It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #1

bontok12 HB User
Question Question about Immunoglobin (Low Immune System) Please help

I have a question for everyone.. I am suffering from so much of symptomes and it seems like my immune system is going down.

About 6 months ago I did my Immunoglobin test and came back normal and last week I did one , it came back normal but the value was low..

The value have decrease, does that mean I have HIV or any type of immune defiency ???

Please help.. I am suffering alot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #2

charleyhorse HB User
Re: Question about Immunoglobin (Low Immune System) Please help

Hi there .... I am not a dr so I am really just speculating here, but from what I have read it seems that everyone's immune system goes through 'highs' and 'lows.' A low normal test result isn't alarming, but if you are concerned that the numbers are continuing to drop I would suggest asking your dr to test you again in another six months. That should give you a pretty good picture of what's happening. Lots of things can cause a relatively normal immune system to go into a slump - repeated infections of any kind, long term stress - things like that. Its good that your dr is keeping on eye on your immune system. If you do have an immune disorder there are lots of possibilities besides hiv - some of the primary immune diseases don't show up until adulthood. Hope you are feeling better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2004, 09:03 PM   #3

kate kate HB User
Unhappy Re: Question about Immunoglobin (Low Immune System) Please help

Hello
I also get sick a lot and my IgG1 is slightly, but not significantly low, 3.9
I had viral meningitis 2 1/2 years ago. Since then I have had frequent viruses that take me weeks to recover from. I get tonsellitis, general sore throats, chest infections, sore ears, colds, nausea, tiredness, and hot sweats. I have just spent the last 4 weeks in bed with such things. Sometimes I just get nausea and triedness for a couple of hours and then it goes away, and sometimes I get it for weeks and it is totally debilitating. I also get reflux. I used to take losec for this, but an alternative doctor I go to thinks that this is stopping me digesting my food properly. No doctors know what's wrong and I'm feeling desparate! I have no sick leave left and I have to keep putting my goals on hold. I really struggle not to collapse into a depressed heap when I get sick yet again.
Regards
Kate

Old 11-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

Kate,
Have you tried other anti nausea meds? there are other ones out there. Zofran is the best, it's very expensive though. I get NO side effects from it. Reglan can bother the stomach also. The other one I have is phenergan. THis one can also cause tiredness. I hope you start to feel better, TIna

Old 11-25-2004, 10:18 PM   #5

kate kate HB User

Hi
thanks for your reply. I've tried maxalon and antinaus, but neither worked. I went to a doctor who said if these didn't work nothing else would. I'll go to another one and ask about Zofran. Do you have to keep taking them, or just when you're feeling sick?
Thanks
Kate

Last edited by kate kate; 11-26-2004 at 12:00 AM.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
(female)

larpoll HB User
Smile Re: Question about Immunoglobin (Low Immune System) Please help

Hi - I have had immune deficiency for some time.
IGg1 and IGg 3 are a problem. Many people can have an IGg1 deficiency and not know it - it is quite common and is often an idicator that you have been recently sick.

I had Ross River Fever about 10 years and I don't think I ever fully recovered from it. I get every bug that goes around and seem to go from one virus to another. An immunologist treated me for 2 years with regular treatment of Intragram (human immunoglobulin) which helped a bit but didn't fix the problem. I ended up with vasculitis which the doctors think was caused by an allergic reaction to the intragram. The treatment was ceased. I now see a different immunologist and only take high doses of antihistamine for my allergies.

They say that Vitamin E 500iu per day helps with the immune system. I did try it but can't say it helped.

I know a lot of other people who have similar symptoms but different diagnoses....such as post viral fatigue, chronic fatigue Syndrome.

Personally I think stress plays a big part. I suffer from PTSD but I had immune problems before I developed it.

If you are stressed a lot of the time, emotionally or physically it can not but affect you. There are high levels of cortisol involved (which I'm told can damage your brain). If you are stressed and not sleeping it is a vicious cycle...lack of sleep or sleep deprivation reduces your bodies time to heal itself. If you are run down diet is so important - lots of fresh vegies and fruit - don't rely on vitamin tablets as a lot is synthetically produced. You can't beat real fruit and vegies.

There are no easy solutions. I'm still plagued with bugs etc...but one thing I finally realised...the more I keep away from doctors the less sick I become. Whenever I go to the doctor I am sitting in a waiting room full of people with every bug under the sun - with a lowered immune system I'm a sitting duck just asking for trouble.

It's only when you get sick and don't fit into the neat little boxes, that you realise how little medical science knows about the human body. If you don't fit then your symptoms are ignored. I remember for many years that Chronic Fatigue or ME as it was known initially was dismissed as psychosomatic....it wasn't until the doctors started getting it that it became a "real" disease.

I'm probably rambling now...I can talk for hours lol

Don't let them give you immunoglobulin unless you really need it. I've been told that for one treatment it takes 750 blood donations. They can only screen for the virus' they know about. My immunologist told me that it is now believed prions can survive the treatment process and be present in Intragram (human immunoglobulin)...prions have been associated with BCF and mad cow disease. Frightening!!!!

If I start mooing please shoot me! Just kidding - my weird sense of humour.

Closed Thread