It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

Kim78 HB User
Need advice - Hysterectomy or not????

I am 33 years old with a 15 year old daughter. I was diagnosed with high risk HPV 14 years ago & have had 3 LEEPS since that time; the 3rd one being 1.5 years ago. My pap just came back abnormal again 2 weeks ago & we're waiting to see if I'll need another LEEP in the new year.

I was also diagnosed with endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and ovarian cysts (due to the endo) 6 months ago. I NEVER had ANY painful period issues, EVER, UNTIL I had surgery 6 months ago to remove the endo, ovarian cysts, & fibroids. NOW, since the surgery, I am in SEVERE pain for the first 3 days of my period, to the point to where I just want to hurl myself off of a tall building, just for some sort of relief. I feel that having that surgery was the worst thing I could have done, eventhough I had the endo, cysts, & fibroids removed.

I have been on 4 or 5 different birth control pills with NOTHING MORE than a BAD reaction to all of them, so I'm about DONE with hormonal medications. I WANT another child SOOOO BAD BUT I am still in school and not in the best position, financially to have another one, so I think I'm kind of "holding on" to the womb for future referrence BUT, at the same time, I'm SO SICK of having health issues related to this crap already!!!

I am thinking of having a hysterectomy, with removal of my cervix, and maybe one ovary; I thinking if I leave an ovary, I won't be pushed into menopause 20 something years before my time. I think my biggest issue is sex after a hysterectomy, with no cervix. I know this may sound stupid but HOW is sex mechanically possible without a cervix, after a hysterectomy?

I'm just looking for SOME sort of relief here. I DON'T have sex on a daily basis; we'd be LUCKY to have it once a few months or so and G-D BLESS my boyfriend of 13 years for dealing with me and my health issues. I feel bad for him and have thought about letting him go, so that he can find someone, without medical issues, that he can live a "normal" existence with...

ANY & ALL advice / info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

THANKS SO VERY MUCH!

Kim

Last edited by Kim78; 12-30-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Need advice - Hysterectomy or not????

I don't know how it's possible, honey, but let me assure you that sex after hysterectomy is great (and feels exactly the same as sex pre-hysterectomy)! I had mine in 2006 and kept one ovary, as you are considering. Very happy with that decision. I had a huge fibroid and was having bleeding issues so I needed a good quality of life....and hysterectomy gave me one.
I wish you the best!! Please come back with any questions.
Your boyfriend will be thrilled not to have to use birth control anymore, LOL

blessings, Sue

Last edited by slenderella; 12-30-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

Kim78 HB User

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for your response!!! I APRRECIATE ALL the responses / experiences other's have to share regarding the same issues I have. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone, although, sometimes it does feel that way....

Have you had any side effects / negative issues after having the hysterectomy? Did you have your cervix removed as well? What about the big "O"; how's that after having a hysterectomy? Is that even possible after a hysterectomy? I am also worried about vaginal prolaspe too; and any other organ prolapse that could be possible with having a surgery like this. I'm sure these questions sound SO STUPID but I have NO CLUE as to what life will be like after this procedure, IF I decide to have it done. I'm trying to weigh out all of my options, as this surgery isn't a walk in the park, I'm SURE.

I thought that having this myomectomy 6 months ago to remove the endo, ovarian cysts, & fibroids was going to be a good thing for me but since my surgery, I'm in SEVERE PAIN EVERY month. A pain I've NEVER been in before. I'd rather have 20 more kids, pain med FREE, every 9 months for the rest of my life than to EVER experience the monthly pain I feel when I get my period. It's just INSANE!

I NEVER had ANY issues like this until about 2 years ago; it seems like since I hit 30 years old, everything seems like it's going down the drain, health-wise, FAST!!! I've been diagnosed with the endo, ovarian cysts, & fibroids, along with the severe monthly pain, all in less than 2 year's time. I have changed my diet since I had the surgery; I don't eat red meat anymore (haven't done so in 2 years) & I don't eat fast food (I couldn't even tell you the last time I had fast food); I do eat chicken & fish once in a while & when I do eat it, it is organic. I'm hoping that if I eat a more "clean", natural diet, I'm eliminating some of the extra hormones that are contained in these foods, as I've read that these health issues that I've been "blessed" with are associated with an overload of estrogen.

