It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

Annie75 HB User
Low IGA and IGM

Hi there

My identical twin sister and I have long suffered constant upper respiratory infections and all symptoms related to immune deficiency. Only recently we both had an immunoglobulin test which revealed low levels of IgA and IgM but normal levels of IgG. We both have Hashimoto's thyroiditis also.

Since I had my adenoids removed years ago the constant infections have reduced markedly but my main symptom of extreme fatigue is ongoing.

I have searched the web over and find info about selective IgA and selective IgM deficiency and even CVID. Nothing however seems to match having deficient IgA and IgM but normal IgG.

What could this mean? Nothing? Or a little bit of all those disorders?

Any insight would be appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Annie75 For This Useful Post:
steampacket (09-01-2012)
Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
(male)

ocelot HB User
Re: Low IGA and IGM

May just be a unique coincidence of mixed hypogammaglobulinemia particular to you. Doesn't this kind of thing make you feel lucky?

I have been IgA deficient for at least 20 years. I started getting B12 shots and went off plaquenil when my red blood cell numbers dropped and their size began running up, then my IgA normalized but IgG Subgroup 1 dropped, and my Sjogren's has acted up. Now they want a marrow aspiration and biopsy before they'll restart the Plaquenil. Can anyone tell me what's up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have been IgA deficient for years. I first found out when I was 18 and like you having my tonsils out and adenoids seem to help my constant sickness. My Family Doctor was giving me Gamma Gobulin shots. I then became pregnant at 20 with first child and my health completely turned around. I felt great and never got sick. So I never gave it much thought after that until recently.

I can tell you that I do not respond to Vaccines. Had the Hep B series twice and my titre does not rise. I am called a " non responder". Small pox vaccine never left a mark on my arm....just did not take. I am not big on vaccines anyway. Not sure but I think my non responding has to do with low IgA.

Now many years later I have Hashimoto's and Celiac..... When I was tested for Celiac my IgA was 1. I have not thought about my low IgA in years but now it has come back into play about perhaps why I have autoimmune disorders.....

Whatever I have I am never sick with colds or virus. Oleander

Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
(female)

pmolseed HB User

I have just been received blood work back that shows Low IgA & IgM like you. I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac's like one of the responders. My mother has just been diagnosed with IgG and will start IVIG soon.

I'm wondering if you have found any information since you wrote this note last year.

I am being referred to an Allergist/Immunologist.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Let us know what the Allergist Immunologist has to say.

I am fortunate not to get sick ever but do have the 2 immune disorders.

Vaccines do not work on me either. I am what you call a non responder.

It is somehow connected. Oleander

Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
(female)

deniseh1884 HB User

Hi. We found yout yesterday (saturday 19 June UK time) by post that my husband is IgA deficient but we are both unsure what this means can some helpt us out in plain english what it means?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
(male)

LATOUCHE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseh1884 View Post
Hi. We found yout yesterday (saturday 19 June UK time) by post that my husband is IgA deficient but we are both unsure what this means can some helpt us out in plain english what it means?
First you have a very good physician to make the diagnosis - often hard to make. I have had deficient IgA and IgM for years and couldnt understand why I got every infectious disease that went around, but got over everything fine. I dreaded pediatric rotations during training. I am 76, in good health, but avoid airplanes, runny nose children, etc.
Low IgA merely means your immune system is deficient in keeping you from getting things like colds, diarrhea,flu etc. However, if your IgG is OK you get over things. Once, as a physician with lots of exposure, I had eight colds in a year. Not fun, but nothing serious, just a bother.
I would suggest you read "Harrison's (no relation) Principles of Internal Medicine" Second volume at your local medical library. It has a very good summary - technical, but accurate. No treatment is known for IgA or IgM deficiency. There is treatment for IgG deficiency.
If all you have is IgA deficiency - dont worry, there are lots of other things that will kill you before that does. (typical physician macabe humor, sorry).
TJH

Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
(female)

Eliza B HB User

were your IgG subclasses measured? My IgG total is normal, but I am low in IgG1 and IgG3, as well as having low IgA and low IgM.

Closed Thread