It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #1

dieter26 HB User
Question Always sick, canker sores, muscle pain & headaches

For the past 6 months I have been sick most of the time, first starting with consistent headaches, always tired, irritable, now over the last month I though I was just getting a normal cold with a sore throat, tender lymph nodes, ear ache, headaches and many mouth ulcers. This has been ongoing now and it has been a month and now I am getting muscle pain all over my body to the point it hurts my legs to walk or move too much. I am worried mostly because it feels like my a virus or something has taken over my whole body and everything hurts. The mouth ulcers are also horrible and are not going away, I am on antibiotics and not feeling any better. I am wondering if I have a disease or a major illness or what? I am only 27 and have been in good health most of my life. I got a CAT scan and nothing was found wrong for the headaches. I am worried. Does anyone know what I should do or do these symptoms sound like anything in particular? Please help

Old 04-24-2004, 12:44 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Re: Always sick, canker sores, muscle pain & headaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter26
For the past 6 months I have been sick most of the time, first starting with consistent headaches, always tired, irritable, now over the last month I though I was just getting a normal cold with a sore throat, tender lymph nodes, ear ache, headaches and many mouth ulcers. This has been ongoing now and it has been a month and now I am getting muscle pain all over my body to the point it hurts my legs to walk or move too much. I am worried mostly because it feels like my a virus or something has taken over my whole body and everything hurts. The mouth ulcers are also horrible and are not going away, I am on antibiotics and not feeling any better. I am wondering if I have a disease or a major illness or what? I am only 27 and have been in good health most of my life. I got a CAT scan and nothing was found wrong for the headaches. I am worried. Does anyone know what I should do or do these symptoms sound like anything in particular? Please help
Do research on CFIDS and check out the CFIDS Foundation home page. The symptoms you describe fit the diagnosis. For mouth ulcers (definitely a symptom of CFIDS) see if you can get a prescription for Kenalog. It works. Antibiotics will do nothing for this (if you determine this is what you have), except possibly make you feel sicker.

All the best,

Peregrine

Last edited by peregrine; 04-24-2004 at 12:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
Inactive

catbirdpondlady HB User

I agree that CFIDS is a good guess. Many of your symptoms fit that description. They also fit the scenario for many other of the immune deficiency diagnoses. A lingering or sub-clinical infection can cause the fatigue, headaches, muscle aches, etc. And the oral lesions are not uncommon in any of the immune deficiency syndroms. Antibiotics can contibute to the worsening of the lesions also. Your doc can gently scrape the sores and look at the findings under a microscope.....depending upon what he finds, he can then treat that problem effectively. Blood tests checking out your immune function, skin tests checking your reactions to a variety of immunizations that you have had, and a complete history of your health as well as that of your parents could also be very helpful.
Remember, you are your own best advocate. Keep after the medical profession till they help you out.
I'm sending good thoughts your way!
Penny

Old 04-24-2004, 11:34 AM   #4

Aston HB User

I would look up candida & leaky gut on Google, & leave off dairy to get rid of those canker sores.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:23 PM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston
I would look up candida & leaky gut on Google, & leave off dairy to get rid of those canker sores.
Do you get canker sores or mouth ulcers? Usually people get one or the other and they are different. Mouth ulcers appear on the inside and usually accompany immune disorders such as Lupus and CFIDS. Canker sores, I believe, are largely attributed to a Herpes Simplex virus and are mostly on the outside.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:47 AM   #6

ker1079 HB User

No canker sores and mouth ulcers are the same, and on the inside of the mouth.
cold sores are the herpes virus on the outside

Old 04-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #7
Inactive

catbirdpondlady HB User
Exclamation Re: Always sick, canker sores, muscle pain & headaches

Oooh, KS, that was a confusing post. I'm not sure I read it right, but...... Herpes lesions can occur on the inside and the outside of the mouth (and other places!), but not all mouth lesions, inside or outside, are caused by the herpes virus. For instance, the mouth ulcers (or lesions or sores--whatever you want to call them) that you get after taking some antibiotics are usually yeast infections. Some people who get strep throat also get strep mouth lesions. Some people with immune deficiencies get fungal mouth infections. I think the problem here is in terminology. Canker sores, cold sores, fever blisters, sore mouth....all are terms that people use for a variety of problems. Unless you have had the sore diagnosed by a doctor, it is really hard to know what it is. And sometimes that diagnosis is a clue to the doctor about the underlying disease process going on, ie; immune problems, diabetes, etc. Of course once you have had it diagnosed & treated, and then it comes back later on down the line, then you know what you have.
Penny

Old 05-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #8

dieter26 HB User
Unhappy Re: Always sick, canker sores, muscle pain & headaches

Hello I am back a week later and I have had a culture of the mouth ulcers and they found "mixed bacteria" I have had a blood test, a total blood count, HIV test, they did my metabolic chart, ANA and EVERYTHING was normal.....? They gave me magic mouthwash for the sores and thats it. Nothing about anything. They basically told me everything was fine with my blood and never explained what the mixed bacteria was from etc..... I am still not feeling as well as I should, the sores have cleared up mostly there is only one left, but my muscles, lymph nodes and neck are all sore still and body aches. Any insight would help.... Thanks

