It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
(male)

SkipperH HB User
Autoimmune disease?

Hello...I've been to so many forums (and doctors) looking for answers to what might be causing me to feel ill for many years. A brief history, I had chronic diarrhea for almost 10 years and had to mix this awful tasting medicine into every one of my drinks at every meal. All the tests the Gastro doc took always came out negative. One day during a PCP office visit I mentioned that I was extremely fatigued. They checked my Thyroid and found out I had an under active Thyroid, I was then put on Synthroid. Immediately the Diarrhea stopped. My next symptom which started the same time the fatigue started was dizziness, not spinning, but more of an off balance feeling. I saw ENT docs, two Neurologists and a medical facility dedicated to balance disorders. Long story short, was diagnosed at the time with MAV (migraine associated vertigo) and was put on meds for that. The off balance feeling was not completely gone which ultimately led to depression which led to an anti-depressant. The anti-depressant actually helped with some of the off balance feeling and kept my mind straight. Endocrinologists have discovered I also have low testosterone and Adrenal Insufficiency. I've been checked for Pheocromocytoma of the Adrenals (urine test) MRI of the head for a Pituitary tumor both negative. I did have a 24 hour urine test for Creatinine and came out abnormal (high side of the scale) but the doc hasn't discussed this with me yet. I have resting tremor (muscle twitching) on all five fingers on my left hand, the worst being my index finger. I'm on medication for high blood pressure but do have Orthostatic hypotension. Could there be any connection?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
(male)

Oliver25 HB User
Re: Autoimmune disease?

HI

Well, hypothyroidism and diarrhea usually dont go together, as hypoth. has the opposite effect.

I think you should consider for some kind of intoxication. For example mercury poisoning or a fungal infection which would constantly put toxins into your body.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
(female)

Sister T HB User

I would suggest you see a Rheumatologist for lupus or a Neuro for MS.I am not a doctor but you have symptoms of both.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
(male)

SkipperH HB User

Sis,
As I mentioned before I've seen two Neuro docs both ordered MRIs of the head to rule out MS. The Lupus condition has not been brought up however. Don't you need to show a rash of some sort to suspect Lupus?

Old 05-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
(female)

Sister T HB User

Not everybody has a rash. I developed one last fall after a week in the sun. It's still there but it is faint. You can have discoid lupus which comes with rashes and then there is the butterfly rash across the nose and cheeks. There is 11 criteria the doctors go by and they like for one to have at least 4 of those before you get a lupus diagnosis because it can mimic other diseases and can take years to actually manifest. Lupus is a very frustrating disorder. I'm wondering for you if you have ever been tested for celiac? It too is an autoimmune. You can have stomach problems there. Hope you find answers soon.

Last edited by Sister T; 05-23-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
(male)

SkipperH HB User

Thanks is there a autoimmune test for Lupus?

Old 05-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
(female)

Sister T HB User

There isn't one specific test for lupus but when they tested mine it showed that my ANA's and dsDNA's were elevated, and they are two out of the four that they need for their criteria. there are other blood tests though. There are urine tests also. There are many tests that they can do according to your symptoms. If you log onto the Lupus Foundation of America or The Lupus Site, they will give you just about everything that you will find very helpful. It is frustrating and exhausting trying to figure out why we feel the way we do, especially when you know there is something wrong with you. I pray that you will find your answers soon. Check out those sites on the web. I promise you will find some great information.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
(male)

SkipperH HB User

Thank you for your help.

Closed Thread