HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hysterectomy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hysterectomy/)
-   -   hysterectomy and weight gain question (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hysterectomy/868815-hysterectomy-weight-gain-question.html)

mmk2009 09-13-2011 09:29 AM

hysterectomy and weight gain question

If you've had a hysterctomy, what kind of experience have you had after having it? Would you do it over again if you could? Did you have an ovary left in or do you take hormone replacement therapy? Also, have you experienced weight gain since having your surgery?

I am 30 years old and facing the decision of having a complete hysterectomy. Last year I had my right ovary removed due to constant, recurring, cysts. At the same time I also had a tubal ligation, endometrial ablation and endometriosis taken out (for a second time. the first time was 6 months prior to that surgery). I currently have a 6.4 x 5.2 x 3.something cm cyst on my left ovary (per results of a ct scan and vaginal ultrasound done about two weeks ago). As of March 8th it was only 4.5 cm. My obgyn doesn't want to operate just yet since I don't really want a hysterectomy and she's afraid if she operates I will lose my remaining ovary. She did the CA 125 test on me last week on my results were 17.1 (with normal being under 35). On the ultrasound they weren't able to determine whether the cyst was a simple cyst or if it was what they referred to as a neoplasm. Apparently the only way to be sure is to biopsy it which requires surgery. At this point I'm debating going ahead and having the hysterectomy. My obgyn told me that most of the things I read on the internet aren't true (losing the ability to orgasm, vaginal shortening, organs falling out of place) but I'm still not completely sure about what to do. Every woman on my mothers side of the family has had a hysterectomy (grandmother: hemmorhaging cyst, mother: severe endometriosis, aunt: pre-cancerous cells) and my cousin on my fathers side who is just 6 months younger than me had one done last year for severe endometriosis as well. I'm also concerned about weight gain. It seems like all I can find online are stories about women gaining a substantial amount of weight after having complete hysterectomies. Not sure if it's because it's common or because the women who don't gain weight just don't post about it.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate you sharing any personal experience you may have with a hysterectomy. Thanks!

slenderella 09-13-2011 10:09 AM

Re: How was your hysterectomy experience? (and weight gain question)

I had my hysterectomy several years ago, I was 46. I had an abdominal surgery due to a huge fibroid (19cm) that we had been waiting and watching every six months before it grew so big in the last six. My surgery went very well. I had one ovary removed so I never needed hormone replacement. I have had no issue with weight gain, and I am at least twenty five pounds lighter since my surgery, actually. I love not having a monthly period anymore and I have to say, for whatever reason sex is better than ever.
I know that you will hear many horror stories. I am here to tell you that my life has improved in so many ways since I had my hysterectomy. Of course, surgery is not meant to be taken lightly, but if you do need it, if your story is anything like mine you will only wish you did it sooner. God bless, Sue

mmk2009 09-15-2011 03:00 PM

Thank you so much for your response! I really need to hear some positive responses, especially with everything that's gone on with me in the past 24 hours.

I had an episode of pain yesterday that started while driving and nothing I did could control the pain. I went home and took pain meds and laid down but it didn't help. It got to the point that I could hardly walk so I called my obgyn and they told me to go to the ER at the hospital she now works for (she recently switched). I had a horrible experience there and they sent me home without my pain being controlled and with one prescription for an antibiotic....I woke up at 3am with more pain and that time accompanied by spotting. I called my obgyn the moment they opened and was told no doctors were in today. I begged to come in and see the nurse practitioner but they said no and told me to go BACK to the ER. I went to the ER I usually go to (unfortunately I end up there quite often due to kidney stones and now this cyst situation) and they were much more compassionate. I was told it looks as if my cyst is leaking and that may be where the pain is coming from. My next step is to make an appointment and discuss the hysterectomy with my OBGYN. I don't really feel that I have much of an option at this point anymore.

George1984 09-15-2011 03:19 PM

Thanks for the positive response! I am going to have a hysterectomy (before the end of the month) and I am glad to know that a positive outcome can come from this surgery. I also have fibroids, but my biopsy just came back no problems so that is good news also.

slenderella 09-15-2011 04:40 PM

You're welcome. Unfortunately medical boards seem to draw people who had bad experiences, not good. I guess the ones with the good experiences don't even look at these boards! I've made it my mission, lol, to encourage anyone who needs a hysterectomy to weigh their options, choose their doctor wisely, and then take the leap of faith that all will be well, because it surely was with me. I hope you will both come back here and post after your surgeries, let me know how you are doing.

blessings, Sue

ilovehellokitty 01-08-2012 05:50 PM

Re:

I had my hysterectomy a little over a month ago and it was the best decision I could have ever made. I had endometriosis and it caused chaos in my life since I was 15. Im 22 now and couldn't be happier with my decision. So I say if you cannot stand the pain any longer go for it. The inbalaces with the hormones made my weight fluctuate all the time no matter how I dieted or worked out I would bounce between 150 something and 135.

I had a full hysterectomy and everything was taken out. I just started on the hormone replacements where I wear an estrogen patch and inject a testosterone cream inside me. The prescriptions are fairly inexpensive only 40a each but if you go on the the company's website you can always print off a coupon or either free or really cheap one months worth. So far im getting better with the mood swings and hot flashes. But I am completely happy with my decision and if you don't have kids but might want them im the future there is always adoption. Alot of these female problems are hereditary and I was worried about passing it on to my future daughters if I were to have any.

So. All in all. It was a great decision and an even better excuse to take an entire month off work! :)

Good luck!

lelou 10-08-2012 05:16 PM

Hi,

I had a TAH in Jan 2011, due to abnormal cells after a routine smear test,
it all happened so quickly for me, before i knew it was had to see a consultant, have a biopsy taken from my womb, which was the worse pain i had ever experienced, then have an MRI scan, they said there seemed to be somthk suspicious on the lining of my womb & the Conult said she feared it may be Cancerous, i couldn't believe what i was hearing, nxt thing i knew she told me i needed a total Abdominal Hyst, i really didn't want it done, i couldn't have children which we tried for for many years, had a miscarriage in 99 & failed IVF Treatment in 02, was heartbraking,
So was really hard to hear i had no choice in having this Hyst, so went ahead & had the Hyst in Jan 2011, went & saw the Consult a few months after the TAH & they said i had Stage 1, Grade 1, Endometrial Carcinoma on the lining of my womb, so i was very lucky it was found so early on & i didn't need any other treatment or follow up appointments,

I have to admit i have put on a lot of weight since the TAH,
they also told me that i would need to go onto HRT, because they had taken my ovaries away, but since the hyst i haven't had any menopause symptoms at all, its been nearly 18mnths & i haven't gone on any HRT, I don't no if i was premenopausal before the TAH, or have already been thu the Menopause years before the Hyst,
But I'm not moaning, & its also great to have no periods, i had been plagued with Ovarian cysts for most of my adult life, especially on the right ovary, which they should have taken away years ago really,

But have been feeling a little low & teary this last month, but no hot flushes or other things associated with the Menopause, Yet!!! hahaha

I've got to say it took me a few months to start to feel better after my TAH, but its all abt state of mind & making the best out of a situation, Positivity & Motivation is the Key!

I'm sure you,ll feel Much better after your Hyst hun

Hope it all go's well for you

all the Best

Lelou.

SouthGenie 11-04-2012 12:01 PM

Slenderella; That sounds like a huge fibroid. Mine is the apparently the size of a softball. I'm getting the surgery in less than 2 weeks, because I cannot live like this at all. I'm wondering what kind of pain were you in before you had the surgery and if you could eat? I'm not on chemo but everything makes me sick right now.