Last edited by dieter26; 05-01-2004 at 09:47 AM.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:17 PM   #9
Inactive

catbirdpondlady HB User

I know how frustrated that you must feel. But don't give up! Start with a few basics.
Are you eating a well balanced diet in appropriate portions? Is you wt. within normal limits. Are you getting 6-8 hrs of sleep at night? Do you drink 8-10 glasses of water a day? Do you do any kind of exercise? You know, all the regular things that they tell us to do. If you come up short, try to correct any of those things. That is not going to "fix everything", but it will give your body a fighting chance. Are you depressed? I know that I was, and I did get some help with that. Didn't help my MS or CVIDS, but it did help me cope with them.
Secondly, go back to the doc (or find another doc). It sounds like the doc did some appropriate tests........ask for copies (that is your right), so you know EXACTLY what blood tests he did. The HIV test is for acquired immune deficiency, it has nothing to do with genetic immunodeficiency. There are numerous tests that need to be done to diagnose the genetic kind. If your lymph nodes are still swollen, point that out to him. Tell him about your muscle aches. Just because he got some "normal" lab results, doesn't mean that he should stop there. Inform yourself. Ask questions. Sometimes it is helpful to make a list of questions to take with you to your appointment....then make sure he takes time to answer them. If he doesn't, find a doctor that will.
As for the "mixed bacteria", that is what everyone has in their mouths. Ask him why it happened to cause you a problem. By the way, what was the name of the magic mouthwash that he gave you?
Lastly, it is a good idea to keep a journal. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but just a place where you can write down how you are feeling on a given day. Also you can keep track of your doctor visits, test results, medications, what worked and what didn't. Take that with you to your appointments and refer to it when talking to the doc. I found it very helpful when I changed docs (and I did that several times till I finally found someone who would listen to me and finally do the tests to diagnose me correctly).
I know that all of this isn't easy. It was hard for me and I was an RN for all of my life. I can only imagine what it is like for someone not "hooked up" with the medical profession!
Keep posting, and let us know how things go. I am sending lots of good thoughts your way!
Penny

Old 05-09-2004, 02:32 PM   #10

TheGrandMart HB User

I'm a 20 year old guy and I have this exact same problem, it's ongoing for 8 months now, my lymphnodes swell on and off salavary glands as well, joint pain, muscle pain, is pretty much every day, I had horrible amounts of sores in my mouth up to four at a time, sore throat, and fatigue sometimes suddenly, sever head aches as well lasting days. I've gotten tests for HIV, STDs, thyroid, parathyroid problems, lupus, diabetes, all kinds of other stuff, I've been to two doctors and have no answers, this stuff ain't great ehh?

Last edited by TheGrandMart; 05-09-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Old 05-10-2004, 09:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

I would find a rheumatologist. Some auto immune diseases, such as Lupus never show up in blood (for some people) and are diagnosed solely through symptoms.

Old 06-04-2004, 08:47 AM   #12

mipps HB User

Hi

Have you been tested also for pernious anemia? The PA started with canker sores (fungal tablets cleared this up), terrible muscle pain and fatigue etc.

A complete blood count would should show any sign of anemia.

Good luck

Old 07-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #13

xjadedxgracex HB User

im 18 years old, ive been suffering through these symptoms and more for 3 and a half years now...

no explanation from any of the doctors ive seen, i was told it resembled lupus...but my doctor ran my ana, is came ack negative so he decided not to persue it farther. ive basically been told "its all in my head" and "to learn ways to manage stress as a way to deal with the constant pain"....

good to know you arent alone

Old 07-25-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
Inactive

catbirdpondlady HB User
Exclamation Re: Always sick, canker sores, muscle pain & headaches

OK, let's be realistic. Our mental state DOES effect our physical bodies, ie: Stress/depression/anxiety, etc CAN make us sick(er). However, many of us are stressed, etc., BECAUSE OF the state of our physical being.
I went round and round with doc's for years.....they even had ME CONVINCED that I had manic depression (bipolar disorder). It took a young intern with a fresh outlook to finally diagnose the MS, and later a very dedicated oncologist/hematologist to diagnose the CVIDS. And now, with the appropriate treatments I am feeling the best that I have in years. Yes, the MS is progressing, and the CVIDS will never be cured, but I am getting some of the appropriate treatments.
SOOO, come on you guys, keep after the docs. Advocate for yourself. Don't be "brushed off". Get the answers that you need and and deserve. Change doctors if necessary. It really is all up to you. It's your body and very life that is at stake. The doctors will not come after you.....you have to do your level best to get them to meet you half way.
I'm sending positive thoughts of empowerment your way!
Love, Penny

Old 07-31-2004, 05:02 PM   #15

bontok12 HB User

I got the same exact sysmptomes, Same every bit of it. Dam ... I am suffering too, do you know how you can treat it

My was after a exposure to a call girl.. Did you have any exposure

Closed Thread