It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Question Scalp Pain/Tenderness, What Causes It?

I have Graves and Hashimoto's disease of the thyroid. My endocrinologist suspects I may have other autoimmune diseases and I am waiting for the test results to come back sometime this week or next week.

I am very symptomatic since all of this began for me in Febuary 2009 and my symptoms have been growing and evolving into new things.

I just discovered that I have scalp pain or senstivity/tenderness at the top/crown area of scalp. I reached up with brush my hair back with my fingers this morning after waking up and my "hair hurt" or better stated, when I moved my hair, it hurts my scalp.

Does anyone else have this and if so, do you know which autoimmune disease this may be associated with? Thanks!

Old 08-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
(female)

byoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB Userbyoung6 HB User
Re: Scalp Pain/Tenderness, What Causes It?

there is another thread about this in fibromyalgia, I hope this helps.
Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

caddyshack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
I have Graves and Hashimoto's disease of the thyroid. My endocrinologist suspects I may have other autoimmune diseases and I am waiting for the test results to come back sometime this week or next week.

I am very symptomatic since all of this began for me in Febuary 2009 and my symptoms have been growing and evolving into new things.

I just discovered that I have scalp pain or senstivity/tenderness at the top/crown area of scalp. I reached up with brush my hair back with my fingers this morning after waking up and my "hair hurt" or better stated, when I moved my hair, it hurts my scalp.

Does anyone else have this and if so, do you know which autoimmune disease this may be associated with? Thanks!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

caddyshack HB User

Just wondering if anyone has answers about the scalp pain you mentioned. I too have been experiencing the same. At the crown it is red and hurts. I thought maybe I burned that spot with my hairdryer. In the spring when the sun is hot I get the same thing happening but this is the first in the winter to have it hurt like it does. It also hurt last month but went away. Please let me know what you found out.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I have this occur sporadically. I hope to mention this to my rheumatologist next week. I have Lupus and FMS and also have a daughter that is experiencing this same symptom but as yet has no diagnosis matching mine. I know it is very bothersome. I feel as if the whole top of my head is so sensitive at times. I dread the daily brushing and shampooing is really painful. I do hope he can shed some light on the cause and maybe some remedy.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
(female)

str8jacket HB User

I have the SAME symptoms for about two years now and nothing helps. I notice that the more days I go without washing my hair, the worse it gets. Sometimes, and it could just be coincidence, when I change shampoo products, I get relief for a brief period although it never seems to go away completely. Tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner seems to relieve it somewhat.

It my research I have found that thyroid issues can be the cause of these symptoms. I have been on meds for mild hypothyroidism in the past. I have since moved to another state.....new doctor.....and my bloodwork keeps coming back normal so inspite of the fact that I have other hypothyroid symptoms (ie: low body temperature, inability to lose weight, high cholesterol, hair loss), she won't prescribe the medication for me.

I recently learned about Dr. Mark Starr. He has his practice in Arizona, although people with thyroid symptoms from all over the world are going to see him because of his vast research in hypothyroidism. < edited > He has also written a book about it. He recommends taking desicated thyroid but the FDA is making it harder and harder to get it. I haven't been able to get it so I can't tell you if it works for the "hair" pain or not. I am however, seriously considering a trip to see him very soon.

Notice that we are all women with these symptoms........hmmmm. I am most likely on the brink of menopause at 48....could be related??? I dunno.

I would LOVE an answer to this question too.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-08-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, or suggest Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to str8jacket For This Useful Post:
amyrinPA (06-12-2011)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
(female)

sunthari HB User

i too having the same problem.when tell my doctor about this, he look funny at me... hope someone can tell the solution for it.

thank you

Old 04-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

lottaxheat HB User

hi... don't know how old your post was re scalp and hair pain.'
i also have thyroid hashimoto disease and also have pain when i touch my hair or move
my hair.... comes and goes.....had it a few years and never thought what it could be.
would love to hear your thoughts.
thanks
jeanne

Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
(female)

str8jacket HB User

This has been going on with me for the past couple of years. I did a ton of research on it and found it to be an obscure symptom related to thyroid issues. Since I have other symptoms of hypothyroidism, although thyroid panel bloodwork always comes back "within normal limits", I have come to the conclusion that this is probably what it is from. There are stufies that show that hypothyroidism is epidemic and that it doesn't always show up in the tests that are routinely done to screen thyroid function. I am very frustrated. Every doctor that I have mentioned this to looks at me like I am making it up.

Are you being treated for your Hashimoto's and, if so, did the hair pain symptom go away?

Thanks SO much for responding. Maybe we non-doctors can get to the bottom of this on our own....hehe.

~Leesa

Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
(male)

cberlioz HB User

Researched and found that fibromyalgia has a lot of similar symptoms. I have had this strange tendernes ontop of my cranium like most say... when brushing or washing hair for almost 4 months off/on. Had a lot of stress the last 2 years... major family problems. None of the paired tender points appear on head diagram on wikipedia diagram though. I will keep researching and keep posting.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-31-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: if a word is blocked, then that website is disallowed

Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
(female)

Kit1957 HB User

Hi - I have Celiac and have been generally good about living gluten-free, but a couple days ago I gave in to a craving for fried chicken (store made) and, along with other typical gluten intolerance reactions, I had an onset severe scalp pain today. I definitely think it is related my body's attempt to create the antibodies to "fight" the gluten. I had this happen one other time and, as I reflect on that incident, I remember that it followed another period of weakness when I ate foods with gluten.
Is it possible you have Celiac too? They can run a blood test to see if you have a build-up of the antibodies. That, plus endocopy/colonoscopy tests will give you confirmation.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
(female)

comerford HB User

Hi,
I have hashimoto's and also scalp pain/burning especially at the top of my head and base of my skull....I just found out that my frontal sinus needs another operation (have had 8 on my sinuses so far); I also have VERY low IGG2 test values and IGG4 is in the lower end of normal. Sooo...it is either infection from the frontal sinus (where ENTs hate to scope, they just illuminate it via the ethmoid) or from the hashimoto's...If anyone finds out LET ME KNOW!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
(female)

picnic babe HB User

I too have this "hair" pain! I suffer from hyperthyroidism, which is so high I have been diagnosed with Grave's disease. I have been on medication for about eight months that has helped to regulate and rid almost all of the bad side effects. I have talked about my symptoms to a few close people and they don't understand, so it is reassuring to know that I am not the only one with this problem. I suffer from significant hair loss. I also have a very tender (painful) scalp. My scalp really hurts when I brush or touch it. I am in my early thirties and worry if I will need a wig soon. I have talked with my family doctor about this and he responds that this is due to the hormones.
In doing a little research, I have concluded that a lack of iron may play a role in having healthy hair. I am stumped as to what to do to feel better.
Hang in there...others suffering as I. Any new findings or suggestions as to products or tips that may alleviate this scalp pain?
Thank you!

Closed Thread