It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #1

lookin2bfree HB User
Question IgM question

I've been feeling really bad for several years now and I've been suspecting hypothyroidism even though tests come back "normal" (according to doctors and old ranges). I've posted on the Thyroid Disorders board as well. As I was looking back through some of my blood tests I was wondering about results. In 1999 (the same year I was told I was entering premature menopause at the age of 39) my immunoglobulin levels were tested. IgG was borderline low - 334 with 341-1296 being normal. IgA was within normal range. The IgM was definitely low - 7.4 with 57-332 being normal. I kind of remember having to take an antihistimine a couple of days before that due to an allergic reaction to iodine contrast I had to ingest for a test. I haven't had any tests of this nature since then. Could the IgM level be a result of the antihistimine? If not, what could this result mean? Is there any link between this sort of deficiency and hypothyroidism. I have felt so bad for so long that I am afraid that I might be grasping at straws. But I have decided I will not give up until I get to the bottom of this. Life is too short to live feeling like something someone would scrape off the bottom of their shoe! Thanks!

Old 10-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #2

charleyhorse HB User
Re: IgM question

I'm no expert on this but your test results do look like something is amiss with your immune system. There is an organization called the Immune Deficiency Foundation. They have a lot of online resources and even phone numbers for real live people who will answer questions. I would really suggest giving them a try. I hope you get some good answers soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2004, 10:49 AM   #3

charleyhorse HB User

Greg - you seem very knowledgeable about immune systems so I'm wondering if you could explain for me how someone can have an immune deficiency and auto-immune condtions at the same time. I have hypogammaglobulinemia so my IgG levels are very low and my IgA a little low. But I also have some auto-immune conditions, pernicous anemia and some sort of connective tissue disorder we're still working out - which should make my levels go up I would think. I also have a lot of allergies and asthma. I am rather confused about this. My dr is great but has never had a patient with these conditions so he sort of shrugs off questions he can't answer - and my immunologist is a long ways away so I only see him once a year. sorry to ramble, you just got me wondering out loud about these things.
thanks

Old 10-24-2004, 04:51 PM   #4

charleyhorse HB User

Thanks Greg - actually that does help a lot. Maybe I can get a new immune system for Christmas I appreciate your help.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Are the immunoglobulin levels tested when a person gets a complete blood count done?

Old 11-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #6
(female)

mome22 HB User

No, during a complete blood count there is no immunoglobulins checked. That is another test. My son has IgG subclass deficiency. They did a test called ELISA and also check his IgG subclasses. Sometimes the IgG level can be normal but the subclasses are abnormal. I am still learning at this but hope I helped a bit!

Old 11-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #7

charleyhorse HB User

My diagnosis came after a blood test for Quantitative Immunoglobulins and IgG subclasses. The tests might have different names in other areas. Its not something that drs look for automatically so you might need to suggest it.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #8
Inactive

whatamIdoing HB User

As there is a lot of natural variability in the immune system's responses, a single test may not be your best diagnostic tool, because "today" might be a weird day. If the levels are persistently low, then it might be worth looking into.

On the other hand, the thyroid problems sound more likely to be the cause of your symptoms.

Closed Thread