I show that I need to, if ever.

So I'll have the daVinci procedure with the robot and there will be 4 half-inch incisions. After a week, I go back to get stitches out.

He gave me the pain med script for after surgery - percocet.

Last edited by sawbuck44; 04-15-2011 at 10:42 AM.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
(female)

ohjudy HB User

Just an FYI. I saw my GYN yesterday. She said that when women over the age of 45 has there ovaries removed it's better. Since our ovaries produce estrogen we want a lower dosage at this age. with them being removed the estrogen medication you will be given is lower.

The Following User Says Thank You to ohjudy For This Useful Post:
sawbuck44 (04-19-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Here I am day after surgery. Sore but not bad. Doctor said my uterous was very large with multiple fibroids. Procedure went well. It was three hours. So I was in my room by 5pm. They had me up for a walk at 1am. then again at 5am. shakey. Can't seem to get comfortable sitting or laying down. Trying to walk as much as possible around the house. I'll check in tomorrow.

The following user gives a hug of support to sawbuck44:
hollygirl05 (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User

so glad your surgery went well!!! i am 5 week post op TAH, i get to go back to work next week, my doc said at 6 weeks i can resume all my normal activities including work. The main advice i can give you, is just take it easy!! your body will let you know whrn your over doing it, mine did lol. i still get tired easily but its getting better everyday!! thanks for keeping us updated!!

Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Still sore and it helps tremendously to hold a pillow firmly on my stomach when getting up and down. I remember doing that when I had two c-sections.

No discharge. Finally had bm yesterday about 7pm and then again at midnight. Again holding a pillow tight to stomach helped will having bm.

Urinating is normal. Don't have leaks or the need to rush to the bathroom.

I was given percocet but find that darvocet works better. Want to stop taking any soon, but not today lol.

Sleeping in a recliner. Have taken nap in bed and lay on my left side, where the pain is mostly, with a pillow pushed to my stomach.

Nurse told me that in a few weeks, for two weeks I'll be weepy and hot flashes, etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

5 days since surgery. Still sore when getting up and down. Sharp pains. Getting stitiches out this Wednesday. Itchy in the four spots and also itchy inside where no stitches are.

Cutting back on pain meds but still need them. I usually have a bm every morning, but didn't have one today at all. Stomach is still "puffy" and gassy.

Mood is fine. No discharge. Urination has not changed. My gf had hysterectomy surgery and they moved her bladder out of the way. Now she says when she has to go she has no time. She also leaks.

Ok, well I'll update after my doctor appointment.

Reply Reply