It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Immune Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

ashleylala HB User
Help w/ lab results: tetanus antigen & pneumococcal titer

I have two questions:

My daughter had a lymphocyte antigen & mitogen blood test. She had no response to the tetanus antigen. However - she has previously been tested for her response to the tetanus vaccine and she had good results. I'm confused - how could she have the antibody, but not respond to the antigen?

The other question I have is that she had the pneumococcal titer test done. She responded to all but one type. What does this mean? (she has not had the Pneumonvax yet - she is too young. She has only had the Prevnar vaccine)

She is having these tests done because she has been hospitalized with RSV & pneumonia twice in less than one year (different winter seasons).

I received these results over the phone tonight and the immunologist says she doesn't know what this means (?!?!)

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kelli1b HB Userkelli1b HB User
Re: Help w/ lab results: tetanus antigen & pneumococcal titer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleylala View Post
I have two questions:

My daughter had a lymphocyte antigen & mitogen blood test. She had no response to the tetanus antigen. However - she has previously been tested for her response to the tetanus vaccine and she had good results. I'm confused - how could she have the antibody, but not respond to the antigen?

The other question I have is that she had the pneumococcal titer test done. She responded to all but one type. What does this mean? (she has not had the Pneumonvax yet - she is too young. She has only had the Prevnar vaccine)

She is having these tests done because she has been hospitalized with RSV & pneumonia twice in less than one year (different winter seasons).

I received these results over the phone tonight and the immunologist says she doesn't know what this means (?!?!)

Thank you for your help.
What are her IgG levels? I know with CVID, my IgG was super low and I didn't respond to pneumonia vaccine and dtp vaccine. Those two were the end all of tests that told my immuno why my IgG levels were so low. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #3
(female)

ashleylala HB User

Her IgG levels were checked in April, and they were normal. (her regular pedi had ordered that test)

This immune doctor did NOT recheck the IgG, IgM, etc and I asked her if we should and she said since they were normal in April, that we don't need to recheck them.

I'm not sure if that is wise or not...can't those levels drop over time?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Her IgG levels were checked in April, and they were normal. (her regular pedi had ordered that test)

This immune doctor did NOT recheck the IgG, IgM, etc and I asked her if we should and she said since they were normal in April, that we don't need to recheck them.

I'm not sure if that is wise or not...can't those levels drop over time?
Yes they can fluctuate. I was healthy my whole life then after my daughter was born is when I developed CVID. My IgG levels were in the low 200's. Now with treatment they are over 1000. I'm not sure on this one honestly, if they were checked when she was sick then they were probably accurate, depending on her age as very young childrens immune system isn't fully developed until 2 (I think thats what I read).

Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
(female)

ashleylala HB User

When her levels were checked in April and they were normal, that was AFTER her first hospitalization for RSV/Pneumonia...so I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing!

I guess I feel like I've lost a little confidence in this doctor, since she doesn't know how to interpret the tetanus antigen result. I know it's complicated for me, a regular person, but she is an immunologist - this is what she went to school for. How can it be so hard to interpret? Maybe I'm just naive. And, I'm a paranoid mother who wants answers!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
When her levels were checked in April and they were normal, that was AFTER her first hospitalization for RSV/Pneumonia...so I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing!

I guess I feel like I've lost a little confidence in this doctor, since she doesn't know how to interpret the tetanus antigen result. I know it's complicated for me, a regular person, but she is an immunologist - this is what she went to school for. How can it be so hard to interpret? Maybe I'm just naive. And, I'm a paranoid mother who wants answers!
Typically, people do not specialize in "immunology". I was told the other day in the US you can only go to school for allergy/immunology (only in Canada can you go specifically for immunology), then you choose to specialize in one or the other. You can try contacting the immune deficiency foundation and they can provide a list of people who specialize in these areas. If you are not happy, get a second opinion....it is your right

Closed Thread