It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

amberwalsch HB User
Do autoimmune disorders run in the family?

Hi there-
My dad has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and I am currently undergoing testing for Chrons disease. I know that Rheumatoid Arthritis can run in the family, and I know that Chrons disease can run in the family... but my question is ... can autoimmune disorders (different ones), so autoimmune disorders in general still have a tendency to run in the family?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

VA_girl HB User
Re: Do autoimmune disorders run in the family?

I am no expert on this for sure, but my mother's side of the family has MD and Celiac disease and thyroid problems. I believe all three of these things are autoimmune and passed down through genes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User

Yes, autoimmune diseases often run in families, especially, for some reason, arthritis and bowel issues. I just read an article on this, but I can't remember where. Also, I've heard of people developing type 1 diabetes due to parental thyroid problems. The odd thing is that autoimmune diseases require environmental triggers, so even if you have the genes for it you might not get the disease. I'm an identical twin, but my sister doesn't have any of the diseases I do.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

debbie363636 HB User

The answer to your question is absolutley yes! My husband side of the family looks like this:

Mother-Ulcerative colitis
My husband- ulcerative colitis, thyroid disease, currently being diagnosed with new condition of Wegener's, an extremely rare auto-imune disease
My husbands twin- diabetes
My son- thyroid disease
My daughter- lupus, sjogrens,rheumo arthritis, and raynaulds
His niece-chrons
His nephew-chrons
His neice- thyroid disease

And the list goes on. We don't know why but this suggest a strong genetic pre-dispostion. Sorry for the lousy news..................Debbie

Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

amberwalsch HB User

Hi there Debbie-
I am grateful for your response, but also very sorry to hear about your husband's side. I hope your family's health stays on the up-and-up.

You are in my prayers.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
(female)

kath74 HB User

Hi Amber

Positively yes on thyroid, especially Hashimoto. I have it and was the first to be diagnosed, this let to the doctors insisting that my problems were passed down. I pressed my mother, then in her late 50s, to be tested and the results were positive, this led to my sister, eight years younger, to be tested and positive again. Within the last 4 weeks my daughter (24), being very sick, being tested positive again. I also have a son in college graduating next month--- he will be tested within a short time to try to get a jump on any problems. I am sure about this disease. Will not speak so strongly on other diseases since my knowledge is incomplete. Best of luck with the research.

my best, Kath

Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #7
(female)

amberwalsch HB User

Wow Kath-
I guess that particular one really does run in the family. My hopes that your son will not have it, and that the rest of your family (yourself included) will have nothing but minimal complications, if anything at all. Thanks for your advice and help!

Warm wishes!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
(female)

glamkat74 HB User

Absolutely. My grandma had diabetes and thyroid disease. My uncle has thyroid issues, and I was diagnosed as hypothyroid last Oct. My pcp suspects it is due to Hashimoto's disease (also an autoimmune disease) but I do not yet have a conclusive diagnosis. However, my mom has a lot of immune system issues (mostly lung-related) and my aunt has an autoimmune skin condition so my point is that yes, autoimmune disease definitely runs in families.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
(female)

jen9803 HB User

From what others have said and the research I have done, both immune and autoimmune are inherited. My mom and dad both have thyroid issues and my daughter (she is 4 1/2) was recently diagnosed with Graves. We are also researching her recurrent lung infections.

Jennie

Closed Thread