It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2003, 06:44 PM   #1

Catcher3108 HB User
Question Mono...Can it come Back???

I was positive for mono in January 2003, I felt a little better then think I over did it per say. I now started feeling my glands in my neck getting larger and started not feeling like myself. I was thinking it could be something much worse than mono like HIV, but i only had one sex act and it was fully protected...Is it possible that I still have my mono...It was only 3 months ago. Pleae help. Thank you

Old 05-21-2003, 08:42 AM   #2
(male)

FargoUT HB User
Angry

Sorry to tell you this, but mono doesn't go away--ever. It's a viral infection, and can't be cured. The symptoms can go away, but you won't get rid of it. 90% of the population has the virus by the time they are 40, but only a small percentage ever show symptoms.

Mono has altered my life drastically. I can only lift weights for about fifteen minutes before I feel drained of all energy. I can do cardio and ride a bike for a long time, but lifting weights wipes me out. I'm not really sure why that is. I used to take Colloidal Silver to counteract the symptoms, and it worked like a miracle. But then I heard about the argyria possibilities and stopped taking it. I may just start taking it again on a lesser basis--maybe once a week or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #3

hatebeingsick HB User
i disagree... after having mono the fatigue can last up to a year, and if you over do it and are under stress there is a high likelyhood that you can have a mono relapse but after you have had mono and it went away the blood test will come up negative. yes it is viral so technically it will awlays stay with you but you are not always infected with the mono disease. it is EBV that is for life- mono is not for life!! EBV on the other hand-which is present in mono- stays with you for life and can have flare-ups when the symptoms show

Old 07-05-2003, 12:59 PM   #4

your_mum_350 HB User
Exclamation

My boyfriend developed mono in January of 2002 and he still gets the symptoms every now and then.... the doctor told him that after you have had mono once... it stays in your system and won't go away for the rest of your life. He does get tired sometimes, but it's gotten ALOT better within the past year. He heard it can become active sometimes as well. But, the weird thing is... even when he had it, I never got it because I have a VERY large immune system. Hopefully you will get to feeling better soon. I saw what my boyfriend went through and it REALLY has to suck. Sorry man.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Unhappy

Gosh, I didn't know mono stayed with you! I had it when I was 16yrs old. I have suffered with similar symptoms on and off. Today I went to my doc for swollen glands, fatigue and stranage skin condition. He is running all sorts of blood work. I don't know if I ever even mentioned that I had mono in the past? I am 47 and have had numerous health problems, my file is huge. I am seeing a rheumey next tuesday and will be sure to mention the mono! plus will def tell my primary when he gets back the results of blood work!

Old 09-16-2003, 11:07 AM   #6

Papasangel1993 HB User
I recently went to the doctor for similar problems. I thought I had mono. I had mono when I was a teenager. The doctor confirmed what one of the other posters said mono does not stay in your system for life but there are similar viruses that do the same things that do stay for life but will sometimes lie dormant and then come back when your immune system is down. I have CMV(cytomegalovirus) similar to mono it attack the liver. You might want to go get a serier of blood work done for these type viruses. These are not anything like cancer or HIV but it wouldn't hurt to rule those out.

Old 09-26-2003, 12:42 PM   #7

MonoBoy HB User
Question

I have recently tested positive for Mono, it has only been 3 weeks since my HELL week. The doctor told me it would only last for about 2 weeks. Right after the first week I felt 10 times better. Now I don't have mono symptoms, but I was wondering when I know for sure I can kiss my gf, or even share something. Please email your response to my email address or post asap!! thanks...

Old 06-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
(male)

c2dmetalgtr HB User
Exclamation Re: Mono...Can it come Back???

I registered here just so could post this. but ive read many and many symptoms of mono, and some were close to mine but not exactly. i was DX with mono in November of 2007 right around my 21st b-day........what a bummer right?. its was the worst month of my life and i still didnt feel normal for weeks after that. I have a detailed explanation of the spymtoms that i had experienced.

It first started out as a sore throat and swollen glands (neck).
soon after that i began to get a fever. but the funny thing was, before i knew that i had mono i kept having repeated fevers but only late in the evening of each day. but when i was sleeping i would sweat so much and get awakened so many times throughout the night i couldn't stand it. and when i was awakened, was when my fever would be at its highest. the highest fever i had reached was (104.1 F). i had never felt so bad, and they say at that temperature, you should go to the hospital.

I had found that breaking a fever is very simple. im not saying this works for all but, 2 tylenol's did the trick on lowering my fever every time. Over the period of weeks that i had suffered i ended up losing somewhere around 12 lbs. And for me thats bad......(5'7".....140lbs...with a fast metabolism). i had lost my appetite severely...but you have to make your self eat no matter what, and drink tons of water. After sweating that much continually you need to drink a ton of water or something to keep you hydrated. The entire time i was ill i had a strange taste in my mouth. ill never forget that. Mono was the most draining and worst experience i had ever had and i dont wish it on anyone............

im posted cause i have a feeling now that im having a relapse. its been 2 nights in a row that i have fevered at night. as soon as i know ill post again....

blaine_

Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wallis86 HB User
Re: Mono...Can it come Back???

I had 3 confirmed cases of mono between the ages of 10 and 14, none of which I got from someone else. The doctors told me that somehow I had become a carrier for the virus and it kept reinfecting me. It was miserable and was most likely the cause of all of my numerous autoimmune conditions. It's pretty rare to get mono multiple times though.

Closed Thread