It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
(male)

EB1000 HB User
High serum Iga and low igm

Hi

I'm new here. I'm 38 yo and healthy in general. 4 years ago I got sick with throat and respiratory infection which turned out to be viral (virus was not identified). After 4 days of very high fever extremely soar throat, and coughing, I was hospitalized for 7 more days. the main suspicion was lymphoma since many of my lymph nodes were very swollen, but a CT ruled that out. The Ct also showed an abnormal pulmonary infection. The only rare finding was a poly-clonal hyperglobulinemia of very high IGG (2600) and IGA (1570). after a few days i got better and sent home. ever since i did not get sick again for 4 whole years. last month I had a regular blood test and the results showed high level of total protein (8.6 mg/dl where 8.2 is upper limit) and globulin (4.2 where 3.5 is upper limit). further tests (immuneglubolins/fixation) showed that my IGA level where very high at 860 mg/dl where upper limit is 400 and low levels of Igm (32 mg/dl) where lower limit is 45. The Igg levels are normal within range.

it seems that the high level of globulins are still poly-clonal and consists of both kappa and lambda light chains (both very high with k/l ratio of 2, within range). electrophoresis test showed that all other globulins (Gamma, Alpha1/2 and beta) are within normal ranges

Since I do not have any other symptoms, my doctor referred me to an immunologist for which i have an appointment for next month.

Could the unknown infection i had 4 years ago messed up my entire immune system? am I in any danger of developing something more serious? could this be a begging of something malignant.. ? is this the end...?

Thanks and sorry for the bad English

Last edited by EB1000; 09-05-2010 at 11:16 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to EB1000:
Oleander53 (10-26-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User
Re: High serum Iga and low igm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post
Hi

I'm new here. I'm 38 yo and healthy in general. 4 years ago I got sick with throat and respiratory infection which turned out to be viral (virus was not identified). After 4 days of very high fever extremely soar throat, and coughing, I was hospitalized for 7 more days. the main suspicion was lymphoma since many of my lymph nodes were very swollen, but a CT ruled that out. The Ct also showed an abnormal pulmonary infection. The only rare finding was a poly-clonal hyperglobulinemia of very high IGG (2600) and IGA (1570). after a few days i got better and sent home. ever since i did not get sick again for 4 whole years. last month I had a regular blood test and the results showed high level of total protein (8.6 mg/dl where 8.2 is upper limit) and globulin (4.2 where 3.5 is upper limit). further tests (immuneglubolins/fixation) showed that my IGA level where very high at 860 mg/dl where upper limit is 400 and low levels of Igm (32 mg/dl) where lower limit is 45. The Igg levels are normal within range.

it seems that the high level of globulins are still poly-clonal and consists of both kappa and lambda light chains (both very high with k/l ratio of 2, within range). electrophoresis test showed that all other globulins (Gamma, Alpha1/2 and beta) are within normal ranges

Since I do not have any other symptoms, my doctor referred me to an immunologist for which i have an appointment for next month.

Could the unknown infection i had 4 years ago messed up my entire immune system? am I in any danger of developing something more serious? could this be a begging of something malignant.. ? is this the end...?

Thanks and sorry for the bad English

I'm curious to know...what have you found out about this situation? Do they know what is causing your IgA to be so high? Is your SED rate high too?

My IgA is also high and I am going to see a Hematologist/Oncologist on Monday the 20th. I seriously doubt I have cancer but my doctors want to rule out a few things.
Take care,
Sharon

Old 12-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
(male)

EB1000 HB User

Hi

Yes my SED rate is constantly high at around 30 where it should be less than 20. I went to see an immunologist that did a few more blood tests only to find out that my IGE levels are also x2 higher than normal.. But after the second visit he just gave up and told me to stop worrying about this and never to come see him again unless I get really sick.. I went to another doc hematologist this time who also told me not to worry about this as there are few people whom for no know reason have higher than normal iga and ige levels. he just told me to keep track of my renal functions by doing boold test once a year since there are reported cases where high ige serum lead to chronic renal failure in the long run... I home everything turns to be ok for you

take care and keep us updated

Eli

Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
(female)

Fibrobugsme HB UserFibrobugsme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB1000 View Post
Hi

Yes my SED rate is constantly high at around 30 where it should be less than 20. I went to see an immunologist that did a few more blood tests only to find out that my IGE levels are also x2 higher than normal.. But after the second visit he just gave up and told me to stop worrying about this and never to come see him again unless I get really sick.. I went to another doc hematologist this time who also told me not to worry about this as there are few people whom for no know reason have higher than normal iga and ige levels. he just told me to keep track of my renal functions by doing boold test once a year since there are reported cases where high ige serum lead to chronic renal failure in the long run... I home everything turns to be ok for you

take care and keep us updated

Eli
Thank you Eli. I hope everything goes well on Monday. I don't seem to have any other real signs for cancer...I don't think. I'll see what she has to say on Monday. My other levels (IgE and IgM, etc) are normal. My SED rate comes in around 70 though. I'll post after I see the Hematologist on Monday.

Thank you again,
Sharon

Closed Thread