It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
(female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User
HELP-My 17-year old daughter is ANA+

My daughter started one week ago with severe knee pain. We went to an orthopedist who ran all sorts of blood work. We thought we were headed for an MRI but they called us and said to skip the MRI and scheduled us to see a Rheumotologist. She was ANA+ and her titer was speckled pattern 1:160 . What does this mean? She has had other symptoms over the past year that we have attributed to other things such as:

nausea/vomiting
diarrhea
fatigue
bladder infections(4-5 this past year)
skin problems
weight gain

Any ideas?

Last edited by DADDY'SLILGIRL; 08-07-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

mctassi HB User
Re: HELP-My 17-year old daughter is ANA+

Have you researched Lyme disease. You might be surprised what you find. 50% of people never get a bullseye rash. A lot of people never remember being bitten by a tick. There is a lot of great info on the lyme boards here. One poster, Ticker, knows a lot about it and posts a long list of symptoms. It's worth a look. I don't know where you live but lyme has been reported in all 50 states. good luck, mc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
(female)

yorkieloveroo7 HB User

hi, my 18 year old daughter had knee pain this year too so i took her to the doctor and they thought she had a tear but it came back normal with the mri, so then i took her to a gastranologist doctor because she has had severe diarhea for a year now, since her gallbladder was out and he ran a bunch of tests, and did a colonoscopy and endoscopy on her, she tested positive for smooth muscle 1:80 and she also tested positive for ANA at 1:320 which is high, she is always tired. what did you find out for your daughter. we are still waiting on a few results and the doc says i should take her to a rheumatologist, she is leaving in a week for college oh by the way her ultrasound was normal. thanks for anyones advice,

Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
(female)

italiungrl HB User

My son tested positive at borderline 1.40, he is a football QB a senior he had some joint issues but he plays foottball, he had a rash at the time, which is being treated whcih can be the cause anything to do with any kind of inflammation can cause the test to read + so many things can make a ANA positive, I have a slight thyroid condition and mine was 1.40 also.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
(female)

dammitwoman HB User

My Rheumetologist told me once that there is a high percentage of people w/o health issues that test positive on an ANA test. Has anyone ever mentioned Lupus to you? That test is more definative a double stranded anti-dna test is the gold standard for Lupus in my world....But a +ANA shouldn't be the endall for anyone....

Old 08-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
(female)

italiungrl HB User

not really, I dont think he has any symptoms to warrent lupus

Old 08-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
(female)

yorkieloveroo7 HB User

hi, my daughter's test came back for the alpha 1 antitrypsim and it is at 189 and the reference range is 40-179 should i be worried???

Old 08-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
(female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User

We went to the rheumotologsist who thinks she may have psoriatic arthritis. She gave her a shot of cortisone in her knee and placed her on prednisone. She still however; after 5 days of this med; she can't place any weight on her leg and its still swollen. I thought we would see some improvment by now. I called the Dr. and they are going to order an MRI.

Any thoughts?

Closed Thread