It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

mominflorida HB User
Toddler son diagnosed with ITP

Has anyone else had a small child diagnosed with ITP? How long did it last? Was it treated with IVIG or anything else?

My 16-month-old son was diagnosed about 11 days ago with ITP. He went into the hospital with a count of 1,000 and was given a treatment of IVIG. Five hours after the treatment was stopped he was tested again and his numbers went to 49,000 so he was discharged. We were so happy but very cautious. He went in for his next blood draw five days later and his number was at 125,000. His bruises are nearly gone and no petechiae reappearing so far. He gets his next blood draw on Monday, which will be 15 days after his IVIG.

I am so nervous about this! I would appreciate any one else's experiences with their little ones.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kelli1b HB Userkelli1b HB User
Re: Toddler son diagnosed with ITP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominflorida View Post
Has anyone else had a small child diagnosed with ITP? How long did it last? Was it treated with IVIG or anything else?

My 16-month-old son was diagnosed about 11 days ago with ITP. He went into the hospital with a count of 1,000 and was given a treatment of IVIG. Five hours after the treatment was stopped he was tested again and his numbers went to 49,000 so he was discharged. We were so happy but very cautious. He went in for his next blood draw five days later and his number was at 125,000. His bruises are nearly gone and no petechiae reappearing so far. He gets his next blood draw on Monday, which will be 15 days after his IVIG.

I am so nervous about this! I would appreciate any one else's experiences with their little ones.

Thanks!
Hi,

I don't have a child with ITP but I had it about 10 years ago. Mine were about 10,000 when I found out I had it. I had to do high doses of steroids and ended up having a splenectomy as the steroids never worked. The hematologist I saw at the time, said sometimes the body needs a kick start (medication). Back then they didn't do IVIG just steroids. I'm so happy for you that they have the IVIG now as steroids were HORRIBLE. And his count is still going up that is awesome. Mine immediately dropped as soon as we started backing off the meds. Sorry I don't know if any of this helps. Hang in there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
(female)

wd1976 HB User
Re: Toddler son diagnosed with ITP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominflorida View Post

Thanks!
Hi,

Yes, my daughter was 2 years old when she was diagnosed with ITP in 1988. She was in the hospital for about a week or so if i remember right, and it was just so strange that she had these bruises...they of course thought it was child abuse at first until they did the bloodwork and found the disease. She was treated and released and has been fine ever since. She is now 25, and graduated from college and living a normal life. She did contract mono last year, but took the antibiotics and was fine. I hope you have the same success as I did. I'll betcha this will be a glitch that will pass...good luck to you!!

WD

Closed Thread