It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pa.
Posts: 48
linweid HB User
Brain fog and immune system problems

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone else has these same issues. My doctor told me it's my immune system causing my problems. This is what I am being treated for that last few years.

erosive inflammatory osteoarthrits
hypothyroidism
anxiety and depression

I was recently sent to an immunologist mainly because my Dr. was having trouble regulating my Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. The immunologist told me what I have is autoimmune deficiency. He showed me a whole list of things I could get in addition to what I already have. Then he proceeded to change me from 1.00 Levothyroxine mg. to .80 mg.Synthroid. Levothyroxine is the generic brand of Synthroid. It didn't make sense that he lowered it but hey, he's supposed to know what he's doing. I feel worse than ever. I have had brain fog so bad for a long time. Everyone notices it and I feel stupid. I have had several memory tests and an MRI of the brain and nothing is wrong with me, so they tell me. I was told by the Dr. that my brain fog is due to me needing councelling for family problems. I think she's crazy. I asked to be tested for Celiac because I suddenly started breaking out in an itchy rash on my arms and legs. My Dr. said I tested negative, but that my t-4 cells were high due to my immune system problem. (I think she said high). Anyway, the brain fog is so embarrassing. Does anyone else out there have brain fog? Is it due to simply having an immune system deficiency?

Linda

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
sv27 HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

I have brain fog on a daily basis also...

I have been tested for...

Mono
Hypothyroidism
Low Testosterone
Pituitary Deficiency
and recently Celiac's...

I am also having some weight loss/joint pain/gas/diarrea issues so I am sure that there is SOME digestion issue going on. I had blood drawn for IGA deficiency (immune system) this past week. My *newest* theory is some systemic infection but I am not getting my hopes up... To this point, however, I have refused any psychological evaluation for depression/anxiety disorders/adhd etc. I will have my results on Monday and let you know.

I am curious, though, about what your actual diagnosis is? I would take a peek over on the Thryoid board because from what I have read, many hypothyroid individuals deal with brain fog that seems to be very sensitive to their prescriptions and dosages.

 
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pa.
Posts: 48
linweid HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

My Dr. just put me on Celexa, in addition to the Wellbutrin that I have taken for years. My brain fog seems to be clearing up, after all this time! I can't believe it.

 
Old 02-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 580
lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

Hi SV27:

I just read your thread and was wondering what your outcome was. I have hashimotos and have chronic gas and constipation and muscle aches and fatigue. I have been diagnosed with candida of the intestines but the regular docs don't believe in it. I also have some brain fog. I also have tingling on the top of my head and severe neck pain that I have done message therapy, chiropractic and accupuncture and nothing is helping it. I might also have chronic fatigue syndrome and maybe some fibro. No definite answers. Still searching. Lots of symptoms. Hope all is well with you. Lala

 
Old 02-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pa.
Posts: 48
linweid HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv27 View Post
I have brain fog on a daily basis also...

I have been tested for...

Mono
Hypothyroidism
Low Testosterone
Pituitary Deficiency
and recently Celiac's...

I am also having some weight loss/joint pain/gas/diarrea issues so I am sure that there is SOME digestion issue going on. I had blood drawn for IGA deficiency (immune system) this past week. My *newest* theory is some systemic infection but I am not getting my hopes up... To this point, however, I have refused any psychological evaluation for depression/anxiety disorders/adhd etc. I will have my results on Monday and let you know.

I am curious, though, about what your actual diagnosis is? I would take a peek over on the Thryoid board because from what I have read, many hypothyroid individuals deal with brain fog that seems to be very sensitive to their prescriptions and dosages.

 
Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pa.
Posts: 48
linweid HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

Hi sv27

I wasn't sure who you were asking (about their diagnosis) but I think I got the answer to alot of my illnesses. After several years of saying "no" to my family Dr. I finally listened to her and saw a shrink. My BRAIN FOG has improved tremendously.

My diagnosis is Complex PTSD. I see a Psychiatrist once a month and a Psychologist once every two weeks. Things came up about my childhood. I rarely ever talk about the beatings with a belt anymore (from age 5 til I was about 12). I have had night terrors all my life. I semi-wake up screaming or sometimes shaking and mumbling (my husband told me). I have always had that.

Because I suppressed most of it and because I am 62 years old, the chances of recovering all the horror are slim. What has been tearfully recovered so far (in therapy) lifted much of the brain fog.

DISSOCIATIVE AMNESIA comes along with my C-PTSD. My brain will never recover everything, I have had this for most of my life and always will. There is something called "SOMATIC ILLNESS" that goes along with some mental problems. That's what I have. Alot of my suppressed past memories affected my immune system which caused some physical symptoms).

I still must take Synthroid, and the antidepressants and always will. but the family Dr. said my "stressors" level show normal on my blood tests now. I will always have the arthritis and the Hypothyroidism but everything else went away, and I haven't had any new physical symptoms as I kept having.

I'm not saying everyone has C-PTSD but I wanted to share my experience. Some therapy sessions are still extremely emotional, but I talked to my mom and sister and they helped me recover some of the supressed abuse (the parts they remember).

I just wanted to let you know one of the things that causes brain fog. I never expected it to be my past.

Linda

 
Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Warrenville, IL USA
Posts: 2
HelenHi HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv27 View Post
I have brain fog on a daily basis also...

I have been tested for...

Mono
Hypothyroidism
Low Testosterone
Pituitary Deficiency
and recently Celiac's...

