It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
(female)

Brenza HB User
NovaSure Endometrial Ablation Experience

Hi

I am 45 years of age and I am posting today because I would like to share my experience with having the NovaSure Endometrial Ablation. In short for those who want to skip past my long story, everything went fine and 3 days later I'm feeling great with no complications. However I want to share my story for those who are maybe doing what I had done and are reading all the horror stories and are scaring themselves from having this done.

When my doctor suggested it for me I thought it sounded like a great idea. She said it was painless and that it was possible that my periods would stop completely. This was great news for me because I suffer very heavy periods for 3 days straight soaking an extra super size tampon every hour. Not only that my periods came every 21 days sometimes with very painful cramps. This leaving me feeling very drained and tired and unmotivated most of the time. So I thought who would not want to never have a period again!! But like with everything I figured there had to be a catch.

The doctor assured me that everything would be okay that this was day surgery and painless and I would be back to normal the next day. I agreed and surgery was booked for 15/03/1012. However before that date after going online and researching the procedure and reading everyone's posts about their experience I was totally horrified! I went back to the doctor and told her what I had read and that I didn't want to do it. She again assured me that I was a good candidate for the procedure because of the tests she had done on me. She claimed that I wouldn't have any complications.

I didn't have endometriosis or fibroids or other problems other than the bad periods and a prolapsed uterus. Plus I had tubal ligation Nov 2010. She told me that everyone's body is different and that sometimes there are hidden things wrong that could cause complications if they are not noticed before the procedure. This is why having the appropriate tests before hand is very important. She also claimed the procedure was better now from when it was first introduced years ago.

So I decided to stop reading online and waited for the day. I figured since I didn't have endometriosis or fibroids or any other ailments that I would be okay.

I had the procedure done at the hospital while under anesthesia . Don't know how these women had it done while awake at the doctors office. They must be very brave. I'm a big wimp and no way would I have ever agreed to have it done. Before the doctor did the ablation she checked my uterus with a scope and did a d&c. I woke up in recovery feeling okay, I only had mild cramps which I asked for pain pills for straight away. After receiving the first set of pain pills an hour later it didn't seem like they were working. I wasn't in a lot of pain, but I know with cramps if you don't nip those in the butt straight away the worse they get. So the nurse gave me something else for muscle cramps which did the trick.

After 4 hours they let me go home. I had very light dark spotting, kind of like what you get at the end of your period. I was starving and had Maccas on the way home and had a Big Mac meal. However I couldn't eat it all. I didn't feel sick or anything just tired. It was 6pm when I got home and I dozed off and on for the rest of the eve and then slept amazing that night till the next morning. I took pain pills every 4 hours till I went to bed just in case, but the next morning when I woke up I felt fine. I didn't do anything that day except go to the shops walk around a bit and then come home. No cramps, just slight spotting.

It's been 3 days now and I still have slight spotting but nothing to worry about. I do get tired easy once the evening comes and have been experiencing vivid dreams every night since the surgery. Other than that, no pain or any other problems. I will post back again months from now if anything unusual happens. Cause I know I was grateful for the posts from the ladies that shared their experiences months after having it done. Right now I'm curious about those ladies where it all went well for them in the beginning and if they got a period or had any problems later on down the road.

Many thanks to everyone who has shared on theses boards their experiences and I'm really sorry for some of the tragic stories where some ladies feel the ablation destroyed their life.

What I have learned and my advise to anyone thinking of having this done is to really make sure that you are a good candidate to have this done by asking lots of questions. Don't be afraid to ask because this is your body not the doctors. If they don't sound totally positive and say things like we could try this to see if it helps. I be wary. I sometimes I think that doctors get caught up trying to help the patient and over look the risks feeling that maybe the patient has nothing to lose. This is why I feel asking all the right questions is the only way to assure that the risks are low.

I am hoping I have done the right thing for me. I guess only time will tell now....

Cheers..

