It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

CMG3881 HB User
Cvid

I was diagnosed with CVID over 19 years ago. I was diagnosed by Johns Hopkins University when I was 10 years old. My immune system at the point was not existent and was receiving the IVIG treatments for years until they changed the formula and had a allergic reaction. I haven't received the treatments in years but I have noticed that I am getting sick more frequently and I have been diagnosed with more allergies than my allergist has ever seen anyone to have. Especially to the amounts of food allergies that I have. I have been wanting to try the IVIG treatments again but I can't find a good immunologist in this area and I can't afford them because I have no health insurance. Very upsetting to me indeed. Is there anything that I can try to help keep me a bit healthier without forking out a lot of money?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kelli1b HB Userkelli1b HB User
Re: Cvid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG3881 View Post
I was diagnosed with CVID over 19 years ago. I was diagnosed by Johns Hopkins University when I was 10 years old. My immune system at the point was not existent and was receiving the IVIG treatments for years until they changed the formula and had a allergic reaction. I haven't received the treatments in years but I have noticed that I am getting sick more frequently and I have been diagnosed with more allergies than my allergist has ever seen anyone to have. Especially to the amounts of food allergies that I have. I have been wanting to try the IVIG treatments again but I can't find a good immunologist in this area and I can't afford them because I have no health insurance. Very upsetting to me indeed. Is there anything that I can try to help keep me a bit healthier without forking out a lot of money?
If you have cvid, nothing can help you except for IVIG that I am aware of. Nothing will "boost" an immune system that isn't there. Have you tried medi-cal or medi-caid? You probably have an IgA antibody and were given the wrong IgG product. A simple blood test can tell you that and if so, there are products with NO IgA. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hello, Sorry about how you are feeling.

I developed some severe food allergies over the last 2 years. I mean I had 2 bouts of Anaphylaxis that paramedics had to be called. Itching, hives, fullness in ears, shortness of breath, rapid heart beat and so on. I had to see an Immunologist and carry an epipen and all of that. I am in my 50's ??????????

I had a positive test called Anti IgE Receptor AB test. In a nutshell my body's receptors are attacking themselves.

I am on Zyrtec and Zantac daily which are Histamine blockers and can be purchased over the counter. It has settled my system down and I have not had an allergic in over 2 months. Wonderful !! I also had skin testing and then RAST blood testing. I am showing highly allergic to Beef...so I am avoiding beef.

I am being worked up for Lupus and hopefully that is not the case.

Hope that helps........ Oleander

Old 10-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
Hello, Sorry about how you are feeling.

I developed some severe food allergies over the last 2 years. I mean I had 2 bouts of Anaphylaxis that paramedics had to be called. Itching, hives, fullness in ears, shortness of breath, rapid heart beat and so on. I had to see an Immunologist and carry an epipen and all of that. I am in my 50's ??????????

I had a positive test called Anti IgE Receptor AB test. In a nutshell my body's receptors are attacking themselves.

I am on Zyrtec and Zantac daily which are Histamine blockers and can be purchased over the counter. It has settled my system down and I have not had an allergic in over 2 months. Wonderful !! I also had skin testing and then RAST blood testing. I am showing highly allergic to Beef...so I am avoiding beef.

I am being worked up for Lupus and hopefully that is not the case.

Hope that helps........ Oleander
Oleander - I was told we can't get diagnosed by antibody tests such as lupus, Valley Fever, Tuburculosis, etc because we don't make antibodies. I truly believe I have Lupus and can't get a 2nd opinion, shoot I can't even get anyone to see me for that matter.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes I was treated as a teenager for low immune system with Gammagobulin shots.

I think this has a huge impact on tests but many Doctors are not educated on it. I think when I show a elevated anything it means it is really high. I am what you call a non responder to vaccines also. Hep B series twice and my titre will not rise, small pox given 6 times as a child and no scar or no reaction at all?????? I stay clear of vaccines.

I am going to see what my new Rheumatologist has to say...I am on his waiting list to be seen. Referred there by my Immunologist.

Good luck and I will let you know what I find out......Oleander

Old 10-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
Yes I was treated as a teenager for low immune system with Gammagobulin shots.

I think this has a huge impact on tests but many Doctors are not educated on it. I think when I show a elevated anything it means it is really high. I am what you call a non responder to vaccines also. Hep B series twice and my titre will not rise, small pox given 6 times as a child and no scar or no reaction at all?????? I stay clear of vaccines.

I am going to see what my new Rheumatologist has to say...I am on his waiting list to be seen. Referred there by my Immunologist.

Good luck and I will let you know what I find out......Oleander
Oh gosh yes please! I wanted a second opinion, with all that I have going on I think its lupus and not fibro and my rheumy thinks I can spontaneously make antibodies now

Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Personally, I hate to be negative but I think we will run into a brick wall.

I am already so frustrated with the Doctors I am running into. I keep hearing an negative ANA means you are fine.....HELLO !!!! ?

I will get some answers, I luckily have good insurance and I will keep going until I get an answer and find someone with a brain.

I have been sick since 9/13, achy, short of breath, extreme fatigue, my fever is gone finally, chest xray neg, ESR and CPR sky high, the Doctors in the ER said it was a lupus flare, then the immunologist said it was a Lupus Flare but when the ANA came back neg suddenly everyone changed their minds.

I feel like crap. I would be willing to bet if I took a prednisone pill I would feel better. I have some for my allergies. I mean I have been sick for 18 days now.

But I am going to get this figured out..........I will let you know.

Also if you need IGIV call the Manufacturers and ask them for help. CSL , Talecris, Grifol's, or Baxter..... they have programs to help people who do not have insurance. Hope that helps you....

Oleander

Closed Thread