I am also having some weight loss/joint pain/gas/diarrea issues so I am sure that there is SOME digestion issue going on. I had blood drawn for IGA deficiency (immune system) this past week. My *newest* theory is some systemic infection but I am not getting my hopes up... To this point, however, I have refused any psychological evaluation for depression/anxiety disorders/adhd etc. I will have my results on Monday and let you know.

I am curious, though, about what your actual diagnosis is? I would take a peek over on the Thryoid board because from what I have read, many hypothyroid individuals deal with brain fog that seems to be very sensitive to their prescriptions and dosages.
Have you ever been tested for lyme disease through Igenex Lab? Lyme can be the underlying cause of many diseases.

 
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: iowa
Posts: 12
yolo11 HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by linweid View Post
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone else has these same issues. My doctor told me it's my immune system causing my problems. This is what I am being treated for that last few years.

erosive inflammatory osteoarthrits
hypothyroidism
anxiety and depression

I was recently sent to an immunologist mainly because my Dr. was having trouble regulating my Levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. The immunologist told me what I have is autoimmune deficiency. He showed me a whole list of things I could get in addition to what I already have. Then he proceeded to change me from 1.00 Levothyroxine mg. to .80 mg.Synthroid. Levothyroxine is the generic brand of Synthroid. It didn't make sense that he lowered it but hey, he's supposed to know what he's doing. I feel worse than ever. I have had brain fog so bad for a long time. Everyone notices it and I feel stupid. I have had several memory tests and an MRI of the brain and nothing is wrong with me, so they tell me. I was told by the Dr. that my brain fog is due to me needing councelling for family problems. I think she's crazy. I asked to be tested for Celiac because I suddenly started breaking out in an itchy rash on my arms and legs. My Dr. said I tested negative, but that my t-4 cells were high due to my immune system problem. (I think she said high). Anyway, the brain fog is so embarrassing. Does anyone else out there have brain fog? Is it due to simply having an immune system deficiency?

Linda
Have you had chemo in the past? I've chemo fog from a high dose chemo bone marrow transplant 16 years ago. We have similar symptoms.

 
Old 11-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
jonnstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,873
jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

have you tried supplementing with vitamins, zinc and selenium? These can realy help boost the immune system

 
Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: valdosta, georgia usa
Posts: 49
hawk1 HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

Do you ever notice these symptoms occur whenever you get around any type of fragrances, i.e., air fresheners, candles, perfumes, etc.? I do get brain fog, severe fatigue, eyes burning and inflammed, my face gets red and hot and my whole rib cage starts hurting if I stay around ANY type of fragrance for more than 5 minutes. What types of chemicals do you use in your home? What types of chemicals are used wherever you work? The chemicals in these fragrances adhere to any porous surface around you and will stay in the environment for months and affect the indoor air quality. Do you experience any of these symptoms when out in the fresh air? These chemicals will also compromise your immune system. It helped me to keep a diary of what I was around when these symptoms start occurring. When I had my first severe reaction to fragrances, my white blood cell count rose to in the 30's but since I have been away from them (had to quit my job) for the last 2 months, my white blood cell count went down to 11.2. This is just a thought but well worth it to keep a daily diary. Hope you get to feeling better!

 
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: iowa
Posts: 12
yolo11 HB User
Re: Brain fog and immune system problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
Do you ever notice these symptoms occur whenever you get around any type of fragrances, i.e., air fresheners, candles, perfumes, etc.? I do get brain fog, severe fatigue, eyes burning and inflammed, my face gets red and hot and my whole rib cage starts hurting if I stay around ANY type of fragrance for more than 5 minutes. What types of chemicals do you use in your home? What types of chemicals are used wherever you work? The chemicals in these fragrances adhere to any porous surface around you and will stay in the environment for months and affect the indoor air quality. Do you experience any of these symptoms when out in the fresh air? These chemicals will also compromise your immune system. It helped me to keep a diary of what I was around when these symptoms start occurring. When I had my first severe reaction to fragrances, my white blood cell count rose to in the 30's but since I have been away from them (had to quit my job) for the last 2 months, my white blood cell count went down to 11.2. This is just a thought but well worth it to keep a daily diary. Hope you get to feeling better!
Thanks for replying, and I wish you luck, too! Fragrances don't seem to affect me. Stress does worsen my fog, also when I'm tired. But it can happen anytime. It feels rather "floaty" if that makes sense. I try to remove myself from interacting with people when that happens...it's frustrating as I've always considered myself above average intelligence, but now it's difficult to hold conversations for any length of time. Not alzheimers. Your idea of keeping a diary is a good one. At my psychiatrist's recommendation, I'm trying to mentally track when this happens, what happens to me, to help me coop in social situations when my mental departure and glitches can be embarrassing and upsetting for me.

Last edited by yolo11; 01-23-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: afterthought

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
confused whether suffering through dizziness or some brain malfunctioning insomnia22 Inner Ear Disorders 7 10-11-2009 01:11 AM
Brain Fog? dustin1234 Allergies 88 06-27-2008 10:30 AM
headaches,brain fog,dizziness,lethargy tut08 Headaches & Migraines 2 03-08-2008 09:33 AM
for everybody with brain fog, lethargy, sore joints, headaches etc. tut08 Headaches & Migraines 0 03-05-2008 11:20 AM
stage 1V nsclc...brain mets....unreal story and need advice and help too angelmama39 Cancer: Lung 15 09-14-2006 04:13 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



cvidmama (12), kelli1b (4), ladybud (3), markincleveland (3), AngelicBrat (2), luca689 (2), ltmccarty (2), SK59 (2), elsmom (1), MSNik (1)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (999), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (667), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!