It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 33
Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Hello,

I'm a 40-something year old male. Nearly three years ago I got sick with a terrible case of the flu and immediately after developed some kind of autoimmune disease. I have had many symptoms since then: fatigue, joint pain, pins and needles feelings, acid reflux, digestive problems, heart palpitations, cold hands and feet, skin that "dents" in more than it used to and gets red and irritated easily, swallowing discomfort, overall cold sensitivity, and a bunch of other things I cannot even remember right now.

I have obvious signs of inflammation in my body yet my stupid blood tests are always normal. I have individual diagnoses of: raynauds in hands and feet, supraventricular tachycardia, irritable bowel and acid reflux. Anyway, getting to my question - about 5 or 6 weeks ago I suddenly developed tender lymph nodes throughout my body. I have them everywhere it seems - in my groin, my underarms, behind my knees, the sides of my abdomen and above my buttocks. Some of them are somewhat enlarged too but the main problem is the pain. I have been so concerned about some kind of cancer (like leukemia) but so far my blood tests are fine. Could the lymph nodes be related to my autoimmune disease? Is there anyone else out there who has had lymph node pain or swewlling as part of their autoimmune disease?
I'd really appreciate hearing from you if you can relate to any of this.

Thanks....Mr. Strangeheart.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 02-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 136
bigheadache HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Strangeheart
Hello,

I'm a 40-something year old male. Nearly three years ago I got sick with a terrible case of the flu and immediately after developed some kind of autoimmune disease. I have had many symptoms since then: fatigue, joint pain, pins and needles feelings, acid reflux, digestive problems, heart palpitations, cold hands and feet, skin that "dents" in more than it used to and gets red and irritated easily, swallowing discomfort, overall cold sensitivity, and a bunch of other things I cannot even remember right now.

I have obvious signs of inflammation in my body yet my stupid blood tests are always normal. I have individual diagnoses of: raynauds in hands and feet, supraventricular tachycardia, irritable bowel and acid reflux. Anyway, getting to my question - about 5 or 6 weeks ago I suddenly developed tender lymph nodes throughout my body. I have them everywhere it seems - in my groin, my underarms, behind my knees, the sides of my abdomen and above my buttocks. Some of them are somewhat enlarged too but the main problem is the pain. I have been so concerned about some kind of cancer (like leukemia) but so far my blood tests are fine. Could the lymph nodes be related to my autoimmune disease? Is there anyone else out there who has had lymph node pain or swewlling as part of their autoimmune disease?
I'd really appreciate hearing from you if you can relate to any of this.

Thanks....Mr. Strangeheart.
I'm not sure if I have an autoimmune disease for sure, but everyone on my fathers side of the family has an autoimmune disease. Also I have MANY MANY symptoms of an autoimmune disease. My glads are also tender as yours are. The one lymph node under my left ear is so big and lumpy I thought it might be cancerous but the my Dr. ensured me it is not. He also said it would go away with some antibiotics but the lumps still there.

 
Old 02-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 33
Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Hi Bigheadache,

Thanks for responding to my message. So, other than the one enlarged gland, do you have others elsewhere that are tender? If you don't mind me asking could you tell me in what other areas of your body you notice them? I have found quite a few people that will have nodes in one part of their body that bother them but with me they seem so widespread - that is what has me concerned.

Thanks.

 
Old 02-07-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 136
bigheadache HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Strangeheart
Hi Bigheadache,

Thanks for responding to my message. So, other than the one enlarged gland, do you have others elsewhere that are tender? If you don't mind me asking could you tell me in what other areas of your body you notice them? I have found quite a few people that will have nodes in one part of their body that bother them but with me they seem so widespread - that is what has me concerned.

Thanks.
Behind my knee's, just above my groin, under my arms under my chin and under my ears.

 
Old 02-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 33
Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Hi again,

Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one. How long do the node problems last for you? Mine have been going on now for six weeks and show no signs of letting up. Some days are better and some are worse but they are always there.

Maybe you posted this information before but what other symptoms do you have?

-Strangeheart

 
Old 02-07-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 136
bigheadache HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Strangeheart
Hi again,

Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one. How long do the node problems last for you? Mine have been going on now for six weeks and show no signs of letting up. Some days are better and some are worse but they are always there.

Maybe you posted this information before but what other symptoms do you have?

-Strangeheart
Ive been sick for six years. you cvan search my name and see my latest posts. I have many symptoms.

