It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

Alexa3 HB User
Question Misdiagnosed? Rheumatiod Arthritis instead of Lupus?

It's been a long winter, frustrating, death of my Dad, my partner lost her job, starting meno-pause, and both losing our health insurance.

So I had to stop seeing my rheumatologist for now, and seeing my GP every 3 months until my Medicare starts up in July.

The good news is going through so much and not having health insurance is our eating habits are healthier. I've lost 26 lbs and gone down 2 sizes.

Also, kind of good news, bad news is that I think I've been mis-diagnosed. My Rheumy said I had lupus with fibromyalgia, Raynauds, and psoriasis. I know he got the Psoriasis right but this winter I've been having such a flare up of Raynauds, followed by extremely hot hands, joints, and sores on my fingers that I think the lupus is actually Rheumatoid Arthritis, why? Because now that I've researched it this one paragraph stands glaringly out:

Quote:
Rheumatoid arthritis. Raynaud's often is the first sign of rheumatoid arthritis, an inflammatory condition causing pain and stiffness in the body's joints, often including the hands and feet.
Also can mimic gout, which I've had what appeared to be a few gout attacks on my big toe joint, hot swollen, painful, but I don't drink, rarely eat red meat or smoke, any of the things they say causes gout. I think he checked for the RA factor, or whatever it is, and it was negative, while the ANA tests have always been high. He pretty much came to the conclusion that it was lupus and fibromyalgia. At my last appointment with my GP he mentioned RA in passing that I forgot about it until the past few weeks of having this raynaud attacks in between the hot swollen hands, it's like having a light bulb go off in my head.

My signs, symptoms are all so text book RA that I am surprised he came to the conclusion is was lupus so fast (hind sight is 20/20 right?). I'll find a new Dr, and get a new Rheumy. I know that because I'm in the middle of a flare up I should see one now, but no money too.

I wonder if this is why I'm all of a sudden having an easy time losing weight when it's always been a battle. Thoughts, opinions anyone?

I almost forgot to add that when I get a scratch on my hand it seems infected. I was trimming a juniper and I got what seems to be an allergic reaction, lots of little red nubs, and some are about the size of a dime, very inflamed and sometimes itchy, a couple are near my middle knuckles. My left hands have a bunch of pin sized nubs under the skin.

Last edited by Alexa3; 05-05-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Adding symptom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Misdiagnosed? Rheumatiod Arthritis instead of Lupus?

Have you thought about Psoriatic arthritis? It would seem if you have psoriasis that you may have PsA. There is a lot of information about this. You can check the National Psoriasis Foundation as they have a section about PsA and some great info. It seems to be what you are describing especially with the toes. Have you ever had "sausage digits"? (Inflammation of the toes). Just a thought.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
(female)

Alexa3 HB User
Re: Misdiagnosed? Rheumatiod Arthritis instead of Lupus?

I've had Psoriasis for over 20 years, arthritis in my back, neck and knee's. My old Dr's treated that as ring worm until my last Dr finally did a biopsy.

This past few months is the first time my hands have gotten inflamed like this, also first time that I have these almost sore like spots near my middle knuckles. Also it looks like a couple fingers are getting a little deformed. I know what sausages fingers are, and that isn't what is happening. Because of my Raynauds my fingers gets white, sometimes part of my hands look splotchy red and white, but when I get up in the mornings it takes awhile for me, sometime sup to an hour to get my stiff joints some what functioning. Anyway new "sores" unlike my normal psoriasis patches have emerged in the past 4 months.

It's not like I can do much until I get insurance, but I thought I'd come here to read up on what I can until I get another Rheumy.

Closed Thread