It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
(female)

amandabowler HB User
Question No Fevers

I'm just trying to find out if there's anyone else out there who doesn't run a fever when they're sick. I recently had bronchitis but am doing much better now, and tend to contract it at least once every winter. I thought I'd dodged it this year, but it caught up to me. Even though it's a bacterial infection, I have NEVER run a fever with it. I mean, this last time I had a temp for about an hour of 99.5, but that's all. Is there anyone who would have any idea why I don't run fevers? I've been tested for immune system diseases but it always comes up negative. I'm not "scared to death" or anything like that. It's just frustrating when you know you're sick because it's the same exact symptoms that you always have and you continue to get the same answer of, "It's just a cold. If you were running a fever I'd think it bronchitis, but you're not. Call me if you're not better in three days." And of course by then I can't even move I'm so sick. As you can imagine, this is VERY frustrating and it causes me to miss far more time from work that is really necessary. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
(male)

help0001 HB User
Re: No Fevers

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabowler
I'm just trying to find out if there's anyone else out there who doesn't run a fever when they're sick. I recently had bronchitis but am doing much better now, and tend to contract it at least once every winter. I thought I'd dodged it this year, but it caught up to me. Even though it's a bacterial infection, I have NEVER run a fever with it. I mean, this last time I had a temp for about an hour of 99.5, but that's all. Is there anyone who would have any idea why I don't run fevers? I've been tested for immune system diseases but it always comes up negative. I'm not "scared to death" or anything like that. It's just frustrating when you know you're sick because it's the same exact symptoms that you always have and you continue to get the same answer of, "It's just a cold. If you were running a fever I'd think it bronchitis, but you're not. Call me if you're not better in three days." And of course by then I can't even move I'm so sick. As you can imagine, this is VERY frustrating and it causes me to miss far more time from work that is really necessary. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Hi. I perfectly understand how you are feeling. Doctors are very cautious of saying openly that you have an immune disorder going on, regardless of a test being positive or negative. Just keep pushing for a diagnosis and tell them that you don't feel right and that you want answers. I know exactly what you are going through because i'm going through it now. All I hope is that you do manage to get well soon and get some answers.

Take care, and all the best with your health problems. I hope they get sorted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #3

charleyhorse HB User

Hi there ... I rarely run a fever either, even when I have pneumonia. This usually shocks the nice ER dr who orders the chest xray 'just in case' and finds pneumonia. I have been diagnosed with a primary immune deficiency so that explains my situation ... why you would have this lack of immune response I don't know but I agree with the previous post and would encourage you to push your dr for some answers. Keep in mind that 98.8 is an average. Some people run cooler normally so by the time they hit 99, they are sick. I think clinical symptoms should be more important than temperature.
Barb

Old 06-19-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
(female)

amandabowler HB User
Post Re: No Fevers

They've tested for immune disorders repeatedly and never find anything. So they just come back and say, "For unkown reasons, you have a suppressed immune system. Make sure you take in plenty of Vitamin C." I don't know...I'm fine now. As long as I don't get sick, it's not a problem. But I'm in the same boat as you, I have pneumonia before they'll give me an antibiotic, and then I'm a month getting well. I appreciate the feedback. It's just very frustrating.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Yep, me too, understand completlely!! I don't have a fever and my blood work appears fine? But I have a long list of "issues". I've bounced from dr to dr with no help. Just pile on the "meds" and I get sicker from them! As of today, sick, no appetite and chronic pain from a failed cervical fusion, giving up , stopped the meds and not sure what I am going to do?

Closed Thread