 
Old 02-07-2004, 04:19 PM   #7
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rockville, IN USA
Posts: 44
b51kitty HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadache
I'm not sure if I have an autoimmune disease for sure, but everyone on my fathers side of the family has an autoimmune disease. Also I have MANY MANY symptoms of an autoimmune disease. My glads are also tender as yours are. The one lymph node under my left ear is so big and lumpy I thought it might be cancerous but the my Dr. ensured me it is not. He also said it would go away with some antibiotics but the lumps still there.

I had the flu back in Nov. but can't shake the soreness in the back lower part of my head. I believe it is glands and now it has moved down into my neck. I wake up every morning with a stiff neck and have to be very careful on how I am turning my head cause of the pain. I have never experienced anything like this before. Don't really know if it is glands..or what. I thought maybe it was a sinus thing so Dr. came me pills for that. Still there. I had the same type of super sharp pain in my back about 3 wks ago,in my right buttock area but under waist. I finally got tired of screaming as it was painful to lay or move in bed, so went to emergency room. There they discovered I had gallstones so that was removed. Pain is still slightly there but the one in my neck/head is the worse right now. Been putting hot pads and laying in hot water to help. will this ever go away? thinking of going back to Dr. next week.

 
Old 02-09-2004, 01:53 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 17
angel30 HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

I thought I'm the only one on the planet with this unexplainable disease. Also mine started with a flu, exactly one year ago and since then all my life is ruined. Continuous low grade fever, brain fog, pains all around my body, swollen lymph nodes all around my body. Did hundreds of tests, but nothing came up. First there was an increased with cell count, so they thought it might be some sort of infection. After one year of tests, they told me that they have no idea what this could be. The last blood test came back normal but still running the fever, so they decided to make a biopsy to the lymph nodes and again nothing. I was also tested for Epstein Barr and they told me that I had it once but now its not there anymore. Their conclusion was that I'm crazy and I'm imagining it. Nice, isn't it? I'm totally confused and feeling miserable. Sorry for being so low, just wanted to tell you that swollen lymph nodes donít mean cancer. Wish you all the best. Angel

 
Old 02-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 136
bigheadache HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel30
I thought I'm the only one on the planet with this unexplainable disease. Also mine started with a flu, exactly one year ago and since then all my life is ruined. Continuous low grade fever, brain fog, pains all around my body, swollen lymph nodes all around my body. Did hundreds of tests, but nothing came up. First there was an increased with cell count, so they thought it might be some sort of infection. After one year of tests, they told me that they have no idea what this could be. The last blood test came back normal but still running the fever, so they decided to make a biopsy to the lymph nodes and again nothing. I was also tested for Epstein Barr and they told me that I had it once but now its not there anymore. Their conclusion was that I'm crazy and I'm imagining it. Nice, isn't it? I'm totally confused and feeling miserable. Sorry for being so low, just wanted to tell you that swollen lymph nodes donít mean cancer. Wish you all the best. Angel
Have you had your ANA tested? I just had mine tested and it came back positive. This means I have an auto immune disease and will be refered to a rheumotologist.

 
Old 02-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #10
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
WazRexxx HB User
Question Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

I feel like it is me talking. I have had the same symptoms for 2 years, all tests norm. low norm WBC and high norm Lymph as if I was batteling a viral infection. I keep thinking it is lymphoma, and Dr says no. Symptoms are as follows: Weight loss 20 lbs over last 2 years, pain in lymph nodes, low temp 96 to 97, blurry right eye, hair thinned, tired all the time. IBS, constant burping, and I am sure I have not remembered all of them. I have had abd ct scan, lots of blood work lots of chest and stomach x-rays ect. I am a 30 y.o. male, and can not take it any more, Please Help. I am tired of people saying it is in my head. Its Not.
Rexxx

 
Old 02-10-2004, 07:16 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 33
Mr. Strangeheart HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Thanks all of you for your responses to my question. It helps so much to know there are other people out there with similar problems.

My heart goes out to all of you who, like me, are undiagnosed but suffering from suspected or probable autoimmune disease. The disease itself is enough of a burden. Then you add the mental burden of not having a "name" for your illness or recognition for your illness and it is even worse. Thank goodness for the ability to talk to each other via the internet.

-Strangeheart.