The Following User Says Thank You to Brenza For This Useful Post:
nuddle (11-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: NovaSure Endometrial Ablation Experience

Thank you for posting. It's so important that women hear success stories. Glad yours is one of them!!

to your health, Sue

Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
(female)

jmcw HB User

Thank you for sharing your story.

I was told 2 years ago by my GP that I would be a perfect candidate for this surgery. She then referred me to a gyn. I went and saw one who told me that she would not do the surgery because she felt I am too young to make the decision to end my reproduction forever. I highly disagree. I explained to her that my husband and I made the choice not to have anymore children when he had a vascectomy. She told me that she and I could discuss the matter further when I was over the age of 40. It has now been a year, i am due for a new exam and will be seeing someone who may be sympathetic to my situation and is willing to do the surgery that my husband and I so desperately want.

Please continue to keep us updated as I would like to follow your story. I wish you health and happiness.

-Jen

Old 05-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

OhSuzyQ HB User

My experience has been a little different.

My Dr. recommended an ablation because of fibroids causing pain, and very heavy periods that led to anemia

I had a myomectomy for fibroids, a D&C, hysteroscopy and uterine ablation on 5/11. I was under anesthesia, but came right out of it easily afterwards. I had light cramping, and bleeding, and slept a lot but haven't felt bad since

I continued to bleed until 5/21, when my period started. My period was just as heavy as it ever was! I was devistated. How could that even be possible?

My doctor said to give it a few months because sometimes it takes a few cycles for your period to sort itself out.

Another side effect is that I gained 8 lbs in the first week and look like i have a basketball under my shirt. My doctor says I'm very swollen and that would go away too. Any idea how long it will take? It's uncomfortable and embarrasing.

I hope this procedure works, so far I'm just so disappointed.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
(female)

Brenza HB User

Just an update to my progress and a response to the two ladies who have taken the time to reply to my post..

First I like to say that things have been great for me. After the procedure it was three weeks of light spotting and then nothing ever since. At about 3 weeks I had some slight cramping which felt like I was going to get my monthly, but then nothing happened.. It's been approximately two months and two weeks since I had the procedure...

However, I feel I have gained a bit of weight and my stomach sticks out a lot more than it used to. This annoys me of course cause who wants that? I've have been trying to change my diet, walk more and be more fit. I am 46 so I'm not the spring chicken I used to be ha ha. So my metabolism is a lot slower than it used to be and over the years I have noticed it decline as I have got older..

jmcw thank you for your reply.. It really annoys me when doctors decide for you what they think is best for you. If your husband has had a vasectomy well that's pretty final then isn't it? However they are probably thinking if you leave your husband and meet someone else you could change your mind and probably want more children. :-/

OhSuzyQ thank you also for your reply.. When I was doing my research before I had this done I did read that people who had fibroid's had more problems after than those who didn't.. I'm sorry that you are not benefiting from this but it's been great for me so far.

I had my first check up and the doctor said everything is fine and think's that everything will be for a long time to come... I hope that this is true. After years of bad periods and pain and worry it be nice to not have to worry about pads and bleeding and going to work and being worried that you will have an accident.. It's funny cause I always carried around with me pads and tampons just in case I'm surprised and caught off guard. However cause so much time has passed I think about taking it out of my bag.. Tho I am worried that if I do that I will be punished with my monthly suddenly deciding to surprise me lol..

I will update again...

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
(female)

nayinpa HB User

Had my D&C and Ablation today. The versed they used instead of knocking me out was great. I didn't feel sick at all. I was very dizzy though, my bp dropped, that's just how I am, nothing to do with the surgery. I'm having cramping now, not much bleeding. My gyno Dr. suggested this procedure because I was getting a period every 18 days, and would have to wear 2 heavy duty overnight pads at once. Hopefully, this is the end of that for a while. A friend of mine had this done 6 years ago for the same reasons, she said it worked wonderfully for her. Her periods are getting a little heavier, but nothing like they were before the ablation. Well, I'll check back a little later

Closed Thread