It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
(female)

lindlane HB User
Question ANA normalizing

I am new to this board and have some questions. I have hashimoto's and vitiligo along with a neuromuscular disease- a myopathy that has affexted my proximal muscles and respiratory muscles. I have had a positive ANA for at least 5-6 yrs. I had one drawn in MAy 2006 and it was > 1:640 speckled pattern. I saw a rheumatologist about 3 yrs ago who did all the lupus blood work and it was negative except for the ANA. The positive ANA has always been contributed to the hashimoto's and vitiligo. I saw a new internal medicine doctor last week and he repeated the ANA . The nurse called me and said it came back negative - <19 and normal was <99. She did not give a titer, etc. I was dumbfounded as it has been positive for so long. . I still have muscle and joint pain and stiffness. I don't know whether to just let it go and believe the lab or question it. I just wondered if this usually happens and what it means.
Thanks .

Linda

Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
(female)

mfife31 HB User
Re: ANA normalizing

My 10 yr old son has AIH and has had a positive ANA since last year. His blood tests in August show his ANA is now negative as well as his smooth muscle is barely above normal now too. I have read that many people say that when they arent having a flare or are in a remission that the titers can come back negative. I believe some docs do antibody tests as well as other labs depending on the illness to watch for flare ups.... hope that may help you some. Mfife31

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

lindlane HB User

Thanks for your response. So, when the ANA normalizes- it doesn't mean a autoimmune disease is no longer present, right? I know that sounds dumb but I am learning. There is a strong family history of autoimmune diseases and my aunt died of lupus.

Linda

Last edited by lindlane; 09-13-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
(female)

pelchatk HB User

Lindlane - How were you diagnosed with Hashimoto's? I have thyroid perox. antibodies, plus positive ana, and my DsDNA is 9 which is considered normal. I have put on 12 pounds since June and a total of 32 pounds in the last 2 years. I also have white spots growing on my arms and legs. I am in physical therapy 2X week for my joint and muscle pain, I take plaqunil, edotolac, and pain meds. Are you getting answers from your doctors? What meds are you on? Have you gained a lot of weigth? I used to be able to eat anything and not gain a pound, now I eat healthy, no fast food or fried food, and I blowing up! Arg!

Closed Thread