It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
A friend of mine has to have a hysterectomy next month...

My friend is having a hysterectomy next month. She was told that many women take about 4 weeks to recouperate from it. She wants to know if that is due to the physical part of it or the emotional part of it. She's in her early 50s and has had problems. How long does it take to get well? She's looking for answers. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: A friend of mine has to have a hysterectomy next month...

Sorry your friend is having problems! I had a hysterectomy 7 years ago at age 49. The surgical recovery was easy for me. But to this day, I regret having had this surgery. I wish I'd done more research instead of trusting what my doctor told me and allowing him to instill fear in me. He gave me misinformation and didn't offer me other treatment options.

I'm now left with the changes to my figure and the resulting back and hip pain as well as bladder and bowel problems. I'm not the outgoing, vibrant, confident woman I was before. My "physical" and emotional relationship with my husband has changed and I don't feel as maternal toward my children. The hormonal imbalances have also caused a number of quality of life issues - AWFUL hair loss as well as overnight graying and skin aging, depression, anxiety, interrupted sleep, loss of focus (sort of like attention deficit), memory and cognition loss, muscle mass loss, nausea, shakiness, loss of appetite (I think that's it!).

Hysterectomy is more often than not inappropriately recommended as shown by this study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10674580.

Wishing the best for your friend!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you St. Louis gal, at last, someone answered my question. Why does it take so long (4-8 weeks) is what I was getting at. Can you answer that? Thanks so much. I'll pass the info to my friend.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

Hysterectomy is considered a major surgery. There's a lot of internal cutting that takes time to heal. Overdoing it too early can have serious repercussions. I've read that complete internal healing can take about 6 months.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks St. Louis Gal, I think that's the answer -- it's the amount of cutting that has to be done. I feel sorry for my friend. I hope all goes well with her.
I wish you the best of health too.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

That's correct, hysterectomy is a major surgery. I had mine a few years back, I was 47. I had an abdominal hysterectomy due to a very large fibroid. Though you have to go easy for many weeks, you can still live a perfectly normal life. In fact, three weeks after my hysterectomy I cooked a full Thanksgiving meal for my family. I didn't lift anything more than three pounds, and didn't walk my stairs up to my bedroom unnecessarily, but it's just a precautionary measure as you are physically healing. This is not a time quote for emotional healing.
I am thrilled that I had my surgery and I've had no changes in my body. The sex is even better than it was before. It's a joy not to have my period anymore. I wish your friend the best of luck!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks sweet potato. I will pass your info onto my friend.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well my friend is supposed to have her surgery today for her hysterectomy. I wish her well and pray for her. She lives in a different state than I do now. I'll let you know how she does once I talk to her.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good News, my friend called me yesterday and she came through it OK. I just want to thank everyone for their advice. It was forwarded to her.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear her surgery went well!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Good news! You are a good friend.

Reply Reply