It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

lulu2008 HB User
Question about my 14 month old son

My baby has had recurring petechaie since about 6 months, maybe earlier, but this was when the pediatrician pointed it out to me (I thought it was a heat rash.) He gets it randomly, does not have symptoms of any kind, just happens. It is usually on his belly, chest, and back and sometimes on the inner forearms but never his face or legs. In August (just before his first bday) he had a 105 fever, lethargy and petechaie and we took him to the nearest hospital and they admitted him to a nearby Children's hospital. They did a spinal tap and a cbc and his spinal tap was clear but his cbc showed bandemia, anemia, as well as very low lymphocytes. After 2 days his fever resolved and they sent him home w/ a referral to hematology. Hemotologists tested his platelets, checked for autoimmune diseases and did some immune system tests and they just saw him again and gave us the results. He is still anemic, in fact his rbc, hematocrit and hemoglobin all went down even after 2 months of iron therapy. His BUN is elevated at 20 (normal is up to 11) and his BUN/Creatinine ratio is also elevated at 63 (normal is up to 20, I believe.) His globulin is low and his alubim/globumin ratio is high. His IgE is low, his IgG is low and his IgG serum is low. His CD3+. CD4+ and NK cells are high and his CD18 is low. All they could tell me is that they aren't sure why but that he is immuno compromised and to take extra precaution with keeping him away from sick people and to wash his hands well. He is still breast feeding which I attribute with keeping him well because he has only been sick once in his life (the time he was hospitalized, still aren't sure what virus he had.) They said to watch for any fevers, rash, or other symptoms and if he stays well to come back in a month for more labs. He has severe eczema which is on his feet, behind his knees, hands, under his chin and on his chest. It is so bad it cracks and bleeds despite using heavy cream, bathing only 2x a week and using all "free" laundry/soap products. He looks pale, has circles under his eyes and does sleep a lot (2 long naps and 11 hours at night a day) but other than that he seems very well and happy. What do I make of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Question about my 14 month old son

There are a whole bunch of immune disorders that have both eczema and immune problems as main features. Sounds as if they are just waiting and watching to find out which one your little one has.

The good news is that once they do find out, there are treatments for most of them.

Check out the National Institutes of Health and their website on immuno-deficiency disorders. I know of one family who has 2 daughters who are only the 10th and 11th people in the world with a particular immune deficiency....and they found a way to treat them and hopefully cure them.

good luck................Jenny

Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
(female)

ragamuffinsc HB User
Re: Question about my 14 month old son

I would ask to have him genetically tested for NEMO...THis is a rare Immune disorder that occurs only in bys. Those are the main symptoms of NEMO. My son has been tested & was positive as a carrier of it. He has SCID with Complete T-Cell Dysfunction dx'ed at age 3. He is on Life long Sub-Q Treatments of Gammagard S/D to minimize his hospital stays...which at one time he spent 8 months straight in the hospital. No fun with a child
The breatfeeding IS a good thing, but after a yr. in age he is no longer getting antibodies from you, just supplemental feeds. Good luck and hope he gets better really soon

Closed Thread