 
Old 02-11-2004, 07:13 PM   #12
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5
WazRexxx HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Yeah, too bad we can not find out what the hell it is that 's ruining our lives !!!

Last edited by WazRexxx; 02-11-2004 at 07:13 PM.

 
Old 04-04-2004, 03:16 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1
Agnes Martin HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Hi Mr. Strangeheart,

When I read your symptoms I relized that they much very much like mine. However, I did not see the connection between the horrible flu I had at the beginning of the year with what my second-opinion-doctor considers to be some kind of an autoimmune disease until I read your message.

I have also swollen lymph nodes, and here comes my question to you: did you try to improve your diet as a result of your symptoms, are you taking any supplements/alternative medications. Because a lot of my symptoms came up when I changed my diet around by 180 degrees to the healthy one including lots of veggies and raw things. I only have my symptoms for the last three weeks so I am hoping the body is fighting something real and not itself. As a matter of fact I found a doctor in California on line that suspects that our body is fighting hidden virus/bacteria/mycoplasma and not itself. He had some success trying to get rid of microbes in the body, what in turn caused the remission of symptoms.

Do you also mesure your fever? Does any low grade fever accompany your swollen lymphs? I have it constantly, it never goes back to normal anymore.

I would appreciate your answer.

Agnes

 
Old 04-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 69
Kristine1976 HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

I too have developed symptoms neurological in nature after a bout of the stomach flu and that was last Oct and they have not subsided and they have even gotten worse. At first my dr. suspected a viral infection, but since my symptoms took a vacation for approx. 6 weeks and then returned, only much more pronounced, he is perplexed as to what it is. 2 days after the stomach flu, I had muscle weakness/stiffness, tremors, muscle twitching/spasms, pins and needles, dizziness, stomach problems and the list goes on. I had a normal MRI, nerve conduction test and normal blood work thus far, but all my blood work was "non-specific" really. I posted a message in the MS forum asking is MS presents itself acutely or gradually because I feel that my acute onset of symptoms is key to an accurate dx but no one responded. It's nice to know others have also suffered the same fate...lol
I also have pain in my lymph nodes from time to time, especially in my neck.
My dr. thinks I'm a hypochondriac and won't take me seriously.
They keep insisting I need to be on an anti-depressant, grrrr! as if I am being neurotic about my symptoms and I think it is a completly normal and human reaction to be concerned about ones health especially when there is something wrong, you know what I mean!
It seems like most of us are in limbo land and will be for quite some time and we will just have to be patient and know that even if our illness never receives an official name, we still have to find a way to cope with it because the mental battle is much more difficult and important than the physical battle. Good luck!!!!
~~~ Kristine
"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us are tiny in comparison to what lies within us." - - Ralph Waldo Emerson

 
Old 04-17-2004, 08:53 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,450
LuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB UserLuvMyLilDoggie HB User
Re: Lymph Nodes and Autoimmune Disease?

Just curious, have any of you been tested for thyroid disease? I read all your posts and just about all the symptoms you've all listed are symptoms of thyroid disease. Most thyroid disorders are as a result of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto's Disease in hypothyroid people and Graves Disease in hyperthyroid people. A consistent low grade fever is caused by a slowing down of the metabolism. The metabolism is directly affected by the thyroid. Every part of the body is either directly or indirectly affected by the thyroid gland. I have hypothyroidism and have experienced many of the symptoms you all have described at one point or another.
Please, if you haven't been checked, get checked. Visit the thyroid disorders board. Lots of good information there.
Barb
__________________
Live, Love, Laugh.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
lymph nodes everywhere waycoo General Health 2 02-14-2009 08:01 PM
swollen lymph nodes for 9 mos-anyone else for this long? littleflower70 Lupus 5 10-08-2008 07:16 PM
If lymph nodes are + after RP: hormonal therapy as a sound tactic IADT3since2000 Cancer: Prostate 0 02-04-2008 09:17 AM
Don't know whether to go for a lymph node biopsy... innocence Lymphomas 36 02-03-2008 07:09 PM
Enlarged Neck Lymph Nodes - Cancer? - Please Reply chrislenblue Lymphomas 3 01-24-2008 03:16 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



cvidmama (12), kelli1b (4), markincleveland (3), ladybud (3), ltmccarty (2), SK59 (2), AngelicBrat (2), luca689 (2), sugzey$ (1), nannoo (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (896), Titchou (832), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (757), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!