I just want a "normal" existence / sex life without issues with pain, recovering from biopsies &/or LEEP procedures, laparotomy surgeries to remove endometrial implants, etc. I KNOW that a hysterectomy DOESN'T cure endometriosis but I'm thinking that there HAS GOT TO BE SOMETHING that I can do here. I'm just SO TIRED of the bleeding, the pain, & the CONSTANT worrying everyday about this. It's preventing me from living any kind of a real life.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kim78:
lesliesunshine (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

There are no stupid questions! You have every right and reason to want to be well informed before you have a surgery like a hysterectomy.
I have no uterus, no cervix, one ovary. I was orgasmic before the surgery and am equally orgasmic now, after. I had absolutely NO negative side effects from the hysterectomy other than an abdominal scar...and maybe you won't even have to have
an incision like that....it is for your doctor to decide. I obviously have no more pain or bleeding issues and since I am not bleeding all the time I am also not anemic anymore.
I felt like such a prisoner to my heavy bleeding...the quality of life was just not there for me anymore.
My recovery went great. I had a small amount of pain in the hospital, stayed three days, if I remember correctly (this is because it was an abdominal incision) and then only took one Percocet on the day I got back home and afterwards only Advil. Three weeks later I prepared Thanksgiving dinner! I didn't lift anything, but was certainly well enough to enjoy all of the cooking. I was 46 when I had my hysterectomy and my fibroids were a "wait and see" for six years prior. If only I had a magic ball I would have done my surgery the first time I was told I had fibroids. It was the difference between a laparoscopic procedure and an abdominal one.

happy new year! Sue

Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
(female)

Kim78 HB User

I do have an abdominal scar from the myomectomy 6 months ago; like a c-section scar. I was in the hospital for a whopping 36 hours before they booted me out & sent me home with nothing more than a RX for 40 percocets, which did NOTHING for the pain. I have to say that Advil Liqui-gels worked better for the pain than the narcotics they Rx'd me! LOL! I could care less about scarring; I just want SOME sort of relief. To me, the scars are just a reminder of living life....like "battle wounds". LOL! I would give my right arm, & learn to write with my left, for ONE DAY of normalcy; JUST ONE.

I am SO SCARED of having a hysterectomy, just thinking of all of the negative things that could happen afterwards. My family keeps pushing towards the hystrectomy but it's easier said than done when it's not them that has to make the decision & live with the consequences. I kind of regret having the myomectomy 6 months ago BUT if I didn't have it, I would have NEVER known that I had the endo or the ovarian cysts, until the cysts burst or until I tried to have another child & couldn't because of the cysts & endo...

I want a hysterectomy to be the ABSOLUTE LAST RESORT for me....my doctor offered to do it when we were discussing the myomectomy but was hesitant to do it because of my age, desire for more children, & lack of uterine cancer. He wanted to put me on birth control pills & do one of those "wait & see" approaches with the fibroids but I figured "why"? I'm just covering up the issue with pills; like putting a band-aid on a bullet hole. The bc pills weren't going to resolve the fibroids.

I want another child SO BAD. I guess that's what's holding me back from doing it. My boyfriend of 13 years has a 16 year old son from a previous marriage & I have a 15 year old daughter (soon to be 16 in 3 weeks) from a previous relationship BUT I WANT one with him. I want a mixture of his son & my daughter for myself; I want a piece of him for me. Does that sound selfish? It did to me, when I read it...LOL! Maybe I'm not supposed to have another child. I don't know....I just NEVER pictured my life to be the way it is. I NEVER in my worst nightmares EVER thought I'd have health issues like this or be living my life based around these health issues....and what's worse, is I feel like I'm dragging him down with me. I feel SO BAD that we can't do the things that normal couples do everyday. I feel like my situation just isn't fair to him.

I don't know....I guess I'mjust scared that if I have the hysterectomy, thinking that it'll be good for me, it would turn out for the worst, knowing my luck....or lack thereof....

Closed Thread