It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
(female)

ParadoxicalLife HB User
Exclamation SCREAMING for help! (L Ovary Mystery)

Had L Ovary removed Emergency Room last August.
(4th surgery for that ovary and cysts... PHEW, it's all over now!)

This June GI did CT Scan for intestinal pain and it showed a L Ovary with cysts AGAIN?!!

Ultrasound at the end of June confirm.
I contact the surgeon who did the emergency surgery last yr. She was on vacation! Dr who did my hysterectomy was covering and took over.

7/5/13 I was brought into the operating room to remove overy and surgeon used Di Vinci and COULDn"T find the infected ovary. Thinks it is behind the rectosimoid colon in the retroperitoneal area. Not able to visualize.

Closed me up... said nothing more needed to be done. Since then the ovary is growing weekly, larger and is now septated.

MAssGeneral wants to do Lupron rather than surgery. Lupron made me hemmorage PRE-HYSTERECTOMY. My PCP says I could have the same reaction in an ogran, no one could get to.

Surgoens around here are passing me like a hot potato. All saying TOO HIGH RISK!

I am in so much pain. I have MRI in 48 hours and was told to BED REST until then and meet with PCP on Friday morning to form a plan.

If I end up have a twisted ovary, no one around here can help! I am a walking time bomb! HELP!

I have all my imaging and surgical reports...
PT said maybe go to local ER and tell them I am waiting for MRI, they might do sooner. Pain is keeping me isolated.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: SCREAMING for help! (L Ovary Mystery)

Wow, you've been through a lot! You must have had an ovarian remnant. The ovaries can move after hysterectomy so I guess that's why the daVinci couldn't find your ovary. Or I wonder if some cells from the ovary were spilled into your pelvis during the surgical removal explaining the ovary's current placement and its regeneration (the ovaries can regenerate sort of like the liver).

It would seem that a skilled surgeon could get to your ovary and remove it. Are they saying you're high risk because they're concerned about the near proximity to your colon and they might nick it?

I hope you're being strict about the bed rest and hope you can hold out until they do the MRI and decide how to proceed. Let us know what you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
(female)

ParadoxicalLife HB User

I have had an extensive surgical history. 18 surgeries/ gone under .

They are claiming that it is NOT a remnant, since my FSH level is 8.9pg/mL (Post-menopausal?!)
They were calling it a remnant, till it had blood flow (both ways), follicle area with measurments, septated cysts inside measuring a large portion of the ovary itself.
3.4cm x 2.7cm x 3.2cm with septated cyst measuring inside the ovary 2.4cm x 1.7cm.

Surgical report states:

"NO obvious pelvic masses or adnexal mass was seen. Lysised L colon from some of the left pelvic sidewall & rectosigmoid from the vaginal cuff, it was deciced that the risks of further dissection, were greater than the potential benefits to this patient of continuing to find mass seen on imaging. If there is a mass it is in all likelihood retroperitoneal behind the left colon and this surgery very well may require a colectomy or substantial bowel resection and retroperitoneal dissection, which is believed to carry excessive risks. For this reason decision was made to proceed to close. NO PATHOLOGY. NO FOLLOW UP REQUIRED. "

WHat "team" of Dr.'s should I be consulting?

MRI in less than 48 hours.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
(female)

ParadoxicalLife HB User
Unhappy Re: SCREAMING for help! (L Ovary Mystery)

According to imaging...

The Left ovary has grown 1.2cm x 1.1cm x 1.4cm in 30 days.

Follicular area 30 days ago measured: 1cm x .6cm x 1cm

Ovary has both Arterial and venous blood flow.

Last edited by ParadoxicalLife; 07-30-2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added info

Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

So did you have endometriosis since you've had so many surgeries? I recall a woman saying that ovarian cells were found in her colon. So ovarian cells can be present elsewhere in the pelvis. Or did that surgeon really not remove your left ovary last year?? I'm not sure I understand how the FSH level tells them anything. Ovaries still produce some hormones after menopause, but more testosterone than estrogen.

Hopefully, the MRI will give them more specifics. But if a bowel resection is needed, that typically would be done by a colorectal surgeon.

Probably one of the big concerns is that you likely have a lot of adhesions from all those surgeries.

The following user gives a hug of support to STLouisgal:
ParadoxicalLife (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
(female)

ParadoxicalLife HB User
Lightbulb Re: SCREAMING for help! (L Ovary Mystery)

How this could be an ovary... FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND FULLY FERTILE...
Last August when this ovary was removed via emergency laprascopy..

Quote:
Pathology report stated that in the GROSS DESCRIPTION:

Formalin: Left tube and ovary: 15 gram aggregate of irregular hemorrhagic tissue fragments 8 cm x 3.5 cm x 1.5 cm. It is not grossly recognizable as ovary and fallopian tube. Sectioning reveals hemorrhagic tissue. Representative (1A - 1F).

Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
(female)

ParadoxicalLife HB User
Angry Re: SCREAMING for help! (L Ovary Mystery)

Questionable ovary even after complete hysterectomy. Pelvic mass is septated and shows hemerohagic fluid and could not be found by gyn surgeon 7/5/13 and MRI since surgery shows septated mass has grown and is located "bowel loop sigmoid colon middle 3rd posterior and just inferior to the left external iliac vascular bundle"

WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS ALL MEAN?

I have heard everything from;

-Ovary (? How I have no idea, it was removed under emergency circumstances last August, weighing 15 GRAMS!)
- Lymphocele.
-Seroma.
- Pelvic Cancer.
- Endometrioma

and other things I can't recall off the top of my head.

My primary care fired me today because the surgeon wrote a pain management script for the surgery in July and I guess that violated some contract I signed as a new patient three years ago. (Although I had surgeries in the past 3 years while under medical office's care and I had not been held to the same standard then, for pain management required.) So this leaves me having to swim through this mess I am left dealing with.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't have any more thoughts on the ovary mystery. However, it sounds ludicrous that your primary care doctor fired you. It would seem to be standard for a surgeon to prescribe pain meds. Maybe this is a case of "good riddance?" Hope you can find a more proactive and compassionate primary care doctor (and surgeon for that matter).

Reply Reply