It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
RA - anybody here has it?

Hello to all!!
I wonder if anyone here has Rheumatoid Arthritis? And what treatments are you on? Does it work for you?

Thank you in advance
Best wishes,

Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
(female)

vivien.dunn HB User
Re: RA - anybody here has it?

hi
i was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 10 years ago
been on methotrexate for around 8 years fought tooth and nail not to use it because i love a glass or 2 of wine when drinking socialy my doc said no alcahol but he finally relented and said i can have 1 glass a few times aweek i have been on alow dose 10mg per week and i seem ok my doc has now increased the dose to 15mg per week now as i am having trouble with my right hand now and my feet are a bit swollen having asteroid injection this week which will completly resolve the swelling problem for awhile then i will cut back on my methotrexate when i am ok again but still working full time diong my gardening ect so dont feel all doom and gloom. it can be controlled , when were you diagnosed and what is your story i will help you with any questions all i can

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
(female)

keiko HB User

I was dx with ra 5 years ago. I was on mtx and prednisone first. Then my dr added enbrel. That helped for a couple of years and i went off the mtx and prednisone eventually. Enbel wasn't working as well so i was changed to humira about 2 years ago. That has worked very well for me. So far i have done well on that alone but most people still take mtx with it. I have developed sjogrens as well in the last year or so. That bothers me more than the ra. The biggest problem with my current health is fatigue. Sometimes it is like i just hit a wall. Often after working all day i am really done in. I don't think humira makes the fatigue worse. My dr says it is part of the disease.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

Freedom Girl HB User

Hello,
I've been diagnosised with RA for little over a year. Once diagnosised I was started on Humira and methylprednisone. The Humira stopped working or I should say it never really worked. I have since changed to Enbrel 50mg weekly, methylpredisone & methotraexate. It seems to be working well for me. The plan is to eliminate the predisone altogether. Since I have been on the predisone I have gained 50 lbs...NOT Happy about that!! I just started on the methotraexate and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to take it. I have really experience weight gain of 10 lbs..seems to be water retention, swelled stomach, fautige. I was wondering if anyone had any side effects while taking the methotraexate. If so please let me know.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
(female)

BebeCo4 HB User

I have tried; embrel, humira, orencia, remicade, methadrix, plaquinel, arava. some relief but nothing has stopped the distruction yet. I am now battling another auto immune so I had to be pulled off RA meds while I tackle the new illness -pyoderma gangrenosum. I would try meds for 6 months.... then try another if it is not working.

enjoy the good times/grow through the hard times
BebeCo4

Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Wow! I don't see that any of those horrible drugs are doing much good. Has anyone tried alternative medicine? It seems worth a try.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
(female)

linweid HB User

My doctor told me I have an immune system deficiency. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on Levothyroxine and then was switched to Synthroid. My skin has always been very dry and itchy and still is. I also have arthritis in the tips of all my fingers. They are very inflammed. I take Plaquinil for many years. My newest thing is two red scaly patches along the outside of my little finger about the size of a dime. It seems to be one thing after another. I had been diagnosed with Inflammatory erosive osteoarthris years ago and it eventually led me to leave my job of 29 years. They cannot find any rheumatoid arthritis evidence. I am disabled but not by the standards that would require me to be able to collect disability. Has anyone else's arthritis taken years til they got a real name for it?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Is it possible that you have psoriatic arthritis (PsA)?

Last edited by hopalong_too; 09-24-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling....UGH!

Old 09-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #9
(female)

altheau HB User

Have you tried any diet adjustments ,there are many anti inflamatory diet books out there and I really know a fellow who got his ra under control with diet alone, and consultations from the auther of these books, Ann Boroch

My husband has ra and I did a lot of diet changes for him this past summer,
his energy came back and rs symtoms all but vanished(he is still on mx and prednisone) Just cutting out MSG processed foods and high fructose corn syrup was a start and then we cut down on wheat and added a lot of fresh fruit and vedgies ----------I haven't tried the whole elimnation diet yet,a little change at a time to keep my relationship intact, but what we did made a noticeable difference

Last edited by moderator2; 09-26-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
(female)

linweid HB User

I think it might be psa. My Rheumatologist recieved a note from my General practitioner that I really need to know what type I have! They are both women Dr's...I really can connect alot better with them than with most men doctors. So I saw the Rheumy, was a little embarrassed when she read the note to me but she laughed and said "wow, ok we're going to get you tested more thoroughly" She gave me a prescription for pain. It is called Propoxyphene.
I hope I didn't tell this same story before on this board because my mind is mush. So, a few days ago the Rheumy sent me a prescription for vitamin D cause mine showed on tests that it is low. I see her next week (after an MRI) and am anxious to see what else she is going to do to help me.
The red scaly patch on my little finger is getting worse. My both wrist are killing me now too. I'm glad i have this message board because i'm driving everyone in my family crazy! and they can't help me! They can't even relate to it at all. My husband is very supportive and the Psychiatris who I saw one time so far, I think will help me sort things out. Things that depress me.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
(female)

keiko HB User

It seems like you might have psoriatic arthritis if what you have on your skin is psoriasis. Sometimes it takes awhile for the entire picture to be seen. You can have a negative rheumatoid factor and still have ra. Pa is very similar in that both are autoimmune. Your thyroid probably is also an autoimmune process as well.

My rheumie would send you for an mri to see if you have synovitis. Also would be checking for joint damage. The more joint damage the more aggressively he would treat it.

He usually starts with methotrexate and prednisone. If not responsive to that would move to a biologic like enbrel or humira.you have to stop the disease process or you will have permanent joint damage.
Don't give up. You need answers and treatment.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Altheau,
I have changed my diet also and with tremendous results. I can't wait to go back in February to my rheumy to see if my blood tests have improved. I have a very high RA factor, but not a lot of symptoms or joint damage. I feel so much better, have lost 14 lbs and exercise a lot. I cut out sugar and refined carbs and eat a lot of protein, veggies and fruit - also cut out caffeine. I feel like a different person! I am still a little stiff after sitting for 20 minutes or more, but I think even that is improving. I would much rather go this route than start off with all those horrible drugs. If this doesn't work for me in the future, I'm sure I will take them, but will move heaven and earth to keep from them if I can.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
(female)

BebeCo4 HB User

I will look into the diet... I try to eat lots of fruits, & veggies.... but I will check into any options that might help. So far we still have not gotten this RA under control!! It is doing a lot of damage.

bebeco

Old 09-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
(female)

BebeCo4 HB User

sorry, to hear we are all in the same boat.... autoimune diceases. I will look into all comments. Some days are better than others.

bc

Old 09-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #15
(female)

BebeCo4 HB User

I can remember 10 yrs. ago, telling my Prim. Dr. at the time that my feet & hands hurt so bad... he just wanted me to take over the counter anti inflametory but things have on gotten worse. Hope you get good help... after I finally found a good DR. my insurance dropped her & so I had to find a new DR> he was horrible!!
Finally found another good one.

Closed Thread