It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

*SoccerMom* HB User
Exclamation Vasculitis, Autoimmune Disorder and Blood Issues

My father has been very ill and hospitalized for over 4 weeks. (except for a 5 hour release almost a week ago---Aka: "Hospital Red Tape Stunt") They have tested him for everything known to man but his condition still worsenens. I posted on the blood disorder board but now that we have some test results, I think Immune Disorder board can help with some answers.

My 77 year old father has no appetite, EXTREME Weakness (will pass out and SAT rates drop drastically when he stands or sits up in the bed), low platelets (in the 50,000 range today), low red and white blood cells, fevers ranging from 101-103.5, low temperatures as low as 92.3, soaking night sweats, and fatigue.

The doctors did say that the Temperal Artery Biopsy shows that he has Vasculitis and that they know he has an Autoimmune Disorder. He has high (abnormal) liver readings and they are considering doing a liver biopsy today. They have been treating with Steroids (predinisone) for almost a week in hopes that there would be improvements but I see him getting weaker and symptoms getting worse by the day.

He has always been hard of hearing but it is getting worse. (Strange, I know!) He has developed a hacking cough, has bulging or glazed over eyes, becoming more and more unresponsive, sleeps all the time and his blood sugars have been uncontrollable in the high 300-400's (they think due to the steroids). The doctors say that they are now testing for some SERIOUSLY off the wall diseases because they have eliminated so many already.

I would appreciate any ideas of suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

Ramie7 HB User
Re: Vasculitis, Autoimmune Disorder and Blood Issues

I see you have no replies to your question. I hope your father is doing okay. And hopefully they have found out was is wrong with him by now.

I have a rare disease, which is vascultis, called Microscopic Polyangiitis. I don't what vasculitis you father has but I do know it is important to take high doses of prednisone and I was put on IV chemo for the first six months. This seems to stop the inflammation. And please don't worry too much, I am doing well now. But it's important to get treatment as soon as possible.

Here is good site on the various vascultis'

[url]http://vasculitis.med.jhu.edu/[/url]

Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

*SoccerMom* HB User

Hi Ramie,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately however, my father passed away on Jan 7, 2008.

On Jan 1, we were told that the Flow Cytometry results was that he had an extremely rare form of Lymphoma. The liver biopsy that was done on Dec 31 revealed that he had Intravascular Lymphoma. It all happened so amazingly quickly that I am not sure if I can believe it yet.

This form of lymphoma is called the "Oncologist's Imitator" because it sends them on "wild goose chases" with the results and symptoms happening so quickly all over his body.

I just hope that some of my posts on various boards will someday be able to help someone discover this horrible, viscious cancer early and perhaps the next patient will have a chance to fight it before it is too late.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
(female)

Ramie7 HB User

I am very, sorry to hear about your Dad.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
(female)

kath66 HB User

i have microscopic polyangitis and autoimune hepititis which made me very ill and wandered if anyone else has both together as worried about how it going to effect the rest of my life.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
(female)

Ramie7 HB User

Hi Kath,

You don't hear of many people having Microscopic Polyangiits, it is a vry rare diease. I got it in 2004 and it made me very, very ill. My lings were hemorraging and and was in Intensive Care for a week on life support.

But I am happy to say I am doing a lot better now. Although I do have to take some very nasty drugs to keep this way. It's the price you pay.

How long have you had MPA? It certainly will affect the rest of your life as there is no cure. But I believe you can lead a fairly normal life.

Take care

Closed Thread