It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

mitziart HB User
pain in and around joints

Last March I started to get pain and stiffness in my little, ring, and middle fingers on both hands to the point that I could not grip. Would come and go but worst at night. Then in April got pain in left shoulder and was in therapy for rotator cuff. Also developed pain in knees and thigh just above knees. Trouble going down stairs especially. Went to ER and Xrayed. Showed very little arthritis in knees. Got on Prednisone which turned the pain around in just a day, but as dose was tapered off pain got worse again. I've also developed pain in other shoulder so I think that that was not an injury but part and parcel of the larger problem.
Rhumatologist says it's some sort of auto immune disorder, but not specific as tp what. Blood levels to indicate RA were negative. Lyme also negative. (I got some sort of spider bite on thigh which got very large and inflamed, but has cleared up completely so I don't think that it had anything to do with the rest of this.)
I'm on 10mg of Prednisone a day, but have pain especially at night and have trouble sleeping. Also very stiff in AM till the Prednisone gets working. During the day I can still feel it but it's tolerable. OTC don't help with pain.
I''m going to see Dr in week and a half -- any questions I shoule ask or tests to request?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Re: pain in and around joints

Hi there, I posted about a month ago with somewhat simliar issues. I am 33 and started getting migratoty joint pain. It would pulsate in one area for about 10 minutes then later on stab another part of my body. Also with this all of my joints started cracking, badly. This has gone on 3 months. The pain is getting better, but the cracking is still there and I also have a buzzing feeling in my feet from time to time and muscle twitching

I have had blood tests for everything, and a bone scan. All came back okay, docs are stumped though some say stress, one says it is a virus from a cold I had awhile back. I did have low d so I am wondering if maybe that was it. Get you D checked, also sure they will check your sed rate,e tc...

Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

Lesa45 HB User

Hi Mitziart, You might want to get your Tpo Ab checked. I have Hashimotos disease and it can attack the joints as well as the thyroid. Have you had your thyroid levels checked? TSH, FT4 and FT3 along with the Tpo Ab will tell you if you are Hypothyroid and/or Hashimotos.Hashimotos is a disease where your body senses the thyroid is a bad thind and sends large amounts of anibodies to fight it causing other symptoms as well.Take your temp several times a day and see if it is below normal. Thyroid troubles seem to go hand in hand with aches and pains.Good Luck, Lesa

Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
(female)

Andi06 HB User

Hello Have you ever been tested for fibromyalgia? and chronic fatigue syndrome (chronic fatigue has a new name I can't remember it now) but that could be causing your pain to get worse at night, I'm speaking from my own experience this is how mine started out at first. Actually I had mono first and then from that point on things went haywire and now I am being treated for Inflammatory arthritis and Mixed connective tissue disease as well as fibro and cfs. I am starting methotextrate on monday for the inflammatory arthritis.

You should probably ask your doc to see a rheumatologist this is a doctor who specializes in auto immune disease and disorders. Whoever said to get your thyroid checked was right it can't hurt at this point.
I am not a doctor my advice is from my sole experience and I would never give out advice of a doctor Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Closed Thread