HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hysterectomy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hysterectomy/)
-   -   28, no children, hystorectomy last option? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hysterectomy/933249-28-no-children-hystorectomy-last-option.html)

Nswjesse 12-28-2012 08:48 AM

28, no children, hystorectomy last option?

Hello all!
I am new here but would love to hear your thoughts on my "situation".

I am 28, recently divorced and have just a month ago had a "marena" inserted for contraception but mostly due to severe periods.
I have had this all my life - since 10 when I first started menstration.
One of my ovaries has severe scar tissue so I would get a very heavy and painful period every second month. These lasted between 1 week and 6 weeks going through a maternity pad every hour. I also would get migraines at the same time where I throw up for 3 of these days and cant eat or drink.

I went on the pill to try ad control these periods as the flow I got unexpectedly whilst at work or out was so embarrassing. This worked for up tons year but then my body seemed to divert back to the normal "irregular, painful, heavy periods" and the migraines never stopped.

1 month ago I started the marena. So far I am cramping, sore breasts and weight gain to the point of stretch marks in a month! :(
I am going to stick it out 6 months to see if it settles but I feel it's my last chance before a hysterectomy.

My mum had a hystorectomy at 35 due to similar reasons, tho she was successful in having 3 children.
Unfortunately children is nt an option for me. My ex-husband and I never "practiced" and my current partner will not be ready for 5+ years and it's not a strong desire for him. Whilst I would love children, I have spent 18 years sick and in pain and want it to be over so I can get healthy and live my life - one that's not around cramps and pain and heavy bleeding and migraines!

Has anyone faced anything similar? What is the average recovery time? Do you have suggestions of anything to try as an alternative?

Keen to hear your experiences.

Kind regards, Jesse

adis 03-08-2013 03:58 PM

Re: 28, no children, hystorectomy last option?

Hi Jesse,
I am also 28. I had a LAVH a week before i turned 28 (feb 14, 2013). I have also had many years of painful periods to the point where I couldnt stand because of the cramping. I have tried multiple bc and none of them helped. I was fortunately blessed with two children, a 5 yr old dtr and a 4 yr old son. I was nervous about the hysterectomy but the doc said it was the best option for me. I didnt realize until i had it done how much pain i was really in. Since i have had it i feel more energetic ( give or take how much i do since im still recoverying) and happy and pain free ( again give or take how much i do that im not suppose to ). It all depends on what your doc says and they will help you figure out your best treatment plan. Luckily for me it was the hysterectomy. I found out at my 2 week post op appointment that my left ovary had vericose veins on it and was dying and i had a polyp in my uterus. That was the reasons of my pain and heavy bleeding. Good luck to you.
Ashley

STLouisgal 03-10-2013 08:48 AM

Re: 28, no children, hystorectomy last option?

I'm sorry for all your pain - that must be really difficult! The IUD, or any treatment for that matter, can take several months to start having an effect. Also, if the one med to reduce pain and bleeding stopped working maybe you can switch to another. Was that med a prescription? Lysteda and even Rx strength ibuprofen or NSAID's can be effective.

I had a hysterectomy at a much older age than you and regret it daily. I became a person I don't even recognize physically or emotionally and live with angst about what else will "crop up" as more years go by (such as surgeries to address bladder and bowel prolapse and worsening of back and hip pain). And the hormonal effects have been devastating.

I wish I'd known that the female sex organs (uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes) are essential a woman's entire life to keep her healthy. They aren't just for reproduction. My ovaries were removed too but, frankly, I miss my uterus more than my ovaries. Hormones partially compensate for the loss of my ovaries (although they haven't reversed the RAPID AGING that happened quickly post-op). But there's no fix for the internal and external changes to my anatomy from the loss of my uterus and it's role in pelvic integrity. I don't even have the same feelings of closeness to my husband and children. And libido and "nether region" sensation are pretty much gone. No hormone cocktail has restored them.

I didn't have much experience navigating the medical system prior to my surgery because I didn't have any need to go to doctors. I mainly went to my gynecologist (surgeon) every year for my annual pelvic exam. If I had it to do all over again, I would have done much more research and searched high and low for a doctor who only used treatments that spared the female organs and their lifelong functions.

Best of luck to you in getting help!